Twitter: Cowboys were interested in WR Watkins

LittleD

Reaction score
Please remember, Stephen is just not willing to pay anywhere close to the going rate for FA these days.
He thinks all of them are overpaid no matter their skill level. The Cowboys are moving to the cheap seats
and will continue to try and field a winner through the draft.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The point is not about Watkins, but about the team becoming competitive. More of the same, but we damn sure saved money doesn't get it. You watched the eagles last season go out and make a difference. And this year they will be in the hunt because Wentz is much better than Foles. And they are still adding players and making deals. Dallas just allowed a linebacker to walk. So this team isn't even keeping the status quo.

Dallas is doing their usual pushing paper around the desk and looking like they are busy when the boss walks by.

Again this is not about over[paying Watkins. This is about a team who take table scraps and sings theor praises as the one piece to get over the hump as they allow their better players to walk.

How does it feel to be the farm team for the rest of the league?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The point is not about Watkins, but about the team becoming competitive. More of the same, but we damn sure saved money doesn't get it. You watched the eagles last season go out and make a difference. And this year they will be in the hunt because Wentz is much better than Foles. And they are still adding players and making deals. Dallas just allowed a linebacker to walk. So this team isn't even keeping the status quo.

Dallas is doing their usual pushing paper around the desk and looking like they are busy when the boss walks by.

Again this is not about over[paying Watkins. This is about a team who take table scraps and sings theor praises as the one piece to get over the hump as they allow their better players to walk.

How does it feel to be the farm team for the rest of the league?

Who's the farm team of the league?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Nope but hey if they did, they at least did something. I think most of CBZ would prefer the days of huge FA signings that accomplished nothing like Rivera, Carr, Hamlin, etc.
You can't take the approach of "at least they did something...". That's a silly approach to take when building a team.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know how that's even possible when pretty much every thread on the front page is fully littered with snarky comments/jokes and jabs directed at the coaches, players, and FO's inability to make good decisions.

The scales here at CZ have been tipped pretty heavily in one direction for a little while now, and it's definitely not in the direction of "making excuses for".

Ding Ding Ding.

Wood

Reaction score
Can we really consider "Dallas was interested" if they were only willing to pay $8 million and market was $16 million. I think you have to be within 20% of final price to be considered interested.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I’m not a fan of Watkins but this is saying something that we called about signing him.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Who's the farm team of the league?

Obviously Dallas when they have solid players they groom that walk, while the brain trust over pays to keep other players whose production erodes year after year.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Obviously Dallas when they have solid players they groom that walk, while the brain trust over pays to keep other players whose production erodes year after year.

What player have they gotten rid of that went on to have success elsewhere? If Hitchen's goes on to a Hall of Fame career...he surely would be the first. Cowboys for all of their flaws......they do a good job of getting rid of guys. You never hear from them again.

They surely aren't some "farm team" you are making them out to be.

What you are saying doesn't even make since. They are a farm team but overpay for guys....you can't be accused of doing both.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What player have they gotten rid of that went on to have success elsewhere? If Hitchen's goes on to a Hall of Fame career...he surely would be the first. Cowboys for all of their flaws......they do a good job of getting rid of guys. You never hear from them again.

They surely aren't some "farm team" you are making them out to be.

What you are saying doesn't even make since. They are a farm team but overpay for guys....you can't be accused of doing both.

M.Bennett has had success on different teams, he is just a bonehead that they do not keep around.
Fasano went on to spend some years with the Dolphins.
Amendola might have had the most success after going to the patriots.
Matt Moore maybe.

Not really a great big group of success stories after we have let players go.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't care if you agree or not. Tell me you feel better about the linebackers today.

The Pats do a good job of getting rid of guys. Dez is a prime example of Jerry loading up on a two cent brain. Looks like the Eagles have a way of building a team.

Now sidestep your argument and enlighten me how this team just fills you with hope. This is the same shate, different day kind of franchise.

Go cheer someone else up.

mardwin

Reaction score
Let's draft a receiver in either round #1 or #2 and get rid of that $70M WR and the $49M DT

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I call BS. Don’t believe for a second we were after Watkins knowing the price range.

I partly agree with you. I think the team had some interest but Jerry offered him a 2 yr 16 million deal. Watkins' agent immediately hung up. There's your story.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

Whew.

The Blogging The Boys people got this all figured out.

Tristan

Reaction score
I can't tell, is that sarcasm?

Me, I'm just looking for honesty. If you're lamenting the fact that Dallas didn't pay Watkins $16 million, come out and say it on record, rather than just using it as something to criticize the Cowboys about.

I'm glad that they didn't do either of the deals the Chiefs reportedly made. With Watkins or Hitchens. Both look to be grossly overpaid.
Man Ive been driving the get sammy bandwagon but at that price no way! Trade me Behckam and il pay him that but sammy hasnt earned it yet.

Thst said it wouldnt suprise me if he blew up and became an all pro or stayed doing the same ol

LittleD

Reaction score
I’m not a fan of Watkins but this is saying something that we called about signing him.

When you're playing Texas Holdum with the rest of the league and don't have the chips, you get rolled.