Game Day ***Cowboys vs Washington post game thread***

ReverendFelcher

Reaction score
I think our defense with all of our starters playing and gaining confidence and a woody for blood is the story of this game. Not our lack of O. Dak can be a better than average game manager for all I care. Defense wins championships, not flashy offensive stats.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
We won't put games away until we have a power running game. Even with an extra O lineman in the backfield, we struggle to gain 4 yds on a 1st down run.

And that's on Zeke taking plays off....he sure chooses when he wants to run hard....and that's BS. That ought to be the coaches call to manage him. And that makes him unreliable. How can you trust a player like that if you don't know what kind of effort your going to get? :mad:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Well, that's what I'm saying though. If he sees lanes open, he should be trusted to at least try for the yards and slide when he's gotten what he can get. He's protected when he slides by the rules. I think the calf injury may have damaged his confidence, but I also think he's being coached not to run, and the way he hesitates looks coached to me. I think allowing him to do more of what he does best would help alleviate this problem and help him get more confidence back.

If so...then that's bad coaching. Don't ever plant a seed of doubt into a players head....either not to make a play or not.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Hey, Hinkey, I'm gonna be here all day.

crgixxohnhlsiflvn7s4.jpg

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I'll ignore the offense. I'll also complain about the decision to play prevent defense at 7 minutes, wonder why quinn never learns and leave it at that.

The defense when trying is freaking awesome. Its a critical mass of skill that offenses are going to have trouble with. That 5 man defensive line with Parsons changing gaps has to give O lines nightmares. They seriously have to go up against Parsons, Tank, Gregory, Osa and Gallimore and win ALL FIVE one on one match ups.

That's not just it though. Gallimore was getting a push today. He really screwed up Washington's run offense. Beyond that, you don't see the broken plays and confused defenders like last year. Everyone seems to be on the same page.

Its just one game but if they can play like that consistently its going to be one of the best defenses Dallas has seen in a long time.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If so...then that's bad coaching. Don't ever plant a seed of doubt into a players head....either not to make a play or not.

I agree. Idk if it's Dak making those decisions or if he's coached to make those decisions, but it needs to change. I'm not saying he needs to run it a lot. I'm just saying he needs to be more willing to run when the Lanes are open. As stated, to me, the hesitation and the lack of confidence I saw after one failed drive suggests to me that it's coached. I think Dak wants to run in those situations, but he's not playing like we normally see him play those situations. To me, something changed. Maybe Dak just decided not to or he's coached. I don't know, but someone needs to tell him to take a few more chances. There's nothing wrong with running for 5+ yards and sliding when he's got all he can get out of it. I'm not saying he should go headfirst into a collision. I'm just saying take what the defence gives you and get down when you have gotten what you can. That's effective, and it'll make the defence hesitate.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'll ignore the offense. I'll also complain about the decision to play prevent defense at 7 minutes, wonder why quinn never learns and leave it at that.

The defense when trying is freaking awesome. Its a critical mass of skill that offenses are going to have trouble with. That 5 man defensive line with Parsons changing gaps has to give O lines nightmares. They seriously have to go up against Parsons, Tank, Gregory, Osa and Gallimore and win ALL FIVE one on one match ups.

That's not just it though. Gallimore was getting a push today. He really screwed up Washington's run offense. Beyond that, you don't see the broken plays and confused defenders like last year. Everyone seems to be on the same page.

Its just one game but if they can play like that consistently its going to be one of the best defenses Dallas has seen in a long time.

I agree with this. I hate when we go prevent. The defence had been suffocating both QBs on Washington. Why change it? They couldn't handle Parsons and the pride. Keep destroying them.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I agree. Idk if it's Dak making those decisions or if he's coached to make those decisions, but it needs to change. I'm not saying he needs to run it a lot. I'm just saying he needs to be more willing to run when the Lanes are open. As stated, to me, the hesitation and the lack of confidence I saw after one failed drive suggests to me that it's coached. I think Dak wants to run in those situations, but he's not playing like we normally see him play those situations. To me, something changed. Maybe Dak just decided not to or he's coached. I don't know, but someone needs to tell him to take a few more chances. There's nothing wrong with running for 5+ yards and sliding when he's got all he can get out of it. I'm not saying he should go headfirst into a collision. I'm just saying take what the defence gives you and get down when you have gotten what you can. That's effective, and it'll make the defence hesitate.

I agree.....he needs to run....but I just don't think he can.....@ least not to the point where he inserts fear into a defense that they have to account for him running. Right now....I thinks teams are more than happy to see him try and run...because they know he can't.....and now he's making poor decisions...and not seeing the field.

That pick 6....I don't know how he didn't see it coming... Everyone in America saw the endzone shot...and the LBer was just standing right there in the passing lane....and he locked on the crossing route....never saw him....when a high school QB would have saw that...and thrown it away....or @ least run it to keep the clock moving.....instead.....you get a huge mistake that just about cost you the game.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I agree.....he needs to run....but I just don't think he can.....@ least not to the point where he inserts fear into a defense that they have to account for him running. Right now....I thinks teams are more than happy to see him try and run...because they know he can't.....and now he's making poor decisions...and not seeing the field.

That pick 6....I don't know how he didn't see it coming... Everyone in America saw the endzone shot...and the LBer was just standing right there in the passing lane....and he locked on the crossing route....never saw him....when a high school QB would have saw that...and thrown it away....or @ least run it to keep the clock moving.....instead.....you get a huge mistake that just about cost you the game.

I think he can run. I just don't know if the problem is 1. He doesn't want to, 2. He's scared/uncomfortable, 3. He's coached not to, or 4. A combination of these. Either way, the coaches or him need to come up with something. Maybe a sports psychology could help.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Our ST and now our punting needs to be addressed. Constantly putting the ball in bad spots on punts, kicking touch backs instead of pinning them inside the 5, these things matter. Running into the kicker again, this stuff has to stop.

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
Our ST and now our punting needs to be addressed. Constantly putting the ball in bad spots on punts, kicking touch backs instead of pinning them inside the 5,.

wait what ???!
Our punter is ranked 5th in the nfl in avg.
He has 17 punts inside the 20 out of 52 punts this season
Our punter is not our issues