Cowboys to Resign B Butler today

lonestar2288

Reaction score
My guess would be Hurns if a WR. My guess is they short change another position instead though

jrumann59

Reaction score
The article says all our WRs are "complementary pieces" but apparently the answer is Brice Butler, who has never learned more than one route and who was just cut by the Cardinals.

Sure, why not.
all the receivers can run all the routes except the Go effectively so now they have a Go guy...

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
One is an accomplished player and the other isnt.
Hmmmm. So, if a player scorches the bridge on the way out, no worries letting him back into our valuable locker room just as long as he's somewhat "accomplished". Ok. Gotcha. Thanks for sharing that interesting perspective.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Hmmmm. So, if a player scorches the bridge on the way out, no worries letting him back into our valuable locker room just as long as he's somewhat "accomplished". Ok. Gotcha. Thanks for sharing that interesting perspective.

More like this passing game hasn't been up to snuff so far so let's see if an old player can give it a jump start. If not, move on again. I see it as a low risk move with decent potential for return.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
Who gets cut? Hurns? Williams? Do they keep 7 WR?
Probably Hurns. His dead money hit is $2.5M vs. $7.25M of Williams. It doesn't help that he's been underwhelming since getting here. At least with T.Will, you know exactly the floor/ceiling and he is durable as hell. With Hurns, his ceiling is also set, but maybe this team is now seeing his floor and is realizing it's lower than expected...... like a basement below T-Will's.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Butler is better than Williams. He can actually "catch" the deep passes with his hands vs his body. I would much rather him out there than Williams.

Kaiser

Reaction score
all the receivers can run all the routes except the Go effectively so now they have a Go guy...

I think Deonte Thompson can as well, that is basically why he was signed.

There was chatter on twitter that this move is happening because a suspension is coming. I wonder if its TWill because they are going to put Thompson in the Y role (which he has done for the last six quarters) and then Butler in those specialty sets for go routes.

Carson

Reaction score
I think Deonte Thompson can as well, that is basically why he was signed.

There was chatter on twitter that this move is happening because a suspension is coming. I wonder if its TWill because they are going to put Thompson in the Y role (which he has done for the last six quarters) and then Butler in those specialty sets for go routes.

That’s what Mike Fisher is hinting at

The Natural

Reaction score
Save me your lame duck response. You wanted to know the difference, there it is.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Who gets cut? Hurns? Williams? Do they keep 7 WR?
Someone will. Curious to see who. Williams contract doesn’t give us any cap room if released so we’ll see. Thompson if released before a certain time we can get a fourth round pick

Kaiser

Reaction score
That’s what Mike Fisher is hinting at

Makes a lot of sense, Thompson had zero preseason reps and very few practices - but then he has taken more snaps than TWill, the guy that has played with Dak for three years. That always seemed odd to me (and I've never been a TWill fan).

Reaction score
Probably Hurns. His dead money hit is $2.5M vs. $7.25M of Williams. It doesn't help that he's been underwhelming since getting here. At least with T.Will, you know exactly the floor/ceiling and he is durable as hell. With Hurns, his ceiling is also set, but maybe this team is now seeing his floor and is realizing it's lower than expected...... like a basement below T-Will's.

Who cares about dead money for this season? Keep the better player (Hurns).

Sydla

Reaction score
No. It would be moronic to sign Gordon, who is a walking train wreck. Can’t baby sit every player.

No downside. What's the worst thing that happens? Gordon gets suspended and doesn't play and you end up with the same WR corps you have now anyway?

The upside, where you get a legit elite level WR talent, far outweighs any downside.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
Who cares about dead money for this season? Keep the better player (Hurns).
"Well, if's he's so great...then why's he available?" - Mickey Spags

The question was posed as who would "They" cut. Obvious answer is Hurns. Who would I cut? The answer is still Hurns. I don't understand why we brought him in. We had a serious need for: Speed/Route running/#1 WR. We brought in a #2 WR that has none of that and has durability issues.

Deonte Thompson has shown more in our offense (despite missing time in TC, unlike Hurns), cost less and is the K/R.