CFZ Cowboys will have the most rookie starters in NFC at beginning of season

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think Liufau will start, but he will probably see quite a bit of playing time, especially if Overshown isn't ready to go.

IMO, the starters will be Clark, Kendricks and Parsons on run downs. Liufau and Overshown may get significant reps in the nickel.

But I do believe we'll still have four rookie starters because Kneeland will play one of the DE spots on run downs. Of course, those run-down reps probably will be divided among Kneeland, Lawrence and Golston to keep Lawrence rested to play on pass downs.
According to the ESPN Cowboys depth chart, Liafau is listed as a starting LB. I know that’s not official, but it’s one depth chart listed. Here’s the ESPN link: https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/dal

Pro Football Network currently lists Overshown as the starter. He might as well be a rookie because he’s never played an NFL game either. PFN depth chart: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl/teams/dallas-cowboys/depth-chart

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
According to the ESPN Cowboys depth chart, Liafau is listed as a starting LB. I know that’s not official, but it’s one depth chart listed. Here’s the ESPN link: https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/dal

Pro Football Network currently lists Overshown as the starter. He might as well be a rookie because he’s never played an NFL game either. PFN depth chart: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl/teams/dallas-cowboys/depth-chart
He was listed on the depth charts the team released as a starter as well. I just will be surprised if he's actually out there when we are in the regular 4-3 alignment. I think he's a nickel starter and that Overshown might be, too. I think they are our best coverage linebackers. Kendricks definitely shouldn't be out there for that and I don't see it particularly as a strength of Clark's.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
4 really is not that many; though two on the o line is a bit of a worry.
Carson is only starting due to injuries.

What is telling about this years rookie class as a whole is how few are starting for the bad teams.

of the Dirty Dozen, I think more started that year then this
If I can live through 1-15, I can make it through watching a few extra rooks. Go Cowboys

plasticman

Reaction score
Three actual starters will tie the Cowboys record for rookie starters in game #1. Four legitimate starters will break that record.

Don't bother looking for that record among the Landry years, lol. He did start some rookies, yes, but there are several gaps in the years when he did. His record is 2.

The first season they started 3 rookies in game #1 was 2002. No surprise there. They had drafted high thanks to the previous 5-11 season. They started Roy Williams, Andre Gurode and Antonio Bryant.

The next time was 2013 when they started two rookie O-linemen, Travis Frederick and Ronald Leary in addition to WR Terance Williams.

The last time was 2020 when they started Lamb, Diggs, and Steele.

The Cowboys lost in 2002 but won in both 2013 and 2020.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
It’s easy to be excited about the 2024 Cowboys rookie class. As of today, 7 rookies made the 53 man roster and likely 4 of those rookies are projected to either start or see significant playing time in Cleveland. We will learn a lot about these rookies starting next Sunday. So far, this rookie class has outshined the 2023 class.

So who will our rookie starters likely be for opening night in Cleveland? As of today it will be LT Tyler Guyton, C Cooper Bebee, CB Caelen Carson and LB Marist Liafau. DE Marshawn Kneeland will also probably see significant snaps as well. I’m very excited to see how these guys perform under the regular season bright lights.

Also, it’s interesting to see that the Cowboys starting 4 rookies is the most in the NFC. This will change as the season goes along of course, but as of today here are how many rookie starters each NFC team will have according the depth charts provided at “Our Lads”:
  • Cowboys: 4
  • Rams, giants: 3
  • Bears, packers, Bucs, cards: 2
  • Niners, lions, egirls, vikings, panthers, saints, commanders: 1
  • Falcons, seahawks: 0
Starting 4 rookies is exciting but does also have some roller coaster qualities. Even the most talented rookies can have great games followed by a bad one. All part of the learning process. Starting multiple rookies is a two sided coin. It speaks well of their talent and potential to start right away.

But rookies can also have a learning curve that takes some patience. It’s extremely rare for a rookie to immediately be a starter and play at a consistently high level. We will see starting next Sunday. Can’t wait to see how these guys perform.
I agree, I can't wait to see how those first year guys do as well. The fact that 2 of them are OL makes me not worry as much. Carson is only starting because of injury, so ideally they would only have 3.
There will obviously be growing pains. It would be unrealistic to expect them all the be great from the start and have no hiccups. However, if there is one position the Cowboys seem to be real good at when they turn their attention to it is OL.
I am equally excited to see how the guys drafted the year before do as well. Mazi, Overshown and Schoon. As well as guys like Tolbert, Clark and Dowdle. Time to find out what they really have with those guys. I was really looking forward to seeing what Sam Williams could do with more reps. Not so sure he isn't a lunkhead - but there is also a big upside with him too. As with Oversewn the year before, we will have to wait until next year on him.

plasticman

Reaction score
I guess I’m old enough to remember when old school coaches used to say that however many rookies you started was how many close game losses you would have in a season.

