Twitter: Cowboys to meet QB Jeff Driskel

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Driskel actually works, in terms of the Offense. Driskel is big and fast, above average arm. His strengths, physically, fit what our Offense does. He can physically execute our offense. His problems were always mechanics and his ability to read defenses. As a back up, he's not ideal IMO, Dalton was a much, much better option. But, he's better then what we have now. He's been in the league like 5 years now? He has 8 or 10 starts so in terms of experience, he has more in the NFL. He would not be my choice but if he can be signed to a reasonable deal, then bring him in and let he and Gilbert compete for the backup job.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
To be honest, I might just wait. There is risk if you do that but I don't love Driskel and I mean, there were 8 QBs taken in the first three rounds. All of those guys are going to get at least one season and probably more. That means that 8 teams will be letting QBs go. Maybe you wait and see who gets released?

conner01

Reaction score
I agree that Dinucci wasn't ready. However, Romo showed signs that he could make plays. He gave you hope. Dinucci left me wondering how he was ever even a college QB. Ever throw, except his first throw, was wild and awkward looking. Having OTAs, training camp, and preseason games should benefit him. Hopefully, he can show us something in preseason.
A big difference
Romo was playing early in training camp with a better online and against backups and players who didn’t make the team
A training makes a world of difference to a young player

nobody

Reaction score
DiNucci is horrific. We seen his start vs those Egals last season. Why he's still on this roster is mind boggling.

Normally I might agree, but him being a 7th (and thus a development player for backup) on top of a wounded o-line on top of no real training camp should be extenuating circumstances enough to give him a pass for that game. After all, a 7th round rookie qb should -never- even see play time especially without a full training camp.

Don't get me wrong, I have no skin in the game whether they keep him or not. He's not a pet cat. But the brutality people are showing him here is kind of silly given the circumstances.

conner01

Reaction score
This this and this!!!!

I watched him at JMU and it was the same thing. Being raw, making mistakes but showing promise is one thing. I just haven’t seen much positive from him
You haven’t seen him except in a real game against starting lineups with no training camp

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
gilbert needs play time and a chance to show his skills at normal conditions . last year he barely got a chance with a broken OL . Too bad there is no preseason games anymore to test players

There will be a few PS games this year. Just need to determine how many. We play the Steelers in the HOF game. I think it is August 5th.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
First off, I don't care that you referred to me as coming off like an idiot because I gave MY opinion of a player. Can we not debate on this forum without being attacked?
Second, you mention that he had multiple years of game time experience. Really? You may want to look up his stats again. Prior to his 1 start in Dallas he had thrown 6 passes in the NFL. He is what you refer to as a journeyman bench warmer. He has been 3rd string or practice squad most of his career.
Third, maybe I was a little brutal in regards to his 1 start. He certainly performed better than I expected. I don't mind giving him a shot at the backup spot. Right now we really don't have many options. However, if we have a chance to bring in competition then we should do it. I'm not a big Driskel fan but he has way more experience than Gilbert. He has 345 pass attempts with 13 TDs and 8 ints with 3 rushing TDs. Why not kick the tires?
You just don't know when to quit digging. First, there is a huge difference between an opinion and a fact. I welcome all opinions but you are not entitled to your own facts. When you say a player only played one game his entire career, that's not an opinion it's attempting to state a fact but in the case of Garrett Gilbert, it's just flat-out inaccurate. He did in fact play in multiple games in multiple years no matter how many passes he threw. He is a vested veteran but you would have us think otherwise. Conceding you were brutal in regards to his game against the Steelers last season does not save you from your other inaccurate statements. If you want to express your opinion, please feel free. I will never challenge your opinion, including preferring to bring in Driskel for the backup spot. I like that you had to do your research to get Driskel's stats right. I only wish you had done the same before you said Garrett Gilbert had only played one game his entire career. That obvious fallacy made you sound like(I'm going to say it again) an idiot.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Diskell is a professional backup. Like a mini coach at this point. You don't want a newbie serving as the #2, that isn't a spot for a developmental guy, it is a spot for the guy who helps the developmental guy
So you are calling Dak a developmental guy?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
DiNucci is horrific. We seen his start vs those Egals last season. Why he's still on this roster is mind boggling.
To be fair, dinucci was in no way ready to start a nfl game, and should have never been given the start. That is on Mike.
And he is friends with dinucci and his family, so he is mikes pet cat, so that is why he is still around.
But if they bring driskel in , it will be telling as to what they do with dinucci then.

Carson

Reaction score
You haven’t seen him except in a real game against starting lineups with no training camp
I’ve seen every snap he took at JMU. He was one of those guys the fans rejoiced when he graduated.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Romo was never forced into the lineup as a rookie. He would have been equally as awful if that had happened.
Even tony said that same thing, he said he was in no way ready to play in nfl his rookie season, and even the 2nd year.
I dont think brady was ready either.

I will say this Romo owes his career to Parcells, who got him on the field, and let him finish the season over bledsoe.
Jerry would have never allowed that with another HC.
Romo lost his first game, I think, and jerry would have got a vet, and pulled Romo.

Carson

Reaction score
Even tony said that same thing, he said he was in no way ready to play in nfl his rookie season, and even the 2nd year.
I dont think brady was ready either.

I will say this Romo owes his career to Parcells, who got him on the field, and let him finish the season over bledsoe.
Jerry would have never allowed that with another HC.
Romo lost his first game, I think, and jerry would have got a vet, and pulled Romo.
Scouts knew something was there with Romo

The Skinny: This guy may be the gem of this deep QB class. He is an ideal fit for the West Coast offense that emphasizes accuracy, mobility and quick decision-making. He has the triangle numbers NFL scouts seek in a pro prospect and he has the makeup to become a starter with further development and continued improvement. He has the talent to surprise over time and may be the best small college passer since Kurt Warner.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
gilbert needs play time and a chance to show his skills at normal conditions . last year he barely got a chance with a broken OL . Too bad there is no preseason games anymore to test players
Yes and he wont get that, jerry will go vets with experience , higher draft picks, bigger names.
Like last year was perfect time to play gilbert, but jerry wanted Dalton to take over for several reasons, dalton has bigger name, and was starter for long time, and was higher draft pick.
Also he was paying dalton way more, and jerry thought it was best chance to win some games, and that is why jerry will always be a loser in football.
And mike is a wus, and probably just went along with whatever jerry wants.
Mike wants to win, but mostly he wants to keep his job, so that means go along with jerry.