Twitter: Cowboys will let Jones hit Free Agency

Kaiser

Reaction score
i'd say mac considers dak better than mediocre, which he clearly is. but dak's not the singularity he thinks he is. I deign from using "up certain body parts" as I eschew vulgarity. he's spewing the party line which makes perfect sense. but in the end (no pun) it will come down to the fo's ability to sign him for what seems an extremely exorbitant amount of money. one that will seriously impact the rest of the team.

Agree with all of that but the price. I think Dallas will do what they have almost everyone since the Tyrone Crawford deal and pay him the market rate. It will be similar to the Goff and Wentz deals but not set a new level for QB's. Also I think that (just like the Zeke) deal it will be structured in a more team-friendly way than people are expecting.

But my main point is that we should be way past the point of people calling Dak mediocre.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
NOR YOU lmao some how you think you are right and yet you re an internet expert and have more weight then my opinion? :lmao2:neither of us know what the real deal is,

but AC , Dak, and Jones not signed rumor 2 of 3 are gone, so ill be closer to correct then you..

so whos MORE RIGHT? if the DC dont think AC is worth 19, Jones 16 and dak 36 and they are football people who drafted all of them, also new staff could be in Jerrys ear and welp they al are still unsigned, then well they sit and await their fate which I am guaranteeing a majority feel the way I do.. great players overpricing themselves and whomever signs them for that, will regret it 3 yrs from now...:huh::angry:

Again you're being hilarious. First you sound just like every other sportswriter who SPECULATES their ideas with ZERO actual first hand known facts to back up anything. The opinions I have said are based on what Jerry, Stephen and McCarthy have publicly said. You base yours on the speculation of sportswriters. Now many have said because of what Prescott's and Cooper's contracts will come to, the Cowboys may not be able to sign Jones and have a better shot at getting Quinn who did lead the Cowboys in sacks last season.

Again you will let us all know when a NFL team does knock on your door and offers you their GM job won't you?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

"I think, No. 1, you just look at what he's done in his time in the league," McCarthy said of Prescott. "I think he's been impressive. I've been impressed with him since the first time I saw him play live up in Green Bay when they came to Lambeau. I think first impressions are very important when you see quarterbacks on the field because in-person evaluations, particularly at that position, have always carried more weight as far as how I felt about a player. So, I think he's got off to a great start. He's built a really good foundation. I'm told he's a tremendous leader. In my philosophy, as we get with the personnel department, as we go through that, defenses get you to the championship, and quarterback's win championships. And I definitively feel Dak is that quarterback."

Mike McCarthy, Feb 25, 2020
Looks like you’ve shut up the @Hadenough hose of Dak hate for a bit.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I don’t care about the interceptions. If he can maintain better than a 5 yard cushion on the WR, he’s worth a look.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I actually agree with the fact that it's flat out strange he doesn't get turnovers, yet coverage skills are very important. I totally agree.

As far as Jones and Cooper? I wouldn't over pay for either. But Byron at 15mil with some of the juicy WR talent coming out of this years draft, to me, seems more enticing than Cooper at 18mil with an entirely unknown Jones replacement.

Assuming they get top dollar, of course.

Gotta cut somewhere. Zeke, to me was the obvious monster mistake. Both taking a RB that high and compounding it my making him the highest paid player at a position you simply shouldn't ever do that.

I take Cooper over Jones. #1 because he will be overpaid and cant pick a pass and #2 because we gave up the #1 for cooper. I also think cooper is the better player and Dak loves him.

I would rather use a high pick on a CB in THIS draft.

Sydla

Reaction score
He'll end up in Philly.

And magically find a pair of hands and start racking up interceptions.

Carson

Reaction score
He'll end up in Philly.

Broncos or Raiders IMO

Eagles aren't in terrific cap space and need help at WR as well

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Its funny how media and talk heads, and fans are making a fuss about byron jones. Theyre talking about him like he's deion sanders now that he's going to hit FA, but during the season they were calling him out every week. Aikman himself was saying anything inside was almost a guaranteed reception vs Jones.

