Twitter: Cowboys Tweets - 12/23

Jstopper

Reaction score
Please 'jterrell' --take a little bit of time from your holiday weekend celebrations to list the "15+ teams" that Prescott would be the answer for their starting QB.
No rush; expect your response by Monday.

i can easily come up with that list. Vikings, Bears, Lions, Commanders, Giants, Saints, Bucs (Brady retiring), Panthers, Falcons, 49ers, Steelers(Ben retiring), Jets, Patriots, Raiders, Broncos, Colts, Jags.

Dak is a top 10 qb and would be the hottest commodity on the market by far

mardwin

Reaction score
ROFL. Have you been drinking?

If Dallas tags Dak he makes 37.7M and hit unrestricted free agency next year.
If Dallas doesn't he is an URFA and will make 40M per year easily.
It's truly impossible to know just how much he will make in that scenario because it'd be insanity to ever let him hit free agency.

Teams simply don't do it.
There are 15+ teams that need an answer at QB. Dak is an answer. He's a bonafied top 10 QB not even at his peak age yet.
If Pat Mahomes was an URFA he might make 50-55M per year. But sensibly, KC made him their chosen king extending him TWO years early at 40M AAV.
What is clear is Dak would EASILY get Watson money. 37-38M a year AAV is now the going rate for franchise QBs. Arguing otherwise is arguing the sky is red instead of blue.
It's too goofy to debate.

Nobody is paying Dak $40M except Dallas. Look at the Vikings after overpaying Cousins, he hasn't played as the QB they thought they were getting. Because he was never played as elite material just like Dak.

mardwin

Reaction score
i can easily come up with that list. Vikings, Bears, Lions, Commanders, Giants, Saints, Bucs (Brady retiring), Panthers, Falcons, 49ers, Steelers(Ben retiring), Jets, Patriots, Raiders, Broncos, Colts, Jags.

Dak is a top 10 qb and would be the hottest commodity on the market by far

QBs are always in demand but that doesn't mean he's going to get top dollars. Cam Newton was a former MVP, 31 years old and didn't get the bank thrown at him. Dak will be 28 when the season starts and doubt he that much ahead of Cam.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
QBs are always in demand but that doesn't mean he's going to get top dollars. Cam Newton was a former MVP, 31 years old and didn't get the bank thrown at him. Dak will be 28 when the season starts and doubt he that much ahead of Cam.
You were doing ok by comparing Dak to Cousins but you killed yourself comparing Dak to Cam. Cam cannot throw the football.

mardwin

Reaction score
You were doing ok by comparing Dak to Cousins but you killed yourself comparing Dak to Cam. Cam cannot throw the football.

But their career numbers look very similar, and Cam had a lesser set of receivers.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Nobody is paying Dak $40M except Dallas. Look at the Vikings after overpaying Cousins, he hasn't played as the QB they thought they were getting. Because he was never played as elite material just like Dak.
Try reading instead of typing/talking. There are plenty of teams who badly need a QB and will gladly pay Dak.
Dak hasn't been mediocre. He's been top 10.
Asked to manage a game behind a solid defense and run game he did that.
Asked to be part of a power run game he did that.
Asked to open it up sling it and he did that to the tune of leading the league in passing.
The spotrac evaluation which is league-wide
Market Value
  • 4 yrs, $148,253,724
  • Avg. Salary: $37,063,431
  • NFL Rank: 3
  • QB Rank: 3
But you get on an open market and teams have to beat each other. Highest bid wins and it will be 40M+.

28 is just beginning a QB's prime. Dak was having his best statistical season this year. He's a top 3 deep ball passer and he brings a power run game element.

Cam Newton? Man, what?? Cam was benched and playing poorly for 3-4 years in a row. The reason he made so little is he turned down a lot of offers as a back up and no one graded him a surefire starter. So he took peanuts to go where he was fairly certain he'd start.

There will 100% be teams that prefer Dak to Trevor Lawrence because they want to win today and value NFL experience. .
Many more teams will value Dak more than Fields or Wilson. And once those 2-3 guys are gone off the draft board which will be very early, team's have few reasonable options.
Jax, Chicago, NE, TB, NO, Pitt, Den, Jets, WAS
possibly Giants, Minny, SF, DET

There are more seats than QBs. Few options to get one. Having to pay nothing but cap space would be a godsend for many of those teams above. Especially when the big cap hits won't come for 2-3 seasons.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
But their career numbers look very similar, and Cam had a lesser set of receivers.
LOL what career numbers look similar?

Cam Newton hasn't rated in the top 20 QBs since 2015. Dak wasn't even in the league then.
Cam PFF Ratings
2016 23rd
2017 24th
2018 23rd
2019 not rated benched and injury season
2020 24th

Dak
2016 7th
2017 19th
2018 20th
2019 10th
2020 8th

And the weapons excuse is hollow because Dak had the worst WR corps combined with the slowest TE in the league for a good stretch of his career.

Kirk Cousins has similar numbers to Dak if you totally ignore all the sacks Dak shrugs off and all the rushing yards he provides. But yes Cousins is a legit NFL starting QB still. Cam is not.

