Twitter: Cowboys will talk with Dez Bryant

Proof

Reaction score
When has the Cowboys used the media to manipulate any contract? If anything Jerry has said a couple of times he hopes that Bryant is here this season. The only thing Stephen did was answer a question asked point blank to him which he said that he will sit down with Bryant and discuss his contract.

There's been multiple, separate statements by Stephen over the past month. It's very obvious what he's been doing

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
An extension will guarantee to add some dead money in a year, 2 at the max. It will ether be take a pay cut, release him or they will eat the 16.5 mil for this season. I'm hoping that Bryant sees the additions at receiver as a little more than just some competition for the #2 receiver but as possible scenario to release him. He has said he hopes to play his entire career in Dallas so we will see if the additions and his wanting to play here for life will get him to take a pay cut. Personally based on his downward trend and to get 8.5 mil on the cap I hope they just release him. He's not an elite receiver anymore, not for a few years so the Cowboys really aren't losing a legit #1 if they release him.

I have to disagree. I think it hurts the team on the field more than it helps them financially for a release at this point. And I think everyone realizes that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I feel the same way.

That's why I expect that they'll play with some money so everybody can't feel good and like they "won" something.
Yep. Dez will take a little less and or restructure. Get credit for taking one for the team and Jethro and Son will claim they negotiated a better deal.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I have to disagree. I think it hurts the team on the field more than it helps them financially for a release at this point. And I think everyone realizes that.
Right. Can we really afford to lose any elite talent on this roster?

It might be different if we knew what that savings was going to add to the roster.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right. Can we really afford to lose any elite talent on this roster?

It might be different if we knew what that savings was going to add to the roster.

Yeah, if they were going to "talk", or try to force him to accept anything, I think it made more sense to have done it months ago when you might have been able to sign someone capable of replacing him. Those guys are all signed already, so you'd be taking a step backwards from a talent perspective.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones hopes to meet with Dez Bryant in the next week or so regarding the wide receiver’s contract but nothing has been formally set. Jones said the conversation will be “straight forward, candid.” Bryant is set to make $12.5 million in 2018 and the Cowboys recently signed Allen Hurns and Deonte Thompson. “I think that these two guys that we signed and what we might look at in the draft, at any level of the draft, plus what we might get worked out with Dez, gives us a good looking receiver outlook,” Jones said.

i
Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

phildadon86

Reaction score
Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones hopes to meet with Dez Bryant in the next week or so regarding the wide receiver’s contract but nothing has been formally set. Jones said the conversation will be “straight forward, candid.” Bryant is set to make $12.5 million in 2018 and the Cowboys recently signed Allen Hurns and Deonte Thompson. “I think that these two guys that we signed and what we might look at in the draft, at any level of the draft, plus what we might get worked out with Dez, gives us a good looking receiver outlook,” Jones said.

i
Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer
So we are going WR at 19. Thanks Jerry

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Having a top notch safety would help more than what Dez brings.

Mark this. If Hurns stays healthy he will out perform Dez. And that's even if Dez IS here. Hurns in the number 1 role will give us a 1000 yard reciever.

So no, not everyone realizes it.

stiletto

Reaction score
How about a Release and offer him a sane incentive based deal immediately, so he has a chance to prove what he keeps saying?....if someone beats it then so be it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Having a top notch safety would help more than what Dez brings.

Mark this. If Hurns stays healthy he will out perform Dez. And that's even if Dez IS here. Hurns in the number 1 role will give us a 1000 yard reciever.

So no, not everyone realizes it.

Your opinion on the matter is duly noted. I'll whole-heartedly disagree but I'll have no problem saying that yiu were right and I was wrong should your claim come to pass. Either way, things should be good for the Cowboys and that's what we all want after all.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Your opinion on the matter is duly noted. I'll whole-heartedly disagree but I'll have no problem saying that yiu were right and I was wrong should your claim come to pass. Either way, things should be good for the Cowboys and that's what we all want after all.
Even an off 2 years for Dez he out performed the rest of our recieving corp with over 1600 yards and 14 TD’s.

We don’t have any other big play recievers . Even in 2016 when Beasley took in 25 more catches he had 3 less TD, only 37 more yards.

So while Dez production has been down and doesn’t warrant his current contract. He’s still the man on this roster . And I’d like to think our FO recognizes this.

Verdict

Reaction score
I feel the same. Originally, Dez flatly indicated he wouldn't settle for a pay cut, period. He now seems less opposed to it. I think he'll take less. In fact, I even heard him mention that possibility publicly for the media a couple of weeks ago.

How much that might lighten the cap for the Cowboys is probably anyone's guess. Anyhow, with Hurns and Thompson signed, the FO s/b in much better position to negotiate with that additional talent leverage on their side now.

When did Dez say that. I missed that.

Verdict

Reaction score
We have those types of guys but out wide a guy like Dez who can make big plays down the sideline to stretch the defense is also needed.

We do need to decompress the field more so a real threat to compliment everything we do would be nice.

I'm just not worried about it. As long as we run the ball more then any other team and have a scheme that doesn't try to get players in YAC situations then I just don't care a lot about the position.
Oh no you didn't!!!! You didn't just use the words "Dez" and "big plays" in the same sentence!!!

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Having an over paid Dez is not good for the team. But Go Cowboys!!!

dallasdave

Reaction score
About 2 or 3 weeks ago, he briefly brought up the possibility of taking less but didn't really dwell on it for more than a moment. It was like an afterthought.
Just don't extend him !!! His contract is in last 2 years and need to keep future open and hope can produce in the present.