Signed by Cowboys Cowboys trade for Michael Bennett

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seems like a classic Jerry move to me. Seduced by the talent with no regard to what it does to the locker room.

I'm not sure about that. Jerry has to know about Bennett's pre-game stance and I know he doesn't go for that.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
You gotta follow the money. I have no doubt the Patriots wanted nothing to do with the guys base salary next year. They will do far more with the 8 million in salary cap then what Bennett was providing. If we think we are getting the better end of a deal with the Patriots it is because we are playing checkers and they are playing chess.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'm always skeptical of any team that trades with Belichick, but his angle seems clear here. The Patriots are over the salary cap and need to shed some payroll. Bennett is a prick who they were barely even playing. Salary dumping him makes sense from a Hoodie perspective.

For a literally free 9 game rental, I am all on board with Bennett. He can bring the pass rush, and while he doesn't help in run D, I personally think our run defense issues are way overblown.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Exactly Idgit, I agree completely.
We have the number 1 ranked offense in the league and we are 4-3:huh:

Clearly defense is an issue and Bennett can obviously help with the pass rush.

Safety is another weakness of this defense, that is why I was screaming for Earl Thomas, but we decided to play with what we got.:(

Offense has been an issue, too. We only scored 10 points against New Orleans. Turnovers made it tougher on the defense against Green Bay. We scored nothing until we were down 24-0.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I'm always skeptical of any team that trades with Belichick, but his angle seems clear here. The Patriots are over the salary cap and need to shed some payroll. Bennett is a prick who they were barely even playing. Salary dumping him makes sense from a Hoodie perspective.

For a literally free 9 game rental, I am all on board with Bennett. He can bring the pass rush, and while he doesn't help in run D, I personally think our run defense issues are way overblown.
How in the world do you figure it is free? We traded a 6th round pick for him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would think Kris Richard past history with Bennett was a determining factor in Dallas signing him.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Interesting.

I don't necessarily think a 34 year old is going to come light the world on fire, but these are the kind of trades where a team can get some real value without much risk. He can give DE snaps and DT pass rushing snaps. Should probably look at these types of guys every year, in this NFL you can't have enough guys on the DL that can actually do something.

If only we were capable of self evaluation during the actual offseason, and not nearly halfway through the regular season.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting.

I don't necessarily think a 34 year old is going to come light the world on fire, but these are the kind of trades where a team can get some real value without much risk. He can give DE snaps and DT pass rushing snaps. Should probably look at these types of guys every year, in this NFL you can't have enough guys on the DL that can actually do something.

If only we were capable of self evaluation during the actual offseason, and not nearly halfway through the regular season.

If we did that, maybe we'd have Gerald McCoy on our defensive line instead of Crawford on IR?

Just a thought.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Kris Richard must of been some influence and Jerry believes that since he worked with Bennett in Seattle then he can do it again.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Funny how the Bennett brothers are always the victims. Can you imagine if just one time either one of them ever actually stoop up and took responsibility for their own actions. I am pretty sad that we would employ one yet again.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
This made me legit LOL.

The DEs are scary, but the DTs? Nope.

I think, and hope, Bennett can fire up the pass rush, but there's only 2 DEs on the field, still need the DTs to provide some inside rush, regardless of how good Bennett is or plays...