Game Day ***Cowboys vs Jaguars post game thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoachD

Reaction score
Will Grier - The one read quarterback
Deuce - He's gotta get past the line of scrimmage to be effective
Overshown - Like the potential there
Defensive line - Ummmmm can you wrap up the QB please, that last TD was embarrassing!
Mazi - Played a ton last night some good some bad

75boyz

Reaction score
I thought there would be more effective traditional run plays and downhill run blocking.

I am not a fan of the West Coast offense and it's principles of the short passing game being an extension of the run game.

I thought the Schottenheimer hire was a move to ensure a balanced type running attack that I've described. Guess not.
Higher passing volume and this starting QB is not the answer.

Looking more and more like the offseason speech of run the damn ball and rest the dee was a lie.

My wait and see outlook is now even more skeptical of this scheme succeeding.

jmo

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
This!!!

I thought he played well for his first time out. There were plays where he was manhandling the oline and tossing them to the ground. He was disruptive and clogged holes for sure. He does have to work on getting off the ball quicker though. Not bad for the first time out
Yeah, he was fine. Some good and some bad. The thing it looked like to me is that Mazi just got wore out. He played a lot of snaps in that game… way more than he will in a regular season game. He just got tired, as any big guy with 50ish snaps would. The OL were fresh as new guys started rotating in, so that mattered too. In reg games, the OL will be tired, just like him.

In a real game I think 25-30 will be about his limit, so the effort he needs to put out on double teams will be there.

He will continue to get his conditioning in order as camp and the season goes on, and with fewer snaps should not be so tired out there trying to hold two offensive linemen that just came in the game in the 3rd quarter.

Overall it was a pretty encouraging outing for big Maz.

Carson

Reaction score
I thought there would be more effective traditional run plays and downhill run blocking.

I am not a fan of the West Coast offense and it's principles of the short passing game being an extension of the run game.

I thought the Schottenheimer hire was a move to ensure a balanced type running attack that I've described. Guess not.

Looking more and more like the offseason speech of run the damn ball and rest the dee was a lie.

jmo
It was just game one … with 25 vets out including the entire offensive line. The job was to get rid of the hall quick so they wouldn’t get crushed.

Dallas is always very vanilla and boring during the preseason.

It sucks watching the opposing defense stunt, blitz and gameplan.

But in the end, no serious injuries.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Just finished watching the replay of the game on NFLN. First, let me say, the NFLN sucked with that replay!! There were at least 5 times that they omitted team possessions. 3 times right before a commercial, the Cowboys got the ball back via punt or kickoff, and when they came back from commercial, they were showing Jax with the ball. I noticed a few minutes were missing from the play clock. I get that they have to condense the game to fit in their replay time allotment, but they could have shaved time off by not showing everything, including sideline stuff and all the wasted time between plays (huddles, etc.). So, not sure what happened during those missing minutes of play. At least there were no scoring drives that were deleted from the re-broadcast. Come on NFLN!! You can do better!! :mad:
Okay...now about the Cowboys. I thought it wasn't too bad for a 1st pre-season game. I liked Deuce, Overshown and Mazi!! Wasn't too thrilled with the back-up o-lineman. Let's pray we get Martin back and no other injuries to our starters!!

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Just finished watching the replay of the game on NFLN. First, let me say, the NFLN sucked with that replay!! There were at least 5 times that they omitted team possessions. 3 times right before a commercial, the Cowboys got the ball back via punt or kickoff, and when they came back from commercial, they were showing Jax with the ball. I noticed a few minutes were missing from the play clock. I get that they have to condense the game to fit in their replay time allotment, but they could have shaved time off by not showing everything, including sideline stuff and all the wasted time between plays (huddles, etc.). So, not sure what happened during those missing minutes of play. At least there were no scoring drives that were deleted from the re-broadcast. Come on NFLN!! You can do better!! :mad:
Okay...now about the Cowboys. I thought it wasn't too bad for a 1st pre-season game. I liked Deuce, Overshown and Mazi!! Wasn't too thrilled with the back-up o-lineman. Let's pray we get Martin back and no other injuries to our starters!!
I thought I was losing my mind. There were like 3 straight times in the first half where they omitted Cowboy drives when they went to commercial.

75boyz

Reaction score
It was just game one … with 25 vets out including the entire offensive line. The job was to get rid of the hall quick so they wouldn’t get crushed.

Dallas is always very vanilla and boring during the preseason.

It sucks watching the opposing defense stunt, blitz and gameplan.

But in the end, no serious injuries.
Yeah, I'm with you on the vanilla and no injuries part.
I just like my team to continue to have a strong run first game dependent mentality. Too much passing is not a recipe for success.

I thought the HC, along with Schott, would have showed a glimpse of some running game stuff I looked forward to.

Oh well,
Like you said I can "hope" that this is all because of it being the 1st preseason game and plain Jane, dont reveal anything, keep it to the vest coaching.

I hope you're right.
I'm not a fan of the WCO scheme for this team.

Last edited:

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I watch all of South Carolina games. Brooks has potential but it just very raw at the moment. The potential is there. But he had limited reps at SC. A year on the practice squad will do him wonders.

The potential is there
Grier did him no favors. His accuracy was off. He could have easily had a top day to go along with one of the better camps on the team.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score

I saw that also, they omitted some plays and I got confused they did not show the whole game.

Shannon1

Reaction score
Not getting hyped for this team. Still has obvious problems that many have called out. O line is one. Kicker is another. Love what I saw from Deuce, but don't know how many carries I want him getting at his size against first stringers.

We have serious flaws that will rear themselves against the 49ers, Eagles, and Jags in a play-off situation.
O yea Eagles San Francisco looked awesome in their preseason game s !

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I look at his demeanor. His on field demeanor is nothing like his off field bravado. He doesn't play with any swagger, always with his head down. That's the "savage" he proclaims he is? And let's be real. His pass breakup was a hint away from pass interference. If you don't believe in yourself at cb you're done. That's why they want him at safety

Fans on here believe in him more than he does himself
OK, so you didn't like his demeanor. The pass breakup was a good play. He timed sticking his arm up and knocked the ball away. If we want to criticize him for his demeanor and being "a hint away from pass interference," I think we're just looking to be critical.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

jmo
It’s just a preseason game.

They never said they would run the football more. It’s 2023. You have to pass to win.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Will Grier - The one read quarterback
Deuce - He's gotta get past the line of scrimmage to be effective
Overshown - Like the potential there
Defensive line - Ummmmm can you wrap up the QB please, that last TD was embarrassing!
Mazi - Played a ton last night some good some bad
With Deuce and what u said..every rb needs that. With Deuce all he needs is a crease thick as a sheet of paper and he will see it. He was behind a trash line Sat Night and still did very well. Yes, the tackling was terrible.

Plankton

Reaction score
He has a good voice and good delivery. But, holy crap, slow down with the hand movements. He’s annoying to watch, or perhaps exhausting is a better description.
Television is a visual medium, and Youmans doesn't know when to shut up. Too many play by play guys think that they need to narrate everything, and it's not the case. One of the things that made Pat Summerall as good as he was was his understanding of brevity and letting a moment breathe. A lot of play by players can heed and learn that lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.