Twitter: Cowboys were interested in WR Watkins

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The market is what is it is. You can make a relative value decision in your circumstances and not pay it, but it’s obvious the market for Watkins was 3/$48m and $9m/yr. for Hitch.

Yep. By definition. We’ll see what the guaranteed money and structure is because when production doesn’t match the top line numbers like it doesn’t here, teams tend to unilaterally redefine the market a year or two later.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
It looks like they were looking to sign Watkins and cut Dez but the price was too high. I think I would rather keep Dez and pair him with another top receiver. Dez may be a no 2 at this point but he could be a valuable one. The problem is we don't have a no 1 and he is expensive for a no 2.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
It looks like they were looking to sign Watkins and cut Dez but the price was too high. I think I would rather keep Dez and pair him with another top receiver. Dez may be a no 2 at this point but he could be a valuable one. The problem is we don't have a no 1 and he is expensive for a no 2.
Per the reports the idea with Watkins was not to pair with Bryant but replace him.

If so, that's a pretty frightening thought all on its own.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Dallas is only replacing butler. Looking to spend 1-2 mil a year.

Last edited:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
$16MM for Watkins’ production is literally paying him twice what he’s worth.

3/$48 to KC is insane.

And get this ........since it's a three year deal, he'll only be 27 when this deal ends which lines him up for another big payday.

BTW..... someone tweeted the current CBA ends 2021/22. That's the reason for all the THREE-year deals we are seeing

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Draft one,and I'd take Ridley if available. Dallas overinvested in the #1 and #2 and the only way out of that door,is not through FA.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Thank goodness it didn't happen but man...we've all been wanting the Cowboys to make some moves in free agency and THIS is what they were trying to do? Not a good sign at all :omg:

Big_D

Reaction score
Per the reports the idea with Watkins was not to pair with Bryant but replace him.

That would've forced the coaches to spread the wealth. Not just endlessly trying to get 88 involved. It's a problem and will continue to be one. They have to get away from forcing him the ball, it's just not working. I think Watkins replacing Dez would've been a blessing more than curse. But it will likely be another year of the square peg in a round hole routine. It's really been working out great so far!

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Sometimes other teams help us keep from signing a injured player or over priced player.

But we can still complain when we did not sign an oft injured or overpriced player...it is the CBZ way.

Yeah, I wasn't at all interested in Sammy Watkins for that kind of cap hit.

But I get the frustration fans feel after 20+ years of minimal success from an organization that used to be a perennial contender.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score

Wait...

What? That is terrifying actually.... But also exciting that we want to replace Dez

Idk how to take that

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Wait...

What? That is terrifying actually.... But also exciting that we want to replace Dez

Idk how to take that
I just think they are paralyzed by indecision right now.

On one hand you have Stephen over here talking tough about Bryant and then Jerry Jones is coddling him.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
But honestly, would you have been happy if it was Dallas paying Watkins $48 million over the next three years?

We all know he’d be going hard against the cowboys no matter the outcome

Everything looks like a nail when the only tool you have is a hammer.

coult44

Reaction score
That may have been at one time...now the negative FAR outweighs that. Not even close now.

Forum has many more bitter old women at the nursing home compared to happy fans in a rainbow room.

23 years of supporting a loser will do that to people.

coult44

Reaction score

And then, to screw it up like they usually do, made it worse!! The lose on Sammy and then piss off Dez at the same time. This is typical of JJ and th rest of the FO.

Proximo

Reaction score
See I'd argue the CBZ way is to make excuses for this Front Office.

I don't know how that's even possible when pretty much every thread on the front page is fully littered with snarky comments/jokes and jabs directed at the coaches, players, and FO's inability to make good decisions.

The scales here at CZ have been tipped pretty heavily in one direction for a little while now, and it's definitely not in the direction of "making excuses for".