Game Day ***Cowboys vs Raiders post game thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carson

Reaction score
Agreed. Richards is a future stud, Bass and Bell played well, Farniok is a solid backup center, even Waletzko played pretty well tonight.
People also forget that in the first two games we played our 2s en masse v. the starters for the first several drives and several of these guys held up very well.
They are young, but certainly not "dregs."
That's a lazy narrative.
I agree. But I’m out on Farniok.

Be doesnt deserve a spot just because he can play center. I didn’t see much progression at guard either.

He is just better than Hoffman / Lindstrom.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Definitely could change things. I think right now that Ball has made the roster. If he's injured, maybe we cut Edoga to get Ball to IR and then bring Edoga back. I'm still very concerned about swing tackle. Richards played very well at left tackle, but we didn't play him on the right. Waletzko struggled at RT (but I still think we view him as a project not worth risking to waivers).

Edoga came to us for cheap, so there were not a lot of suitors for him. I think there's a good chance we could get him to the PS and bring him up for three games while letting things shake out. Not sure I feel very good about him as the swing tackle either, though. Would rather kick out the guards (Tyler and Martin) if there is an injury at one of the tackle spots and insert Edoga at guard. (I would have some hope, though, if we lost Tyron and decided to plug in Richards instead of move Tyler. He has shown he might can handle it.)
They can place anyone on IR (out for season) before the cutdown. It's only when they want the guy to be on IR for return that they need to place them on the 53.

PUP they don't have to be on the 53 either but they can come back after missing 4 games. Jourdan Lewis is the only one currently eligible for PUP.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Grier's a beast yet some here who haven't seen him play say "anyone but Grier." Geez/. He destroyed the Raiders.
The Raiders were playing a basic defense with only 3 coverages and Dak was putting him in the perfect play.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Dak on calling plays, trading for Trey Lance & more

Then again, Dak did put the game in perspective, knowing the Raiders weren't exactly playing a complex scheme on defense.

"Once again, it's preseason football. Those guys gave us three coverages on the other side," Dak said. "I'm not going to sit here on my high horse like I just called the Super Bowl or something. It was a game and it was fun. It was fun to do and it was fun to experience that."

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Then again, Dak did put the game in perspective, knowing the Raiders weren't exactly playing a complex scheme on defense.

"Once again, it's preseason football. Those guys gave us three coverages on the other side," Dak said. "I'm not going to sit here on my high horse like I just called the Super Bowl or something. It was a game and it was fun. It was fun to do and it was fun to experience that."
His arrogance offends me.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

The cowboys just paid more for a guy to replace grier, a guy who will never have stats like these PS or not :laugh: .

Only the jones boys would do something this bizarre.
and now speculation that lance is to replace rush too lol, and even dak ! lol
he will be fast coached up by mike and shot, and will take over #1 in off season, and will start game one of 2024!

Honestly to me it makes no sense to do that trade.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

I have only seen the first half, and some of it credit to Will for ad lib stuff, but dak called more runs and at a time raiders expected pass.
Also liked the 2nd td play grier ran in. nice call.
And PS or not the play calling was better than what mike has done in PS. Maybe dak should call his own plays in the games?

DandyDon52

Reaction score

here is more from that article. To me this confirms the trade was all jones boys without consulting mike or dak .

dak said
""But that was the front office so we're going to welcome him as we do any teammate and hopefully he just makes us better and we're going to continue to get back at it and know that we've got one goal as a team."

blueblood70

Reaction score
Grier is going to be a heck of a #2 QB for someone. He showed a lot today
until what when he has to face a actual number one defense that's actually game planning and when they see him come in they're licking their chops that kind of one or one that just sits on the bench and looks good because fans think he looked really good against number fours.. Look he looks good for that game and he may very well be a decent backup someday but right now all he's ever been is a practice squad scrub everyone thought Cooper rushed after last year was gonna get a starting job or a premier backup job for big money and what happened?? What happened is not a single one of them saw what some of you think you saw because some of us are smart enough to know what we really are seeing and can keep our expectations lower..

kevm3

Reaction score
I have only seen the first half, and some of it credit to Will for ad lib stuff, but dak called more runs and at a time raiders expected pass.
Also liked the 2nd td play grier ran in. nice call.
And PS or not the play calling was better than what mike has done in PS. Maybe dak should call his own plays in the games?

That's what's sort of concerning for me. Under Mike's play-calling, Grier largely looked confused and ineffective. Under Dak, he looks like one of the best qbs in the preseason and there were tons of guys wide-open. I'm not saying make Dak a play-caller, but I'm wondering if we're missing out on a huge advantage due to not getting the most we can from the offensive play-calling

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
That's what's sort of concerning for me. Under Mike's play-calling, Grier largely looked confused and ineffective. Under Dak, he looks like one of the best qbs in the preseason and there were tons of guys wide-open. I'm not saying make Dak a play-caller, but I'm wondering if we're missing out on a huge advantage due to not getting the most we can from the offensive play-calling
I think that had more to do with how the Raiders were playing defense than who was calling the plays… although Prescott did a fine job calling them. There were just a ton of other variables that effected the game more than the play calling.

