Twitter: Cowboys were interested in WR Watkins

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think they visited or plan to visit with the number of WRs in this draft class just to replace the 2-5 WR.

Just saying.

With that said...whether it happens or not remains to be seen.

John813

Reaction score
Do you believe Dez’s agent didn’t know what the market was going to be? That’s their job - Dallas never had any leverage.

Well it would be "leverage" in that we have his replacement had he not taken a paycut. Paycut and stay in Dallas or go elsewhere.
But yea, if his agent knew guys like Watkins would get 16mil, then yea it was just talk about any paycut.

That being said, I rather have Dez 11/10 times over Watkins at even 12 mil.
Only guy I would probably move Dez for was Robinson.

dfense

Reaction score
Ravens are after him.

But we will hear "Dallas was interested".
Montcrief averaged 35 yards a game the last two years. Both of which he's missed time. He's had 4 100 yard games his entire career. Is that considered an upgrade?

aikemirv

Reaction score
Nope but hey if they did, they at least did something. I think most of CBZ would prefer the days of huge FA signings that accomplished nothing like Rivera, Carr, Hamlin, etc.
That's just stupid!

jrumann59

Reaction score
Honestly think the same. I am not opposed to Terrelle Pryor because he would be super cheap and may provide something.

I thought he was GREAT with the browns- and I really mean that. Not sure why last year was so terrible for him but it sure seems like he has a top notch work ethic
He was great with the browns the same reason RW11 was great with the Lions, when your team sucks and you always have to pass and the other team just cares about the win and not garbage time stats it is easy to have nice stats

JustChip

Reaction score
Well it would be "leverage" in that we have his replacement had he not taken a paycut. Paycut and stay in Dallas or go elsewhere.
But yea, if his agent knew guys like Watkins would get 16mil, then yea it was just talk about any paycut.

That being said, I rather have Dez 11/10 times over Watkins at even 12 mil.
Only guy I would probably move Dez for was Robinson.

But here’s the thing, you don’t need Dez to take a pay cut after you sign his replacement- you just cut or trade him. Dez would not work out as 2nd fiddle to someone else.

I agree, keep Dez one more year rather than Going after SW. it might make sense to exchange Robinson for Dez, but you can’t ignore the injury issue.

Lutonio

Reaction score
I'd rather the team not pay Watkins to nurse another foot injury.

conner01

Reaction score
But honestly, would you have been happy if it was Dallas paying Watkins $48 million over the next three years?
The same fans bashing Jerry for not getting him would be bashing the deal in a few months
Watkins is not worth the risk for that price
Just like fans really wanted Roy Williams then complained about signing him

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas is basically trying to repeat a cheap signing of Laurent and hitting gold again.

So they ask about some of these players and the players and their agents are asking too much, as they should, the cowboys say no and so the player goes to another team willing to pay more.

In doing so...we not only complain about not making a big splash, even though admitting the other team over paid for the player...now we are making it a conspiracy that because the cowboys,or someone reporting about the cowboys, says we were interested it is a way just to try and placate the fans that they are trying to do something.

If you really believe they are trying to placate the fans, I have a huge tropical beach front property to sell you you good old West Virginia. Or if you are really being honest with yourself you will probably admit it is silly and just another excuse to complain about this FO.

They don't need any conspiracy theories or extra made up excuses to complain about them...they make enough valid reasons to complain about them.

JustChip

Reaction score
Dallas is basically trying to repeat a cheap signing of Laurent and hitting gold again.

So they ask about some of these players and the players and their agents are asking too much, as they should, the cowboys say no and so the player goes to another team willing to pay more.

In doing so...we not only complain about not making a big splash, even though admitting the other team over paid for the player...now we are making it a conspiracy that because the cowboys,or someone reporting about the cowboys, says we were interested it is a way just to try and placate the fans that they are trying to do something.

If you really believe they are trying to placate the fans, I have a huge tropical beach front property to sell you you good old West Virginia. Or if you are really being honest with yourself you will probably admit it is silly and just another excuse to complain about this FO.

They don't need any conspiracy theories or extra made up excuses to complain about them...they make enough valid reasons to complain about them.

Well freakin said!!!!

links18

Reaction score
I am interested in a Ferrari, but not at the price they want for it. ;)

aikemirv

Reaction score
How so look at all the hand wringers here, crying in their cheerios because Dallas did not over pay for Hitchens, or Watkins, or Robinson, or trade for Bennett, or Ogletree
Not saying that your comment was stupid, just that that attitude is stupid

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think people are just tired of being bad and cap poor at the same time. Seems reasonable after 20 years.

We pretty much live the same year over and over again and the calendar says it's time to defend a failed front office's approach to bring back the same team plus a draft class to fail yet again in 2018.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
The fan is taking the angle on this that Dallas wanted to release Bryant last night and sign watkins. They keep saying Dallas views watkins as better than Dez.

When dez hears this stuff on the radio I dont think he is going to take it well.

JustChip

Reaction score
$16MM for Watkins’ production is literally paying him twice what he’s worth.

3/$48 to KC is insane.

The market is what is it is. You can make a relative value decision in your circumstances and not pay it, but it’s obvious the market for Watkins was 3/$48m and $9m/yr. for Hitch.