Jstopper

Reaction score

Stop it. Cam was coming off 4 straight under .500 seasons and had his season ended by injury in 2 straight years before he was signed. Their situations couldn’t be more different.

mmohican29

Reaction score
One of these things is not like the other. Which one is it, do you know?

Pointing out that the one thing not like the other has beaten 2 of the other things like each other except the one that isn't: because they are the one thing referred to.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Hurts is going to run into trouble once theres more film on him.

I'm indifferent on Moore, but it may be for the best.

I think it would help the team overall if he is no longer here. He is a Garrett holdover and its obvious he is a Jerry favorite.

It undermines MM to a degree.

Maybe I'm just grasping at straws for anything that may help around here.
1. Any QB who looks good in the early portion of their career will face tougher defensive responses once DCs get time to study what their tendencies and strengths are. It’s why when fans got excited about Garrett Gilbert’s good game against Pitt earlier this year, they automatically assume he would be able to reproduce that almost every game. Highly doubtful.

2. Re: Kellen Moore. It will be very interesting to see what JJs response will be if Boise’s interest is serious. If Jerry tries to throw a ton of money at KM to keep him around, it may be a bad sign for Big Mac’s long term leash. If JJ sees KM as his next “Garrett” (which is absurd) then I expect JJ to try everything to keep him here. If I was Kellen Moore and had the chance to go to Boise, I would jump at it.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Pointing out that the one thing not like the other has beaten 2 of the other things like each other except the one that isn't: because they are the one thing referred to.

I'm not sure what just happened here.

fivetwos

Reaction score
1. Any QB who looks good in the early portion of their career will face tougher defensive responses once DCs get time to study what their tendencies and strengths are. It’s why when fans got excited about Garrett Gilbert’s good game against Pitt earlier this year, they automatically assume he would be able to reproduce that almost every game. Highly doubtful.

2. Re: Kellen Moore. It will be very interesting to see what JJs response will be if Boise’s interest is serious. If Jerry tries to throw a ton of money at KM to keep him around, it may be a bad sign for Big Mac’s long term leash. If JJ sees KM as his next “Garrett” (which is absurd) then I expect JJ to try everything to keep him here. If I was Kellen Moore and had the chance to go to Boise, I would jump at it.
Fully agree on Gilbert. Plus it was a Pitt not showing up game (see Rams last week)...

Good point on the other. If Jerry ponies up serious money to keep Moore around, it's just another example of the biggest problem with the way this franchise is run.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Atlanta will def lose lol.

I don’t see Cincy winning back to back games as that Steelers game was their super bowl, way too amped for them to give a rats behind against the Texans.

How are you chalking up Carolina as a loss lol? Dwayne Haskins, Taylor Heinicke, and Steven Montez are the guys who will get a shot at the opportunity. That game is 60/40 Carolina and you could argue more if it’s one of those practice squad guys playing.

Philly could easily beat us. We have a shot too don’t get me wrong but that D-Line and the fact that we have never ever contained a running QB makes me lean their way. Closer to 50/50 though.
Alex Smith has not be ruled out yet. We will figure out our fate at halftime of the Philly v. Dallas game. Once Washington wins, the tank will commence.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Been awhile... Go Cowboys!!!

kPi9nH1.gif

No Dak
No Woods
No Martin
No Problem
This team will continue to win games, like it or not.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Might as well shut him down for the year.
I truly believe that management has been trying to throw in the towel for a few weeks now,, but players are waking up and saying Im playing.
Pollard - showing what most have been saying about him, finally proves that he can play and actually improve in 4qtrs,, not enough being said about just a handful of backs that do that in this league,,, he did it, and needs to continue doing it, and we got a special back moving forward.
Dalton,, love or hate, such a bi polar fan base, and yes I include myself in that classification. I see him coming off his early reads now, and looking for that deeper hook up,, Lamb is a Rook, going through a 4 QB transition, chemistry is an over used term but it shouldnt be underestimated.
Dalton can and will improve as the relationship with Lamb improves, trust being built right now, doesnt happen over night, Dalton getting the green flag now to play some chunk and dunk on the outside, watch Lamb starting looking like that very young Randy Moss... lol,,, slam away friends..
Dalton has made his share of mistakes, but this team is winning 2 str8, and Im willing to bet that Dalton can end up outlasting say a Stafford level, probably a better comparison out there, but I feel that Stafford is at least a fair baseline in comparison.
Im just going to end this rant with my homerun hit of the week,, Im at this point, just hanging it all out there at this point...
Blake Bell will be the next great TE in this league!
Here, Im passing it your way.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
If this was in anyway true, Dallas would have already forked the money and gave him the contract. Dak either gets tagged and plays or gets tagged and holdS out in that case dalton is the starter next season. He isn’t getting Watson money. Not by any team or teams. He will be on the market a lot longer then he expects hums that’s his mentality, same way he hasn’t got that contract him and his agent so desperately wanted.

If Cousins can do it, so can Dak. Dallas was just dumb not to have paid him earlier. Now they don't have much of a leverage.