Game Day Cowboys vs Giants post game thread

popp1234

Reaction score
Geez dude, I was just stating a fact. I'm sure I can go back and critique and dissect every word you've posted but I have better thing to do with my time. It was one game and there are lots of positives (with a few correctable negatives) that we learned. Chill the f out and post when you're not so hot headed.

Actually, I was very calm when I replied to your post. That should tell you something. Imagine if I was actually in That-Was-a-Catch mental state after the Green Bay playoff loss in 2014. Who knows what evil deeds I would commit (evil laugh).

Plankton

Reaction score
Inability to finish. That's the theme of the game.

The game was there for them to win. The Giants were not good in this game. Their offense was very spotty. But, they finished their drives when they had to. The Cowboys, despite winning the time of possession battle handily, did not. And, that's why they lost.

Dak Prescott had an average performance. For a rookie starting his first game, that's actually pretty good. In the first half, he worked between the numbers, in the 5-10 yard range, and was effective. At halftime, the Giants adjusted and tightened up on those areas while still sending 8 in the box to stop the run. Prescott didn't adjust, and didn't threaten them down the field whatsoever. The coaching staff needs to work with him on this, because it will only be harder on him going forward now that there is a book out on him.

Other notes:
  • Ezekiel Elliott looked like a guy who missed a lot of time in camp. He was impatient running the ball, and wasn't quick enough.
  • The wide receivers looked like a sorry lot today. Too many drops, bonehead decisions late, and not enough separation. They needed to make Prescott's life easier, and they didn't.
  • Will need to further review the All-22, but I don't think that it will show La'el Collins, Travis Frederick or Zack Martin having great games. Damon Harrison and Johnathan Hankins absolutely dominated against the inside run.
  • Pass protection was excellent throughout, though Doug Free had a few poor moments.
  • The defense looked like it lacks talent at all three levels. Secondary lacks speed, linebackers were largely ineffective, and the defensive line looked more adroit at slow dancing than they did getting off of blocks. Benson Mayowa, Terrell McClain and Cedric Thornton had some decent moments, but they and the rest of the line had far too many moments when they were locked up on the pass rush, or running upfield too fast and losing gap integrity against the run. Against one of the lesser offensive lines that they will face, this was not good.
  • Dan Bailey is money.
  • Terrance Williams is a stone cold moron. Did it cost them the game? No. Did it prevent them from having a chance? Yes.
Bottom line is, they let one get away today, and as a division game, it hurts a bit more. Prescott showed good poise, but needs to work on his accuracy and his reads down the field. I think we all saw today the difference between preseason intensity and regular season intensity. It will be interesting to see how both he and the team bounce back next week.

crashintonickdm

Reaction score
We lost week 1 in 2014 too

Dak was impressive for it being his first start in the pros. Loss stings but there's a bright future

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

Yea, I still have no idea what Twill was thinking on that play. That has to go down as one of the dumbest plays of all time, even kids in pee wee football know to go out of bounds on a play like that.

I know it would have been a 60+ yard fg and the odds on making those are like 10%, but I still would have liked to give Bailey a shot at it.

Oh well, nothing to do about it now so on to next week.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Much improved Defense base on what? They haven't played one real game together. They were also starting a backup safety and a rookie CB. And it was a rookie HC.
And it wasn't like they were a great team last year. Even Vegas had it as a pickem game.

Their DL is better and the DBs are definitely not the worse in the NFL as they were last year. The Giants have a better OL as well. They are a better team; at least this one game.

Zman5

Reaction score
Their DL is better and the DBs are definitely not the worse in the NFL as they were last year. The Giants have a better OL as well. They are a better team; at least this one game.

Before the game, general consensus was that it was an even match. As I mentioned before, Vegas had it as a pickem game. Gints improved their defense and we improved our run game. Their OL was bad and our DL line was bad. Etc.. etc.. That's what most fans, media, experts were all saying.

As it turned out, it was an even match as score indicates. That's why I'm surprised by your post implying we were a big underdogs and it was a miracle we were even in the game.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Before the game, general consensus was that it was an even match. As I mentioned before, Vegas had it as a pickem game. Gints improved their defense and we improved our run game. Their OL was bad and our DL line was bad. Etc.. etc.. That's what most fans, media, experts were all saying.

As it turned out, it was an even match as score indicates. That's why I'm surprised by your post implying we were a big underdogs and it was a miracle we were even in the game.

Vegas opened at -3 which is a 6 pt underdog. Money swings the pts after opening. I'm not interested in that though. We have a terrible record without Romo. Throw in a rookie QB and you have an uphill battle. The fact you are arguing other points in the face of those two facts is telling.

You aren't supposed to be running into a 8-9 man line esp one run blitzing as well. They did an excellent job taking the run away and making Dak win the game. It was a no brainer but still give them credit for understanding what they needed to do, doing it, and doing it well. They take away the run then you back them out of it by making them pay for loading up the LOS like that. It's telling you don't either understand this simple concept or deliberately ignore it.

It was a boring but well played game we almost pulled out despite no pressure from the DL by itself, a porous middle at times, and a suspect cover game.

CCBoy

Reaction score
lol. He has his head so far up ole Jerry boys backside he could çatch Jason by the ankles.;)

I see...sorry. I was raised in a simple Methodist home coming up, and learned this code, while a Cadet at the Air Force Academy: I will not lie, steal, or cheat...nor tolerate those who do.

While a player on the Falcons team, my first question asked while attending a Christian Athletes event, was do any of you need to fall back and rely upon that perspective?

