Game Day ***Cowboys vs Jaguars post game thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghst187

Reaction score
I believe Mazi was drafted to be a space eater at times he was effective other times got blown back. With him and Hankins in there together it should help keep the backers free to make plays.
Hope so but as was my concern with him coming out, he’s slow off the snap and I didn’t see him demanding double teams or eating the pocket. He has incredible size and strength but waiting to see it become a factor. Patience I hope….

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Disagreed.

If Turpin doesn’t fumble and Dowdle doesn’t fumble, we handled their 1s with our 2s.

Granted, the Lawrence pick wont happen 99% of the time as it was miscommunication. But a massive boost for a trending up player like Thomas.
I think you and the poster you quoted are saying the same thing. I believe he was being sarcastic in saying that if we run a defense that doesn't blitz and is completely vanilla they wont stop anybody. Well, guess what? We aren't limited in that fashion.

Truth is, the Jax starters played the first 3 series against our #2's. The only starter on D that I saw in the game was O'Diggy. Clark played at LB, so he could be counted. The rest were backups. We got an interception, a three and out, and then gave up the TD when Turpin fumbled the ball giving them a short field.
We were going to answer that score when Dowdle gave up the soft fumble just before the goal line. SO it isn't like we were getting killed out there, even considering it was their 1's against our 2's. We brought almost no pressure, while Jax sent several exotic blitzes. It is clear the teams had different goals with a preseason game.

Once it levelled off with 2's against 2's and 3's against 3's it was a pretty even game. How do you think Jax would have handled our #1 offense with their starting D? I think we would have rolled them. And our starting D against what they started the game with?

There were some bad things in the game...mainly the containment by the DE's and LB's and the lack of production by the OL, but there was a fair amount of good as well. No major injuries from what I have seen, so it was a good night's work.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
Did not watch but a few minutes of the game but I see posts saying Mazi did great stuffing the middle and now posts saying he looked bad, which was it?

starfan1

Reaction score
if he had better get off, then he could truly be one to push the pocket, but to your point, once he gets going, its tough to stop, given his size and strength. he minimally can clog up the middle and become an immovable object and that would be a great start. him and hankis can force a lot of plays outside and then its up to the LBs and DEs to contain.
Ya and since you mentioned contain how long has it been since we were good at contain. That 2nd string QB killed us with our ends pinching in. I can remember clear back to Demarcus Ware how susceptible we are to that read option

DAL1180

Reaction score
I watch all of South Carolina games. Brooks has potential but it just very raw at the moment. The potential is there. But he had limited reps at SC. A year on the practice squad will do him wonders.

The potential is there
I agree . I'm a 15 year season ticket holder at USC and you are right injuries kept him from getting more playing time while he was here. I am pleased with how he gas performed so far.

Carson

Reaction score
Did not watch but a few minutes of the game but I see posts saying Mazi did great stuffing the middle and now posts saying he looked bad, which was it?
Honestly, unless you’re a scout or pro at this or Aaron Donald it’s hard to judge.

Did he stuff the run? Yes
Did he look good? Yes
Was he a little slow getting off the line? Yes. But this will improve over time

Massive wins for Mazi, Schoon (finally healthy), Overshown and Deuce

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
Honestly, unless you’re a scout or pro at this or Aaron Donald it’s hard to judge.

Did he stuff the run? Yes
Did he look good? Yes
Was he a little slow getting off the line? Yes. But this will improve over time

Massive wins for Mazi, Schoon (finally healthy), Overshown and Deuce

Thanks Carson!

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Hope so but as was my concern with him coming out, he’s slow off the snap and I didn’t see him demanding double teams or eating the pocket. He has incredible size and strength but waiting to see it become a factor. Patience I hope….
Payne in Washington didn’t become dominant until like year 3

rambo2

Reaction score
if that's the case, probably hendershot.

it may come down to Leupke vs. Stephens. one going to PS and the other bottom of the roster. depends on cowboys thinkin if Stephens will clear waivers or not. if he continues like he has, some team will snap him up. he is going to need another year to round into a good pass catching TE.
Stephens looks like he will make the team and play. He has been doing this the entire camp.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
if that's the case, probably hendershot.

it may come down to Leupke vs. Stephens. one going to PS and the other bottom of the roster. depends on cowboys thinkin if Stephens will clear waivers or not. if he continues like he has, some team will snap him up. he is going to need another year to round into a good pass catching TE.
I was listening to the game on the radio and Sham was saying the people he has talked to want Luepeke on PS. Maybe that can change if he has a great preseason….but yeah I wouldn’t expect him to make the 53z

ghst187

Reaction score
Payne in Washington didn’t become dominant until like year 3
Yeah I get it and I hope Mazi comes into that.
Although I don’t think Mazi was near the prospect Payne was and Payne had more tackles in one season than Mazi did in three.
My biggest concern though is that slow get-off.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Yeah I get it and I hope Mazi comes into that.
Although I don’t think Mazi was near the prospect Payne was and Payne had more tackles in one season than Mazi did in three.
My biggest concern though is that slow get-off.
Mazi had more tackles in his last season than payne did in his last season. Yall like to revise history on Payne here constantly. Why lie? Smh.

Status
Not open for further replies.