For instance, the OL played much better. After switching to a new scheme and a new OL coach, things are finally starting to take hold with the players, and the OL played a great game. When Mike was calling the plays, it definitely looked like the OL was learning on the fly, because they didn’t play nearly as well against the first two preseason opponents.

Plus, the Raiders were the only team that did like Dallas and started all of their backups. The other two teams began the game with their starters and Dallas was always deeper into their bench all the way into the 4th quarter, when both teams were playing their back of the roster types.

No, the offense Dak called is the same one Mike called in the first two games. Dak might’ve called a pass where Mike would’ve called a run (or vice versa), but it was all the same plays.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Gehlken says that Joseph, Cox, Simi, Bohanna, Farniok, and Ball may have played their last games. Gallimore outplayed Bohanna. Less sure about Ball because of the injury. He's got pretty good sources, doubtful this is just his opinion.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
the guy couldn't beat out Rush, think about that. Good luck Will.
Imo Grier did beat out Rush. But he was never going to get the job because the coaches had already anointed Rush #2 before camp began. But with the defense we have I think the coaches are looking at it as who is less likely to take chances and turn it over. The answer is Rush and he’s the bus driver.

Creeper

Reaction score
A few guys stood out to me but will it be enough? Luepke looked really good as a change of pace back. All the other Cowboys backs are similar. Vaughn is a change of pace because of his size but they don't have a guy like Luepke who is big and strong and can push the pile for a yard.

Billy-Johnson looked like he can play but against 3rd string DBs. Would have liked to see him in their against 1st or 2nd string players to see what he really has. Speed along is not enough. He could be a practice squad guy to develop for next year. I also like Drummond.

On the DL, do they keep hybrid DTs over really DTs like Gallimore and Bohanna? Golston has some game but do they cut a DT so he can play inside on passing downs? The same with Fehoko - who I like but is he ready to step inside this year? On the other hand, Golson can play some DE is Williams is suspended or someone else is injured. So can Fehoko. Still. I think they need to cover the DT spot first. I think they keep Bohanna or Gallimore and maybe try to get Land on the practice squad.

LB just seems think. I think they need 5 LBs, even with Kearse. If they go with only 4 then they are really exposing themselves if LVE of someone else goes down.

I hear a lot of noise about guys like Joseph and Cox getting cut, but I would cut Goodwin before Joseph just because of their ages. If Joseph didn't line up offisdes last night I don't think he would be getting cut at all. He has played CB pretty well in the preseason. I do not see what is so special about Eric Scott. Maybe he practices well, but in games he has looked pretty lost.

The backup linemen are going to be Asim Richards, Farniok, Bass, and Waletzko. Maybe one more guy. Some others will probably head to the practice squad.

No matter what happens some good Cowboys players will probably be playing for some other teams this year.

Reaction score
My picks:

QBs (3) Prescott, Rush, Lance
RBs (4) Pollard, Dowdle, Vaughn, Luepke
TEs (3) Ferguson, Hendershot, Schoonmaker
WRs (5) Lamb, Cooks, Gallup, Tolbert, Turpin
OL (10) Tyron, Tyler, Biadasz, Martin, Steele, Richards, Ball, Farniok, Bass, Waletzko

Bubble: Brooks or Edoga over Waletzko

DEs (5) Lawrence, Armstrong, Williams, Fowler, Land
DTs (5) Odighizuwa, Hankins, Mazi, Golston, Fehoko
LBs (4) Parsons, LVE, Clark, Harper
CBs (6) Diggs, Gilmore, Bland, Joseph, Scott, Goodwin
Ss (5) Kearse, Wilson, Hooker, Bell, Mukuamu

Bubble: Cox over Land or Fehoko, Thomas over Goodwin or Scott (might initially cut Goodwin and put him on the PS like we did last year)

K (1) Aubrey
P (1) Anger
LS (1) Sieg

PS (16 players) Grier, Davis, Brooks, Houston, Cropper-Moreno, Drummond, McKeon, Edoga, Bostick, Lindstrom, Bohanna, Cox, Jefferson, Thomas, Butler, Wright

Lewis starts the season on PUP or would need to be kept over Goodwin or Scott.
I'd be good with this... :thumbup:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
They can place anyone on IR (out for season) before the cutdown. It's only when they want the guy to be on IR for return that they need to place them on the 53.

PUP they don't have to be on the 53 either but they can come back after missing 4 games. Jourdan Lewis is the only one currently eligible for PUP.
I think Ball might fall into that category now that we know he's going to be out a couple of months. Not sure we have anyone else destined for short-term IR.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Just watched the replay on NFLN because it wasn't on here last night. There are going to be some difficult decisions over the next 48 hours.

With over 1,100 guys getting cut by Tuesday, even the 53 may not be the final 53. Thirty two teams will be scouring the waiver wire. :popcorn:

stinkface

Reaction score
Just watched the replay on NFLN because it wasn't on here last night. There are going to be some difficult decisions over the next 48 hours.

With over 1,100 guys getting cut by Tuesday, even the 53 may not be the final 53. Thirty two teams will be scouring the waiver wire. :popcorn:
Agree. When you have a single cut down, that's a ton of players hitting the streets. Folks like Will Clay are spending long hours getting their wish list ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.