Game Day Cowboys vs Chargers Game Thread

mmohican29

Reaction score
I understand there are depth concerns, but man o man... lots of chicken littles in the house tonight.

Folks: Church, OScan, Claiborne, Carr, Melton, Selvie: DNP. That's over HALF of your starting defense NOT playing in a MEANINGLESS game where there was ZERO gameplanning for.

The offensive line dominated in the running game led by a 2/3rd string tailback vs pretty-much the Chargers 1st String D. Weeden looked like a solid back-up, and there were some drops by players who don't drop a lot of football (Harris). Street looks like a pro- actually the WR core as a whole looked about as good as it gets for not having a Dez Bryant on the field- Newsome with a nice grab, Boyd was close on a few big ones, Byrd caught a ball or two I think)

Heath had a huge hit, Hitchens had issues but bounced back with some nice plays, really liked Ahmad Dixon's play. The two street guys they just brought in as cannon fodder looked like cannon fodder but its whatever. Mitchell I thought was horrible but he'll improve.

I'm a little concerned but hardly suicidal. It wasn't all terrible.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
We do not need to reach for scum to put a team together. The alternative is to run the team like a professional organization.

Unfortunately, Jerry has made up his mind and offered a roster spot to Brent. Brent has already made up his time and was punished. Do we have to keep beating a dead horse?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Jerry has made up his mind and offered a roster spot to Brent. Brent has already made up his time and was punished. Do we have to keep beating a dead horse?

He was talking about the 90 man roster for training camp.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
If we cut Williams, does Randle return to last years form? I would love to keep 4 backs.

Unless he gets injured what you see is what you get. I liked his patience last year but I didn't see the speed or burst nor a lot of missem'. He looks like a serviceable back now.

ethiostar

Reaction score
My replys were to comments referencing how both backs looked today. From what I've seen today, Randall has looked better to my eyes tonight.

Overall, I like what I've seen what little i've seen from Williams based. He needs to stay healthy, obviously. I like both backs in a backup role. But, what i've read on training camp was that Randall has looked really good as of late in camp and he is a better blocker.

Holy crap, that is one poorly written post........lol. I was rushing to go check on one the kids who woke up because of a nightmare.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I guess I'm the only one who didn't think Randle looked that different. A touch quicker, maybe. But I thought he was basically what he was last year: a guy with really good vision who doesn't have enough speed to break away from anyone and make a big gain once he makes his cut.

I thought the bigger difference was that last night, he actually had some holes. Last year too often he got swarmed in the backfield.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I guess I'm the only one who didn't think Randle looked that different. A touch quicker, maybe. But I thought he was basically what he was last year: a guy with really good vision who doesn't have enough speed to break away from anyone and make a big gain once he makes his cut.

I thought the bigger difference was that last night, he actually had some holes. Last year too often he got swarmed in the backfield.

I didn't think he was vastly different in skill set but he played much faster and had more missem'. That just made him look like a different player but I get your point. I think he can play in this league. He also catches the ball well and can block. I think he can come in and rotate with Dunbar if Murray goes down.

mmohican29

Reaction score
that was 33

I'm kinda with CL on this one. Randle is a serviceable back, but he still goes down on first contact too often and seems to outrun his own balance. I do however think he makes the team. Did a good job in blitz pick up, where Williams did not.

The positive to take from this is that anyone might be able to run behind our O-Line, and a DeMarco Murray might be able to put up huge numbers this season.

ragman

Reaction score
Random thoughts:

1. Weeden looked good. Better than I thought he would.

2. Joseph Randle looks like a bona fide backup for DeMarco Murray.

3. IMO, the defense was horrible. It's the same defense I've seen since 2011.