Signed by Cowboys Cowboys UDFA signed thread

cowboysfan

Reaction score
What's the scoop on the latest signings ?

Derrick Puni OL Central Missouri
Andrew Dowell LB Michigan State

Cowboys22

Reaction score

What’s so funny. The guys has 30 years experience, every contact in the world you would want, has been on many nfl committees, knows how to negotiate contracts, and has navigated the team out of cap hell after being given more authority. If Jerry sold the team tomorrow and Stephen wanted to still be a gm in the league, he would have no problem getting a job with his qualifications. I don’t particularly like the Jones’ or think they are great at running the team but guys with Stephen’s experience can’t be found very easily.

Hardline

Reaction score
What’s so funny. The guys has 30 years experience, every contact in the world you would want, has been on many nfl committees, knows how to negotiate contracts, and has navigated the team out of cap hell after being given more authority. If Jerry sold the team tomorrow and Stephen wanted to still be a gm in the league, he would have no problem getting a job with his qualifications. I don’t particularly like the Jones’ or think they are great at running the team but guys with Stephen’s experience can’t be found very easily.
If he or his dad was on the open market they wouldn't get a single job offer

Daillest88

Reaction score
Just read that....kid is 6'4...runs a 4.36 40yd :omg: Interesting...Gotta say that Kentucky secondary was loaded

westrytwitter_1442246920274.jpg
Like this pickup

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
Exactly
Cowboy fans never cease to amaze me
No team in their right mind is hiring this idiot to be their GM

But they're owners who are defacto GMs -- which I'm okay with as long as they are good with the administrative aspect (which I think they are), and have a good set of scouts (Will McClay and co.) that have more than just a say in the personnel dept.

Look, compared to the past 20 years of Cowboys teams, this is a pretty good roster overall, no? Who deserves the credit for that?

cowboysooner

Reaction score
The front office runs like lots of front offices run. (Cardinals, Browns, Steelers, Skins, Ravens, Dolphins, old broncos, Giants.). Most anywhere there is an involved owner.

Being a gm is part scouting, scheme, and resource allocation. The real gm is a combination of Steven and McClay. And honestly Garrett is pretty good at this part of the job. Those 3 are good at drafting and roster construction. I think Jason would be one of the better GMs in the league. His only bad quality is lack of offensive scheme.

Jerry is Tex Schram. Front man, marketer, shadow commissioner for a certain sect of owners.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Gopher kicker Carpenter reportedly accepted an invite to Bears camp.

Guessing we're not actually signing a kicker... probably doing just that kind of thing, inviting kickers to camp.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What is the difference between signing bonus and guaranteed?

I know Dallas gave a big guarantee to Leary in the past. Have they done this every year? I see some big numbers from other teams. Is this a new trend with UDFA players? Are these numbers more than 7th round picks get?

If the cowboys had draftable grades on most of these guys, I am glad they are offering good incentives to bring them to camp. It would seem it would be a no brainer to use a couple hundred grand with the hope you find 1-2 guys who make your team
Signing bonuses are limited by the rookie cap.

Guaranteed salary is not limited.

The player gets the signing bonus the day the contract is signed. The salary is paid during the season or when the player is cut (the guaranteed amount).

It's good to give players 5K immediately to allow them money to move to Dallas.

I wonder if they put stipulations on the guaranteed salary such as the player must join the practice squad if offered.

The guarantee will go to the new team if the player is signed off waivers.

Xavier187

Reaction score
Alot of reports on Mitch Hyatt. Says he is with the Falcons and the Cowboys