Cowboys to meet with Zimmer

chuck520

Reaction score
How do you know this? Defense wins championships and Zimmer has never been to a SB and only once been beyond the divisional round.

Why do you want a return to the 8-8 standard?
Zimmer was on the 1995 Cowboys Super Bowl champions team

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I don’t remember him as a pressure D guy - he was always more conservative - bend don’t break

He couldn’t run his defense to its full potential because for most of the early 00’s it lacked talent. However if you watched him later on you will see his defense is a pressure defense. I’m not sure why everyone thinks what he runs is exactly what he ran 20 years ago.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Zimmer was on the 1995 Cowboys Super Bowl champions team
He wasn't the coordinator of the Defense nor a Head Coach at the time. No Zimmer lead defense has ever won a championship. You may as well call for Campo's return since he too was on that staff.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
He couldn’t run his defense to its full potential because for most of the early 00’s it lacked talent. However if you watched him later on you will see his defense is a pressure defense. I’m not sure why everyone thinks what he runs is exactly what he ran 20 years ago.
You can't point to any of Zimmer's defenses winning a championship*.

* = Zimmer as either HC or DC for the intentionally obtuse.

I'm not sure why you guys want to return to what we know will not work here.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Um. But. Hold up. I'll take these results any day... and why wouldn't I?

2024-02-01_17-50-19.png.7200c736f5966586981c2ad062aae5c3.png
Show me the championships that he won on that list.

Why do you want to return to what we already know is failure?

RonWashington

Reaction score
Home run!

Really ? I remember some mediocrity going down in Minn. if MM is lame duck hire from within and move on . Get through 24 and totally clean house let Dak contract play out . Right now this team not constructed to make deep playoff run it’s that simple

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
You can't point to any of Zimmer's defenses winning a championship*.

* = Zimmer as either HC or DC for the intentionally obtuse.

I'm not sure why you guys want to return to what we know will not work here.
Who pointed to these things? Seems you just want to start sh…

_sturt_

Reaction score
Show me the championships that he won on that list.
Show me the logic in believing that any defensive coordinator ever is held responsible for the production of the offense and special teams in addition to the defense.

It's nonsense. You're grasping so hard, it's a little pitiful to watch, it really is.

Why do you want to return to what we already know is failure?
If this is failure, yes, give me failure.

There are comparable records in terms of defensive ranking, but if there were any that clearly eclipsed that one, you would have cited it by now. You cannot. And so, you're left to cast hollow denigration as-if it is merited. It is not.

But wait.

It's worse than that, if I recall correctly... you prefer someone with no record. (True?)

And while I get it that it's great when you can identify that hot-shot up-and-comer position coach and give him that responsibility, what's lacking in your reasoning is (a) this team is not in a developmental phase that it otherwise might make sense to roll that dice on someone... and (b)... the DCs that, per NFLPA, are believed by the players themselves to be best are DCs that have HC experience.

I don't make this stuff up. And I don't make the rules of logic... those just are what they are... and unlike some, I don't pretend they don't exist.

75boyz

Reaction score
If seen as a possible down year, then Zimmer makes as much sense as any other DC name we could plug in for one year in anticipation of a whole new staff thereafter.

chuck520

Reaction score
He wasn't the coordinator of the Defense nor a Head Coach at the time. No Zimmer lead defense has ever won a championship. You may as well call for Campo's return since he too was on that staff.
Thats not always a measure of a great defensive coordinator. You have to look at rankings, forced turnovers, sacks, 3rd down stops, etc
I remember his defenses under Campo were decent when the offense was awful.

Zimmer was on the staff in the late 1990's when they won the Super Bowl title, went from 4-3 to 3-4 in Parcells years. He was hired as the nickel coach which means he understands third down defense, getting off the field.
#1 defense in Parcells first year, then Parcells changed the defense and he was able to transition it.
He had good Bengals and Vikings teams. He has experience and he has changed over the years so he it shows he able to update his approach as the times change.

He's also the type of coach to hold his guys responsible for their play. He knows the situation and he's not thinking about his next job. He just wants to coach.
The problem we had with Quinn this year is that his focus was split on finding a coaching job. It will be nice to have someone just focused on coaching the defense.

What coordinator out there has won a Super Bowl title? Wade Phillips? He runs a 3-4.
Mike Vrabel won as a player but not a coach
Belichick isnt coming as a DC
Rivera won as a player but not a coach