Twitter: Cowboys tried to trade for Von Miller

Verdict

Reaction score
And they’re going to need those draft picks to restock after the free agents losses after this season.

They might beta 3rd back for his departure, but a second round pick is too much for a half season rental.

Verdict

Reaction score
I don’t think the Cowboys were offering a 2nd round draft pick. My guess is that the Cowboys may have offered Armstrong and/or Anae, or Kamara and maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick.

I would have at least offered Lawrence for Miller straight up. Cowboys would have had to eat a lot of Lawrence’s contract to make that happen though. I doubt it was possible under the cap this year for either team.
I’m not sure why we would do that. That sounds like a horrible idea at first blush. Can you state your rationale for making a deal like that? I’m curious, in a watching a train wreck sort of way.

Verdict

Reaction score
A game of Trade Chicken.

You up the bid trying to sound excited that you might get him but secretly hoping you are outbid. This goes on until one side makes their max offer. The goal is to try to get your bidding opponent to pay more than the value of what he is getting.

One small problem....what if he is trying to do the same thing and stops bidding before you do? Now you are stuck.

I think the Rams got stuck.
A team can always back out. So I’m not sure how realistic that is.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I’m not sure why we would do that. That sounds like a horrible idea at first blush. Can you state your rationale for making a deal like that? I’m curious, in a watching a train wreck sort of way.

If you trade for Miller, you have to cut some DE to make room for Miller. You also have to make room for Lawrence in a few weeks. You also have to make room for Gallimore soon. To add These players, you have to get rid of a few. Hence, including them in a trade. Problem is, Armstrong is in his final year. Kamara and Anae have little value. Cowboys are not giving up a 2nd rd pick. Cowboys might give up a 3rd sinc they could get a 3rd round comp pick back if Miller signs with someone else next year. Hence, recuperating the 3rd round pick.

Problem is the Broncos would no way go for that. The Cowboys were not serious about an offer.

Not much of a train wreck. Maybe a toy train wreck under the tree.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
This should make people less mad at the front office?

I'm fine with passing on that price

Lol.

Rams are now a threat. Like an auction. You raise the offers to make others go higher

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
they're not particularly old. they've got a good amount of veterans, but not especially old players. I think they have 3 guys on their roster over 30.

I think they have about 4 players that are over 30. Their best olinemen is 39. Aaron Donald is 30 and Stafford is 34.

They also have a lot of 3rd year and 4th year players that will be in renegotiating their contracts this year and next year. And they won't have the draft capital to replace them when their gone. They also poured a ton of money into their top players. Aaron Donald, Ramsey, Stafford, Kupp, Woods, etc. earn top money.

They are surely in win now mode and will probably see a gradual decline in the next two years if they can't the superbowl.

terra

Reaction score
We are not one player away. That would be the only rational reason. Von Miller is not what he was; and it would only be for the rest of the season. I can see why the Rams are doing it; they have already pretty much done everything else to try and win the SB this season. Might as well go the rest of the way.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I would've made the trade, maybe give them Tank instead of both 2nd/3rd.

Pressure matters.

It’s not about the player though. It’s his age, contract and compensation. We need our draft picks to build our team with our salary cap situation.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
It’s not about the player though. It’s his age, contract and compensation. We need our draft picks to build our team with our salary cap situation.

The Rams have hitched their wagon in a major way to 3 players. Stafford, Ramsey and Donald have to carry them for the next 3 seasons. Not saying it won't work, but it's incredibly risky.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score

LOL

There is more than ONE way to build a team.

Only a fool ignores all their options.

It's a myopic strategy, especially when Cowboys are already in contention for a championship RIGHT NOW.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
LOL

There is more than ONE way to build a team.

Only a fool ignores all their options.

It's a myopic strategy, especially when Cowboys are already in contention for a championship RIGHT NOW.
Yeah but why would you spend a 2nd and 3rd rounder on a mid season acquisition? When has that ever worked? He’s 32 years old. We have a 40 million dollar quarterback how do you expect to put cheap pieces like Parsons and Diggs? That’s far more important than putting a 32 year old rental on the team.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The Rams have hitched their wagon in a major way to 3 players. Stafford, Ramsey and Donald have to carry them for the next 3 seasons. Not saying it won't work, but it's incredibly risky.
Yeah I can’t say it won’t work it’s just not how I’d build a team. And I guess until they win a ring it will be a mistake. If they would’ve never traded up for Goff they may have had a better team by now.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Yeah but why would you spend a 2nd and 3rd rounder on a mid season acquisition? When has that ever worked? He’s 32 years old. We have a 40 million dollar quarterback how do you expect to put cheap pieces like Parsons and Diggs? That’s far more important than putting a 32 year old rental on the team.

Like I said.

Myopic.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I would have loved to have miller. but for a 2nd and 3rd...no, that's way too much.....we need those picks to continue to build and fill holes...

Rams now don't have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

in 2022 they have a 3rd (compensatory), a 5th, and two 7th round picks....and probably lose miller. they have about 5M on the cap space.

so its all 2021 or bust...if they don't win it. their main players will all be 30+ next year. if they couldn't win it this year. losing players. no draft picks. they will have a hard time winning it next year.

its a huge huge gamble on their part.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
We've been drafting pretty well. Under Quinn, our defense has VASTLY improved. Imagine if he gets more talent. Young talent.
A 2nd and a 3rd were too high. And, truth be told, this Dallas team doesn't seem to get tired like previous teams.
I think this will be a plus in the playoffs.

Besides, I expect DLaw to show out when he returns. He, Gregory and Parsons are going to be unstoppable if unleased on the pass rush.
Third and long? I can't wait to see those three on the field getting after the quarterback. And DLaw will have fresh legs down the stretch.

As an aside, I wish we would have played the Broncos sooner - before the trade deadline. Jerry and George Paton could have made a wager - We win, we get Von Miller for a fourth; you win, you get Von Miller for a third. ;)