Twitter: Cowboys tried to trade for Von Miller

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah a 2nd and a 3rd for a 32 year old for 8 games before he becomes a fa seems awfully steep....even though he is still a very good player

Yes. Not unless you could work out a reasonable contract extension before completing the deal.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
So are we to expect to see a move today? Some vets around the league who could be one year rentals.
I'm not getting my hopes up for much, but Marcus Maye & Trey Flowers are two guys that I could see the Cowboys at least having discussions about.

Flamma

Reaction score
When Tank comes back, we're going to need him to play at Randy Gregory level. It would be the difference in beating teams like the Bucs and Cards. Similar to our DE Ware teaming up with Von Miller in Denver got by the Patriots on their way to winning super bowl 50 I believe. Miller ended up winning MVP, but Ware was a big part of that success. You can't double team everyone.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not if a team is in all out "win now" mode and the Rams certainly are.

The Cowboys are still building the defense and giving up that kind of draft capital is poor decision making.

And they’re going to need those draft picks to restock after the free agents losses after this season.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean, it's a very extreme example - but that price could be Trevon Diggs and Osa Odighizuwa....

Or Connor Williams and Michael Gallup, two players from the 2018 draft class who are free agents we can’t afford to keep.

I think that whole class is out the door following this season.

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
I didn't see this as a simple 2nd and 3rd for a 32 year old 6 month rental........as that seems steep. The Broncos are effectively paying his salary so it's seems to be a little like the Brockweiler (or however he spells it) trade a few years' ago to the Browns when they took him and his 18m salary for a 2nd.

I see the Broncos used this "we'll pay his salary" as a way to push up the picks.

It would be really interesting to know what our offer was though!

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I don’t think the Cowboys were offering a 2nd round draft pick. My guess is that the Cowboys may have offered Armstrong and/or Anae, or Kamara and maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick.

I would have at least offered Lawrence for Miller straight up. Cowboys would have had to eat a lot of Lawrence’s contract to make that happen though. I doubt it was possible under the cap this year for either team.

Carson

Reaction score
Or Connor Williams and Michael Gallup, two players from the 2018 draft class who are free agents we can’t afford to keep.

I think that whole class is out the door following this season.
People are overvaluing what these guys will get on the market. Williams should land a decent pay day by some desperate team like the Giants.

But I think Gallup could be back on a one year prove it deal. The WR FA class is loaded with middle tier guys and I just don’t see anybody over spending on a #2 who missed 1/2 of the season.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Yeah a 2nd and a 3rd for a 32 year old for 8 games before he becomes a fa seems awfully steep....even though he is still a very good player

Yep way too much, we're going to need those picks next year with a lot of contributing free agents of our own.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
At least that tells me they are exploring a more to bolster the defense. I think they need to go get a LBer that can help immediately. I'm all in on giving up a 4th rounder for a good LBer.

Aven8

Reaction score
As much as I think Matt Stafford is good QB he is going to break the Rams hearts and they have leveraged so many picks over the years they are about to fall to Detroit levels of ineptitude.

If his boy Kupp goes down, like he does a lot, Stafford and the Rams are finished.