I don’t think that‘s still true but having to count on multiple rookies to give your team a realistic shot at making the playoffs is risky business. I like our rookies but rookies are still players with no NFL experience.
It seems as though many college programs are reaching a level to where it is easier today for some players to transition into the NFL game. At least, that is what some coaches and media have expressed.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It seems as though many college programs are reaching a level to where it is easier today for some players to transition into the NFL game. At least, that is what some coaches and media have expressed.
I think it depends on the position. RBs, WRs some OL positions and Corners often make a quick transition. QB obviously is always difficult.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
I think some of it is the salary cap too. When so many of these teams pay their QB so much, and now WR are getting the big bucks, teams are going to have to have guys who are getting paid low at some of the other spots. Its the only way to field a team under the cap. As usual it comes down to $.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Three actual starters will tie the Cowboys record for rookie starters in game #1. Four legitimate starters will break that record.

Don't bother looking for that record among the Landry years, lol. He did start some rookies, yes, but there are several gaps in the years when he did. His record is 2.

The first season they started 3 rookies in game #1 was 2002. No surprise there. They had drafted high thanks to the previous 5-11 season. They started Roy Williams, Andre Gurode and Antonio Bryant.

The next time was 2013 when they started two rookie O-linemen, Travis Frederick and Ronald Leary in addition to WR Terance Williams.

The last time was 2020 when they started Lamb, Diggs, and Steele.

The Cowboys lost in 2002 but won in both 2013 and 2020.
Kind of interesting that in all three of those seasons the Cowboys did not make the playoffs.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I agree, I can't wait to see how those first year guys do as well. The fact that 2 of them are OL makes me not worry as much. Carson is only starting because of injury, so ideally they would only have 3.
There will obviously be growing pains. It would be unrealistic to expect them all the be great from the start and have no hiccups. However, if there is one position the Cowboys seem to be real good at when they turn their attention to it is OL.
I am equally excited to see how the guys drafted the year before do as well. Mazi, Overshown and Schoon. As well as guys like Tolbert, Clark and Dowdle. Time to find out what they really have with those guys. I was really looking forward to seeing what Sam Williams could do with more reps. NotI so sure he isn't a lunkhead - but there is also a big upside with him too. As with Oversewn the year before, we will have to wait until next year on him.
I'd probably be a little more concerned if Beebe was starting as guard at a third-round rookie, even if that's his natural position. Center is the most protected position on the line where he doesn't have to worry as much about side-to-side mobility. If he can snap the ball well, which is a big if, he primarily has to worry about help-blocking with the guards and sometimes having to go one-on-one with the man in front of him. He won't have reach blocks like the guards and I'm not sure how much pulling he'll do. Mostly he'll be holding his ground in pass protection and moving forward in run blocking.

It feels strange to say that I feel better about a rookie third-rounder starting a position he hasn't played, but it's the nature of the position that makes me feel good about it. Beebe may be a third-round guard, but he may be a first-round-caliber center.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Carson and ML are starting due to injuries so I’m not sure it really counts. Carson will obviously sit once Bland is back, but I expect ML to claim that job considering Overshown has shown absolutely zero.
What the heck are you talking about? ML hasn’t shown anything at all since neither has played in a real game yet. Claiming that job constitutes at least showing something in a game. It will be earned on the field.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd probably be a little more concerned if Beebe was starting as guard at a third-round rookie, even if that's his natural position. Center is the most protected position on the line where he doesn't have to worry as much about side-to-side mobility. If he can snap the ball well, which is a big if, he primarily has to worry about help-blocking with the guards and sometimes having to go one-on-one with the man in front of him. He won't have reach blocks like the guards and I'm not sure how much pulling he'll do. Mostly he'll be holding his ground in pass protection and moving forward in run blocking.

It feels strange to say that I feel better about a rookie third-rounder starting a position he hasn't played, but it's the nature of the position that makes me feel good about it. Beebe may be a third-round guard, but he may be a first-round-caliber center.
The thing about the center position that is often underrated is the responsibility they have to call out proper protection or blocking schemes based on the situation. They often have to identify where LBs are and call it out for the others. In essence, the center is the “QB of the OL”.

I think Bebee is going to be outstanding but I do think there will be some learning curve.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Great draft class.

I'm glad people are putting numbers to it. Getting a bunch of day 1 starters in the draft is not normal. Despite that, it seems that fans expect it year in and year out. If these guys perform, Will McClay can do a mic drop.

Last year was a bad class. It happens. In hindsight, the draft simply broke different than Dallas expected and the guys they wanted (like Laporta who is very good) went early and they ended up reaching for need. This year the draft broke well for Dallas.

gimmesix

Reaction score
The thing about the center position that is often underrated is the responsibility they have to call out proper protection or blocking schemes based on the situation. They often have to identify where LBs are and call it out for the others. In essence, the center is the “QB of the OL”.

I think Bebee is going to be outstanding but I do think there will be some learning curve.
I don't disagree. I think having Martin next to him will help tremendously. Even with other centers, we've often seen Martin pointing things out or helping with when to snap the ball.

Proof

Reaction score
Osa Odighizuwa with Micah Parsons and DeMarcus Lawrence, makes for a very strong defensive line.

Kneeland with the return of Sam Williams next season will round out that group top shelf.

The size added this off season, and the further development of Smith, and further group in the tackles will make the defensive line top shelf and deep.
who is smith?