Twitter: Cowboys to meet with T Cameron Fleming

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
What about this scenario?

Instead of paying Cooper to return at left guard, the team pays both Fleming and Waddle at tackle?

Let them compete for the right tackle job and move Collins back to left guard.

And the "loser" of the competition at right tackle becomes your backup/swing tackle option.

Neither Fleming nor Waddle made $2 million last year, so either one might cost around the same that Cooper would.

Smith - Collins - Frederick - Martin - Waddle/Fleming

I think it's certainly a much more palatable situation than the thought of relying on Chaz Green in the mix.

Who is your swing guard/center, though?

I guess we could bring Looney back, but I don't see him being a better fill-in than Cooper. I just think with a top six of Smith, Collins, Frederick, Martin, Fleming and Cooper, we could have a solid five in there no matter what. In your scenario, Looney (or another backup G/C) would have to be part of the mix if an interior starter goes out.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who is your swing guard/center, though?

You would still need that spot, in any of the scenarios. Either Marcus Martin who they're visiting with, or bringing back Joe Looney. But none of these moves changes that.

I guess we could bring Looney back, but I don't see him being a better fill-in than Cooper. I just think with a top six of Smith, Collins, Frederick, Martin, Fleming and Cooper, we could have a solid five in there no matter what. In your scenario, Looney (or another backup G/C) would have to be part of the mix if an interior starter goes out.

The same for yours. There's no backup center in your projected lineup, unless you're trying to count Cooper.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Just heard on Mad dog Adam Shine just said Suh headed to dine with the Rams for today. Can you image a motivated Suh and Donald?
Wade Phillips woukd be like a kid in a candy store.

Sydla

Reaction score
I am not as against moving Collins back to LG as others. But they better have a RT in place.

And no, I am not for moving Collins back to LG so they can take a RT at 19.

Sydla

Reaction score
Just heard on Mad dog Adam Shine just said Suh headed to dine with the Rams for today. Can you image a motivated Suh and Donald?

I'd much more like a motivated Suh playing next to Irving and Collins. That would be dominant.

But alas.............

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wade Phillips woukd be like a kid in a candy store.

I can't imagine how they could afford both Suh and Donald's contract extension. At all.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not as against moving Collins back to LG as others. But they better have a RT in place.

And no, I am not for moving Collins back to LG so they can take a RT at 19.

I'm warming up to the idea of moving Collins back to guard for one reason. Inside you have to deal with him There's no running around him there. Outside, you can slip by him occasionally and admittedly that happened in his first year at right tackle. Not to the degree some contend, but it happened nonetheless.

But if you do that, you'd better not only have a replacement, but a better backup plan at tackle than the disaster you had in 2017. The one that effectively derailed your entire offense.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I can't imagine how they could afford both Suh and Donald's contract extension. At all.
rams can easily afford suh this year.
half their starters are free agents next year so they would have to deal with it next year.
rams can easily game their cap into at least 3 glorious years of contention before serious consequences have to be dealt with.

gimmesix

Reaction score
You would still need that spot, in any of the scenarios. Either Marcus Martin who they're visiting with, or bringing back Joe Looney. But none of these moves changes that.

The same for yours. There's no backup center in your projected lineup, unless you're trying to count Cooper.

So essentially you're saying pay for a starting tackle, a swing tackle and a guard/center in free agency? I think the prices will be too steep for Dallas to do that when they've got Green making less than a million. I think the Cowboys are going to rely on their new coach to fix Green. If we're interested in acquiring both Fleming and Waddle instead of either/or, I would find it extremely surprising.

And yes, Cooper would be the backup center, which he showed he could do last preseason.

phildadon86

Reaction score
And huge contracts coming up for Gurley, Peters, and Goff as well.
Yeah I cant understand what the thought behind this is. Unless they rent him for one year to get a ring. It makes no sense. May just be an agent thing to drum up more interest in the NFC.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Maybe do like the egirls do, one year and let's go from there. Interesting concept boys, let's try it sometime.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So essentially you're saying pay for a starting tackle, a swing tackle and a guard/center in free agency?

Based on the players involved last salary? You're talking $1.2 million for Waddle, $1.8 million for Fleming, and $800,000 for Joe Looney.