Jones benefited from constant S help over the top while Awuzie was left on a island. Law's youtube video showed this late in the yr when fans were calling Awuzie the worst thing in the universe.

Jones is ok but he has serious issues with his back turn to the QB. Unless a team is going to cover him with a S the way Richard did then i dont see results any different then when he was getting beat in Dallas defense preRichard.

If Dallas saw it any different i think they wouldnt let him go. This team has a history that they dont let players they like go. They've shown that they would manipulate the cap to do what they have to, to keep players.

Johnny23

Reaction score
Yes, turnovers are huge. You know what else is huge? Shutting down an offensive weapon.

Remember Revis Island? If Jones had been allowed, or instructed, or coached..or whatever..to shadow the #1 receiver at all times, who knows what would have been said now?

Regardless, what we disagree on is all semantics at this point. Dallas cannot afford important pieces on Defense because of the potential excessive bankroll on offense.
Revis was also getting picks. It's the great coverage AND the turnovers. That's the part most people overlook.

Carson

Reaction score
Revis was also getting picks. It's the great coverage AND the turnovers. That's the part most people overlook.

THIS.

Bad comparison.

Revis had 29 career picks. By season 5 ... I know Jones played safety some but in their first few seasons

Revis - 3,5,6,0, 4 = 18

Jones - 0,1,1,0,0 = 2

Jones picks were both easy picks. One was a give up Hail Mary, the other was a deflection that bounced to him that he scored on when the game was over.

I like Jones a lot and wish we found a way to resign him. But the comparison is pretty flawed

Verdict

Reaction score
Then he’s probably gone. Rather than let him test free agency when it starts I would let him speak with other teams now, find out his worth and then see if I could bring him back on a favorable contract before free agency starts.

Carson

Reaction score
Then he’s probably gone. Rather than let him test free agency when it starts I would let him speak with other teams now, find out his worth and then see if I could bring him back on a favorable contract before free agency starts.

Oh he’s gone.

Eagles, Broncos, Commanders or Raiders or going to pay this man lol. He’s on a one way flight out of Dallas

Verdict

Reaction score
I dont get blaming Richard. Seattle corners played the ball, these guys we have (aside from Lewis) just have no instinctive nose for the football and trying to make plays.

Your theory would appear more sound if we hadn’t seen the same story here about lack of CB ball skills since before the Campo days.

The Natural

Reaction score
Your theory would appear more sound if we hadn’t seen the same story here about lack of CB ball skills since before the Campo days.
My "theory" is that Kris Richard had nothing to do with the piss poor secondary play, which you just validated.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He'll end up in Philly.

Aikman said it best. No one scared to throw at Jones because he doenst pick the ball off. Aikman said he never worried about those guys. Its only the guys that make you pay. So Jones has been good in coverage, but no one is worried about him from the DC to the QB, to the WR he is covering.

Let the Eagles overpay for a guy like that. I have also seen Jones get burnt plenty over the last two years. The guy isnt some all world coverage guy.

Sandyf

Reaction score
We are soon going to find out who the Cowboys value and who they do not. Will we franchise Dak or sign him before March 12th? Will be resign Cooper before March 12th? Will we let Jones walk? Will we let Quinn walk? Etc.,etc. If the CBA passes before March 12th then many items fall into place. Supposedly the NFLPA will allow voting on the CBA as early as Wednesday March 4th and if so then by the end of the week we should know if it passes or not.

As to money to sign all of those we want signed, it is there. Sure they will be restructures and cuts to get more money if they want it but they can sign any of those guys they want because Stephen knows how to structure contracts to lessen cap hits early in the contract. And remember with a new CBA, the cap will have a much larger number in 2021 and 2022.

Also, as Cowboy Fans, we worry about our team and players but if anyone has taken not, no team has really resigned any of the guys they want to keep either. All teams are waiting for the new CBA to pass or not pass. Sure to be one heck of a few days of signings coming up.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cern that is true we all do it. I don't think anyone is for signing Jones over Cooper. In my defense on the Prescott/Cooper thing is that I'm generally taking the side of what Jerry, Stephen and McCarthy have said so I do have that on my side.
Having anything said by the Joneses on your side isn't a good thing.