Sydla

Reaction score
I want to see more of Brice Butler in this offense. Anyone else feeling that way?

I'd like to see them use Butler to allow Dez to move inside to slot in certain situations.

Some teams move their #1 WR around to get them matchups, etc. Atlanta will sometimes use Jones in the slot.

Our coaches aren't that creative. When Dez breaks the huddle, you know he's going wide.

Sydla

Reaction score
Sure they do. Romo, Witten, Smith, Martin and Fred played well.

Dez got taken out for a few reasons. They took the middle of the field the Giants gave them and didn't force the ball to him. The TD he dropped wasn't easy but ihe should make some of those plays; he didn't. That's on him. He's the X and apparently we don't have another X except Butler who needs another year or two of seasoning to play it well. You CANNOT interchange the X and Z like some of you seem to think; and certainly not the S Putting Dez in motion means moving him presnap off the LOS and someone else on it. Those routes are the S as well as the RBs and Y at times. Today they covered the outside and deep. That takes away the X but leaves the S and Y open. Beasley needs to make the most of his looks. There is a reason Beasley looks like a S and Dez a X.

The very fact we almost (and probably should've pulled it out) won is remarkable. No mistakes by Dak although they reined him in obviously. Won the TO battle. DID adjust in the second half with blitzing and put some pressure on as well as forced Eli to get rid of the ball. Linehan DID throw more in the 2nd. Pass protection was good except a few plays by Collins and Free. Ran the ball pretty well looking at 8-9 man fronts.

No offense, but this is classic coaching staff excuse making. A good coaching staff can make these types of adjustments that can create some mismatches for Bryant. Other coaching staffs around this league seem to be able to do it with their top WRs, and yet apparently in Dallas, you can't. It's not nearly as hard as you claim to put in some plays that gets Bryant into the slot or in motion.

Atlanta moves Julio Jones around despite the fact that Jones also is an outside WR and not a slot guy. If a team takes away the outside and deep, Atlanta has put Jones in motion, stuck him in the slot, etc to get him into the softer part of the field to try to take advantage of the matchups.

Sydla

Reaction score
Inability to finish. That's the theme of the game.

The game was there for them to win. The Giants were not good in this game. Their offense was very spotty. But, they finished their drives when they had to. The Cowboys, despite winning the time of possession battle handily, did not. And, that's why they lost.

Dak Prescott had an average performance. For a rookie starting his first game, that's actually pretty good. In the first half, he worked between the numbers, in the 5-10 yard range, and was effective. At halftime, the Giants adjusted and tightened up on those areas while still sending 8 in the box to stop the run. Prescott didn't adjust, and didn't threaten them down the field whatsoever. The coaching staff needs to work with him on this, because it will only be harder on him going forward now that there is a book out on him.

Other notes:
  • Ezekiel Elliott looked like a guy who missed a lot of time in camp. He was impatient running the ball, and wasn't quick enough.
  • The wide receivers looked like a sorry lot today. Too many drops, bonehead decisions late, and not enough separation. They needed to make Prescott's life easier, and they didn't.
  • Will need to further review the All-22, but I don't think that it will show La'el Collins, Travis Frederick or Zack Martin having great games. Damon Harrison and Johnathan Hankins absolutely dominated against the inside run.
  • Pass protection was excellent throughout, though Doug Free had a few poor moments.
  • The defense looked like it lacks talent at all three levels. Secondary lacks speed, linebackers were largely ineffective, and the defensive line looked more adroit at slow dancing than they did getting off of blocks. Benson Mayowa, Terrell McClain and Cedric Thornton had some decent moments, but they and the rest of the line had far too many moments when they were locked up on the pass rush, or running upfield too fast and losing gap integrity against the run. Against one of the lesser offensive lines that they will face, this was not good.
  • Dan Bailey is money.
  • Terrance Williams is a stone cold moron. Did it cost them the game? No. Did it prevent them from having a chance? Yes.
Bottom line is, they let one get away today, and as a division game, it hurts a bit more. Prescott showed good poise, but needs to work on his accuracy and his reads down the field. I think we all saw today the difference between preseason intensity and regular season intensity. It will be interesting to see how both he and the team bounce back next week.

FWIW, Martin graded out well by PFF (hahaha, I know, PFF).

Plankton

Reaction score
FWIW, Martin graded out well by PFF (hahaha, I know, PFF).

I haven't watched the All-22, but it didn't look good with the game feed. Hankins and Harrison didn't get moved off the ball at all. His false start on the last drive wasn't helpful either.

Zman5

Reaction score
Vegas opened at -3 which is a 6 pt underdog. Money swings the pts after opening. I'm not interested in that though. We have a terrible record without Romo. Throw in a rookie QB and you have an uphill battle. The fact you are arguing other points in the face of those two facts is telling.

You aren't supposed to be running into a 8-9 man line esp one run blitzing as well. They did an excellent job taking the run away and making Dak win the game. It was a no brainer but still give them credit for understanding what they needed to do, doing it, and doing it well. They take away the run then you back them out of it by making them pay for loading up the LOS like that. It's telling you don't either understand this simple concept or deliberately ignore it.

It was a boring but well played game we almost pulled out despite no pressure from the DL by itself, a porous middle at times, and a suspect cover game.

I don't know what you are talking about but -3 means even game. Home team gets 3 points. Everybody picking this game was pretty even across. It wasn't like when we played Seattle in 2014 where everyone thought we had no chance. Most people thought both teams had weaknesses and strength and was a pretty even match up. So to see someone thinking it was remarkable we were in this game is bit surprising.