Cowboys vs Eagles ***Official Game Thread***

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
DeWare94 said:
i think mcmahon is second string otherwise the eagles probly wouldv'e put in detmer instead

He is 3rd on the roster (EQB). They even said it in the game. The only reason he was in is because he has a stronger arm and can run.

sillycon

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan said:
I hate it when people claim a good play was "luck". Luck or not, he made the play and that is all that matters.

C'mon, he was OBLIVIOUS to where the ball or Jones was... He WAS lucky he was close enough to get his hand on the ball...

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
DeWare94 said:
i think mcmahon is second string otherwise the eagles probly wouldv'e put in detmer instead

McMahon is the emergency QB they used him because he has a stronger arm (according to John Madden) which means that the 2 other Qb's (McNabb and Detmer) can no longer enter the game at least that is the way I understand the rule

vicjagger

Reaction score
I didn't think you couldn't play the 3rd QB unless QBs 1 & 2 were both out of the game......

sillycon

Reaction score
jcblanco22 said:
Not to mention, wasn't that also him on the last pass attempt by McMahon before the FG try? That was a very nice break-up also, and extremely crucial as well, as they would've been down to about the 30 yd. line with that completion (assuming the receiver gets out of bounds).

It wasn't that tough a play. It was underthrown and right at him. I could argue that had he went to meet the ball, he could've had the INT. Still, I give him credit for actually having a clue where the WR and the ball was on that particular play. However, on that play on that ball bobbled by Jones, Reeves WAS lucky to have been close enough to get his hand on the ball... He had NO clue where the ball or Jones was...

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
I thought he dropped it.

BTW, if he would have caught the ball there was a good chance the clock would have run out.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
...A team has to declare eight game-day inactives each week (assuming it has a full 53-man roster; you simply have to deactivate enough players to get down to 45 on game day), of which one can be a designated third quarterback. You don’t have to make one of your eight inactives the third quarterback, but most teams do most weeks.

Here’s the thing: That designated third quarterback can’t enter the game in any way before the fourth quarter without making the other two quarterbacks ineligible. You can’t say that he’s a receiver and put him in the game and still maintain him as one of your eight inactive players.

Was McMahon one of the "inactives"? Where do we get to a gameday roster?

Q_the_man

Reaction score
Kevin Burnett came in the 4th, 2 big tackles, close pick, and almost got sack on shovel pass...

BP needs to let my cousin play more now, Fujita is a Back-up and so is Shanle, time to unleash the final piece of the puzzle on D.......yeah babyyyyyyyy

MiStar

Reaction score
Keyshawn was doing more blocking than the offensive line was today. Key, Witten, Campbell, and Barber all did a great job of blocking today. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean much when your line isn't blocking well for the run or the pass.

flashback

Real Man of Genius
Reaction score
I agree. Fujita was way to passive on that side. I think Burnett might be a real boost during the second half of the season, and especially the next two games.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
I hope. he's big, fast, strong and from Compton, and has the family bloodline in him....somebody has to represent

HardHittin'Witten

This ain't Madden
Reaction score
i remember when Key was with TB and got completely earholed against Detroit. It was one of the hardest hits I think I still have ever seen. He was down for just a few seconds and got up, put his helmet back on and got back in the huddle.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Zaxor said:
The refs really messed up...

when they put mcmahon (the emergency qb) in it made both of the qb's ineligible to return to the game but there was detmer holding for the FG at the end of the game

Here is what I found on this:

The emergency (third) quarterback may now enter the game in just the fourth quarter, regardless if the other two quarterbacks are able to play. This means that if the third string quarterback enters the game, the first and/or second quarterback may re-enter, unlike the past two seasons where the emergency quarterback would only play off the first two were unable to resume play.

It was a rule change made in 1995.

Since McMahon came in during the 4th quarter there was no rule violation.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
...on the game wrap up at NFL.com. McMahon was on the active list along with Detmer. What they did was legal in terms of the substitutions.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
THUMPER said:
Here is what I found on this:

It was a rule change made in 1995.

Since McMahon came in during the 4th quarter there was no rule violation.

Thanks Thumper

did not know of the rule change...

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
davidyee said:
...on the game wrap up at NFL.com. McMahon was on the active list along with Detmer. What they did was legal in terms of the substitutions.

Thanks for the info

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Cas2800 said:
Not to mentioned that on the long run by Barber it was none other that Keyshawn running his *** off down field to make a block for Barber that gave him another 7 yards.

Yes it was, and Price drove his guy back allowing Barber to get even more and then get out of bounds. I love how well our WR block

dc10

Reaction score
It looked to me like the receiver dropped the ball when reeves swung his right arm around at the ball/right-arm of the receiver. I don't think he was beat, but he did allow the receiver to come back for the underthrown ball and have a clear chance for the BIG reception. Tough playing D in that situation with clear reminders of "no pass interference!"

I saw 19 seconds left when he went down, and was sickened to realize they had plenty time to come down and spike it and then kick the heartbreaker FG. So having it incomplete was a big sigh of relief.