Cooper alone cost $2 million last year for comparison. And Marcus Martin made something like $1.8 million in Cleveland and never took a snap.

I'm not saying you will get them for those amounts, but exactly how much do people expect them to now cost?

I think the prices will be too steep for Dallas to do that when they've got Green making less than a million. I think the Cowboys are going to rely on their new coach to fix Green. If we're interested in acquiring both Fleming and Waddle instead of either/or, I would find it extremely surprising.

The words "rely" and "Green" should never be used in the same sentence. That is exactly what cost yiu in 2017. Any scenario that does that is a recipe for failure. I will gladly cut Green and pile that $700,000 onto the table for any of the other names mentioned here.

And yes, Cooper would be the backup center, which he showed he could do last preseason.

Did he? Maybe I missed it?

gimmesix

Reaction score
Based on the players involved last salary? You're talking $1.2 million for Waddle, $1.8 million for Fleming, and $800,000 for Joe Looney.

Cooper alone cost $2 million last year for comparison. And Marcus Martin made something like $1.8 million in Cleveland and never took a snap.

I'm not saying you will get them for those amounts, but exactly how much do people expect them to now cost?

The words "rely" and "Green" should never be used in the same sentence. That is exactly what cost yiu in 2017. Any scenario that does that is a recipe for failure. I will gladly cut Green and pile that $700,000 onto the table for any of the other names mentioned here.

Did he? Maybe I missed it?

I don't see any way we're getting Fleming for less than $4 million a year if he's looking to start. Waddle may be similar because I bet he's looking to start, too, which would preclude him coming here if we sign Fleming.

Martin probably will be similar to what Cooper would cost us, so I guess it would be a question with them of which one you like better.

If Dallas can have Green as the backup for less than $1 million vs. Waddle as the backup for $2 million-plus, which one do you think the Cowboys are going to pick? Again, I believe the thought process is going to be that the new coach can get Green back to what he was at tackle in 2016 when he stepped in and played fine for both Smith and Free.

The reason I'm for re-signing Cooper is because I don't trust that plan. I'd rather have it so even if we keep Green, he doesn't see the field unless we lose two starters. (And if we draft well at the position, maybe he doesn't even see the field then or doesn't make the team.)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't see any way we're getting Fleming for less than $4 million a year if he's looking to start. Waddle may be similar because I bet he's looking to start, too, which would preclude him coming here if we sign Fleming.

So let's see, $4 million a year for Either one. Which you would essentially be paying Cooper and Chaz Green in 2018. At a minimum. So it's either Cooper and Green or Waddle? Again, I'll take Waddle. And have Collins back at left guard.

Fleming you were signing anyway, right? So his numbers don't factor into this conversation.

Martin probably will be similar to what Cooper would cost us, so I guess it would be a question with them of which one you like better.

I'd completely disagree with this. Say what you want about Cooper, but he fit in well on this line. Martin never played a snap last year. One arrow is pointing up - along with the price tag - and the other is pointing down.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You don't appear to understand the salary cap and NFL contracts. Collins average salary is 7.7M per.

You definitely have a reading comprehension problem. As I CORRECTLY STATED Collins has a BASE salary of 4.35 mil and Smith has a BASE salary of 10 ml. There is a huge difference between a BASE salary and a cap hit for the year.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
he was bad the entire year in 17..first at G than at LT and anytime he was on the field..no we didn't forget .. funny these people like you say don't forget? really how about what Dak did in 16? hes being destroyed for having a down season in his sophomore year..witten is a HOF and they are trying to force his retirement in this forum.,., how aboiut Dez he owns a lot of passing records and really he played pretty well in 16 especially in the GB playoff game, yet hes not getting abreak...Sean lee puts up 16 game numbers in 12 games and they want him gone..

So why would a spare like green get pass when hes done squat and those guys above own cowboys records and are full time legit starters??that's the point..

Again, Green hadn't played guard until thrown in there for 2017 and then had exactly ONE padded practice before replacing Smith for the falcon game to get up to speed at playing tackle again. Yes Green had a TERRIBLE game, but play pretty good for Smith for 3 games for Smith the year before. I just find it funny how so many want to brand any player anything after a single bad game when that player in the past played good. No I don't think Green is the next great RT, but I also won't brand him anything after just that terrible falcons game.