Twitter: Cowboys tried to trade for Von Miller

Aven8

Reaction score
He has mentioned the Cowboys being his favorite team I believe. And a Texas guy too. Miller might be an affordable bridge player between Lawrence’s departure and our next draft pick?

He actually has a home in Cedar Hill and comes back every offseason.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't see this as a simple 2nd and 3rd for a 32 year old 6 month rental........as that seems steep. The Broncos are effectively paying his salary so it's seems to be a little like the Brockweiler (or however he spells it) trade a few years' ago to the Browns when they took him and his 18m salary for a 2nd.

I see the Broncos used this "we'll pay his salary" as a way to push up the picks.

It would be really interesting to know what our offer was though!

I agree. A lot like the Brock Osweiler deal. Essentially buying draft picks.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Go find the best defensive players available that fits your needs and give it a try.

DE - Emmanuel Ogbah - Dolphins
CB - Kyle Fuller - Broncos
OLB/DE - Trey Flowers - Lions
DT - Al Woods - Seahawks
DT - Akiem Hicks - Bears

Reactions: BAT

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
The Rams were a better team than the Cowboys before that trade. Trading for Miller for the Cowboys does not even that up.

While I do think the Cowboys are contenders, I still do not think this is their year and they are not one vet LB away from that.
This board would be bent over backwards if Dallas was in that shape. hell, they don't have a first round pick until 2024.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He actually has a home in Cedar Hill and comes back every offseason.

That’s interesting information. Thanks for sharing it.

:thumbup:

What would you think of a pairing of Miller (at a reasonable cost) and Gregory? I think it’s very likely that this is Lawrence’s last season in Dallas.

I think it would buy the team some time to draft and develop a young replacement.

Reactions: BAT

JustChip

Reaction score
Not if the Rams eliminate them and go on to win a Super Bowl. Nobody will give a bleep about those draft picks.
They will come April regardless. A worse scenario is making the deal, not getting to a SB or NFCCG, AND not having your 2nd & 3rd round picks.

I’m not saying there won’t be angst & wailing if the Cowboys fall short in January. There will be either way. But having the draft picks will be the salve to that when April arrives.

KeepinTime

Reaction score
I would have liked to have von but not at that price. He’s hurt pretty often now. Maybe it will be different in la. He won’t have to play as much as he did in Denver. Can spell him often.
Warmer weather probably easier on the body too.

JustChip

Reaction score
He probably wants to play here.
He may get his chance since he’s a FA. But that whole player wants to play somewhere specific is secondary to money when push comes to shove. Always!

Carson

Reaction score
Go find the best defensive players available that fits your needs and give it a try.

DE - Emmanuel Ogbah - Dolphins
CB - Kyle Fuller - Broncos
OLB/DE - Trey Flowers - Lions
DT - Al Woods - Seahawks
DT - Akiem Hicks - Bears
Hicks has publicly stated he doesn’t want to leave Chicago

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
Dang, the Rams are all in this year.

They are certainly mortgaging their future trying to win now.

And, quite honestly, that more often than not does not work out. Look at the Dodgers this year -- getting Scherzer and Trea Turner -- and yet they're not in the W.S. Granted, baseball is different, unlike football it's not 'one-and-done'.

But I still say it comes down to the QB. Honestly, until proven otherwise, I would have to think TB (Brady) and GB (Rodgers) are the favorites in the NFC. I think we can beat both -- now just need to 'see' it.

Sorry, I just cannot worry about the Rams with Stafford as their QB. If we keep winning, we just might lock up HFA. Cowboys have an easier schedule compared to the Bucs, Packers, and Rams/Cardinals. I say Rams/Cardinals because only 1 of them can be a division winner.

JustChip

Reaction score
The Rams were a better team than the Cowboys before that trade. Trading for Miller for the Cowboys does not even that up.

While I do think the Cowboys are contenders, I still do not think this is their year and they are not one vet LB away from that.
Agree on the first part. But LA has more of a challenge winning their division. They may not and have to be a wild card. I’m not sure Miller tips the scale greatly in that.

Regarding the second point, I see this season more like 2016 and the Eagles in 2017. Teams on getting on a roll and riding it. Granted, the Cowboys fell short in 2016, but that was a rookie Dak. And this defense is better than the 2016 defense.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Love to see it but money will be an issue. I know he'd love to play here........

Yes, the money would definitely have to be right. And that means not a whole lot. I think Miller is 32, and he needs to realize where he’s at in his career with regard to salary expectations.

Proof

Reaction score
I didn't see this as a simple 2nd and 3rd for a 32 year old 6 month rental........as that seems steep. The Broncos are effectively paying his salary so it's seems to be a little like the Brockweiler (or however he spells it) trade a few years' ago to the Browns when they took him and his 18m salary for a 2nd.

I see the Broncos used this "we'll pay his salary" as a way to push up the picks.

It would be really interesting to know what our offer was though!

whether the Rams have to pay his salary or not it's still a 6 month rental. guess we'll see if they manage to re-sign him as well. wild times

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
Agree on the first part. But LA has more of a challenge winning their division. They may not and have to be a wild card. I’m not sure Miller tips the scale greatly in that.

Regarding the second point, I see this season more like 2016 and the Eagles in 2017. Teams on getting on a roll and riding it. Granted, the Cowboys fell short in 2016, but that was a rookie Dak. And this defense is better than the 2016 defense.

Not to mention -- there isn't a defense in this league today that can stop this Dallas offense if all integral components are healthy (big if). So getting Von Miler may help the Rams get by the Cardinals in their division, but I still don't see that as a problem for Dak and our explosive offense (assuming our OL can give him time).

The bigger deal for me is Micah Parsons. Who else among the NFC contenders has a defensive player like Parsons, like a young L.T., who can just take over a game defensively?

Proof

Reaction score
I agree. A lot like the Brock Osweiler deal. Essentially buying draft picks.

i don't really find it similar. texans paid to get rid of osweiler by sending him and picks to the browns. broncos traded a player w/ some value. i guess "technically" them agreeing to cover his tab increases the return, but still doesn't seem the same at all to me