Twitter: Cowboys to name Doug Nussmeier TE Coach

ESisback

Reaction score
There was some noob here today, or last evening whining about armchair GM's and said that age old "If y'all were so good, why aren't you GM's?" like it works like that.
There's a reason the Jeff Fishers of the world keep getting jobs: Good 'Ol Boy's Network.
Exact same thing in my field of work.

If you're In, you're IN, but to get IN...

It's not how good you are, it's the circles you keep.
Actually, I see BOTH sides, and I'm NOT a "noob"! I agree, politics, but I also think that the majority of those immersed in it for a living are more qualified than the majority of disgruntled fans.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The Cowboys are expected to name Doug Nussmeier as tight ends coach, according to sources. Nussmeier was the offensive coordinator at Florida last season. He has also been the offensive coordinator at Michigan and Alabama. He had a five-year NFL career as a backup quarterback with the New Orleans Saints and Indianapolis Colts. He was the quarterbacks coach for the St. Louis Rams for two seasons when offensive coordinator Scott Linehan was head coach. Like Linehan, he played collegiately at Idaho.

More Linehan connections...

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Actually, I see BOTH sides, and I'm NOT a "noob"! I agree, politics, but I also think that the majority of those immersed in it for a living are more qualified than the majority of disgruntled fans.
Wasn't talking about you, my friend, but now I have my eye on you.
dun dun dunnnnnnn...

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Folks, get over having a problem with the "Linehan connection" and take note of reality. It is VERY common for teams to hire people that they know and/or have worked with before. It happens all the time.

Think about if you were the person needing to hire someone, and the decision came down to 2 candidates, and one you felt would do a good job, but the other you have actually worked with in the past and have 1st hand knowledge he would do a good job. Who would you hire?

This is how the real world works, and both in football and in businesses of every kind past past connections, and previous experience with a candidate for a job come into play all the time. Having first hand knowledge how hard a guy works and how sharp his mind is isn't really a negative.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Probably because he'll make an excellent scapegoat if things don't work out. They can blame it all on Scott and his guys and get rid of them while Garrett survives.

Where is the history of the team doing this?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I don't want anyone with ties to Linehan.

CWR

Reaction score
Seeing His papered credentials we're immediately encouraging:thumbup:

Then I stumbled across these couple of 'added' insights,,,o_O

Then more "positive reenforcement",,,:huh:,,,YES!
I'M JAZZED.
:starspin::thumbup::starspin:

Haha, I was fishing. Figured surely someone would be upset about my optimism. Honestly though with most of these position coaches I have a wait and see approach. I do think some of them have a good pedigree and it seems smart to go with Linehan guys for now. I suspect if next season doesnt go well we will clean house regardless.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So, what does this mean for Marc Columbo? Is he still on the coaching staff? I know a lot of guys were laughing about him being a TE's coach, but I didn't think it was all that crazy. I like Columbo. I hope he's still around in some capacity.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, what does this mean for Marc Columbo? Is he still on the coaching staff? I know a lot of guys were laughing about him being a TE's coach, but I didn't think it was all that crazy. I like Columbo. I hope he's still around in some capacity.

I suspect he will still be around as the assistant O-Line coach, and you are right that it wasn't crazy to think of Colombo as a TE coach. Fans didn't bother to realize that a lot of TE coaches weren't actually TEs in their playing days, and some never even played on the O-Line, but in their zeal to trash the Cowboys they used that kind of thing to act as if the Cowboys were considering something wildly illogical. I got the concern about him only having been a coach at all for a couple of years, but having been an NFL player for many years has to count for something.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

He's still assistant OL coach, as far as we've heard. I agree. I've got a soft spot for him because of the Dante Hall thing.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
If Jerry hired a Linehan guy, does that mean that when Jason gets fired, Linehan will be our next head coach?

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Haha, I was fishing. Figured surely someone would be upset about my optimism. Honestly though with most of these position coaches I have a wait and see approach. I do think some of them have a good pedigree and it seems smart to go with Linehan guys for now. I suspect if next season doesnt go well we will clean house regardless.
:lmao:
That's a seldom seen word around here : Optimism & this is the time for it's infectious spread, I'm laying my '20/20 hindsight' cards down on the table right now, #4 will continue to struggle in 2018 while improving (some) but throwing another high draft pick towards his betterment in a WR isn't the cure for what's ailing him.
We need to shore up the defense in a major effort this spring,at least two LB's of league playing caliber,the DL needs one also, wanting and needing a strong position player at safety might have to wait or be aquired in FA, I'll be bummed if we draft more than one player on offense (lineman) within the first 4 rounds
( man,we have potent firepower enough on that side of the ball, it's just not being properly employed)

:starspin::star::starspin:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Jerry hired a Linehan guy, does that mean that when Jason gets fired, Linehan will be our next head coach?

Does having been a coach under Linehan for a few seasons 10 years ago necessarily make him a "Linehan guy"? Coaches that have been around as long as Linehan, and have coached in as many places as Linehan have crossed paths with a lot of other coaches, and it wouldn't make sense to eliminate a potential coach because he worked with Linehan at one point.

As for the rest, if Garrett goes down, the coordinators that were in it with him will go down too.