Twitter: Cowboys will talk with Dez Bryant

Hoofbite

Reaction score
This should have happened a month or two ago.

May as well be begging at this point.

waving monkey

Reaction score
The new F.A. WR contracts would seem to have a bearing. They'll talk but I think what ever the two parties decide Dez will play
for the Dallas Cowboys next year. My guess is Dez will have a chip on his shoulder and play better.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I hope he stands his ground to and I hope, Stephen or Jerry, cuts him and we take the savings and pickup a solid LB or DT in FA. This team has focused on the O for years, it’s about time to focus on the D!!

They have spent plenty of resources on defense. They just make bad decisions.

Hardy, McClain, Gregory, Byron jones, Claiborne, Jaylon smith.

They simply are not as good at evaluating defensive players. It appears they missed again on taco when they should have taken watt. I am scared they blow the first two picks this year yet again on misses on defense.

At least they are very good at identifying offensive players.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
In that players are selfish for wanting the money owed them in a contract. This isn’t mlb or nba where contracts are guaranteed and handed out like candy. Obvi

Other players take substantial pay cuts, especially when they've been paid like a g.o.a.t. player for several years, despite playing average at best. There's no reason why Dez can't also, if he has any inclination to be reasonable. I doubt he'd get another contract like that from another team. They know better.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Other players take substantial pay cuts, especially when they've been paid like a g.o.a.t. player for several years, despite playing average at best. There's no reason why Dez can't also, if he has any inclination to be reasonable. I doubt he'd get another contract like that from another team. They know better.

Why would he take a paycut when over the past week the WR market has proven he isn’t being overpaid? Watkins was paid a ridiculous contract and Dez has a far superior resume.

Posters keep saying he’s overpaid but this year’s F/A period has debunked that IMHO.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I hope he stands his ground to and I hope, Stephen or Jerry, cuts him and we take the savings and pickup a solid LB or DT in FA. This team has focused on the O for years, it’s about time to focus on the D!!
By that time Kyle Wilber will be available again...

DCboyz5x

Reaction score
I’m thinking they are going to draft Ridley in the 1st and if they do, then the “time will be right” to have that discussion because they have backup plans in Ridley and Hurns

Proof

Reaction score

Players can do whatever they feel, my issue though is that if they don't it's not selfish or unreasonable. You sign a contract you get the money. You'll have to give me a supporting example though that's comparable.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Players can do whatever they feel, my issue though is that if they don't it's not selfish or unreasonable. You sign a contract you get the money. You'll have to give me a supporting example though that's comparable.

If Dez wants to continue to play for Dallas, he'll take the pay cut. Recently, DeMarcus Ware went public in saying so. Doug Free took a tremendous pay cut a while back, acknowledging the disparity between his performance and what he got. Players must be accountable for their performance, especially if it's obviously poor or even average as compared to the salary that was granted in good faith for ongoing strong performances.

I think Dez will accept a pay cut, although it's fairly questionable if it will be as much as Stephen anticipates. They'll probably both compromise some when push comes to shove. That's what happens more often than not when both sides present a reasonably strong case in negotiations.

Last edited:

Proof

Reaction score
If Dez wants to continue to play for Dallas, he'll take the pay cut. Recently, DeMarcus Ware went public in saying so. Doug Free took a tremendous pay cut a while back, acknowledging the disparity between his performance and what he got. Players must be accountable for their performance, especially if it's obviously average as compared to the salary that was granted in good faith for ongoing strong performances.

I think Dez will accept a pay cut, although it's fairly questionable if it will be as much as Stephen anticipates. They'll probably both compromise some when push comes to shove. That's what happens more often than not when both sides present a reasonably strong case in negotiations.

LOL

I said comparable. Free cashed in similar to Tyrone Crawford. They overpaid and used a small sample to project and it backfired. Dez at the very least has been an elite player in his career and has shown he can still be that guy with Dak. The point was leverage, the cowboys have none because if he’s cut then he’ll go elsewhere and get paid. It is what it is. But yes if he wants to finish his career here, some mutual agreement will likely need to be reached. It’s not unselfish if he doesn’t though, by any stretch. Lol @ Doug Free. Guy knew given his play sandwiched between all pros being so poor he’d be out on the street if he didn’t agree.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
LOL

I said comparable. Free cashed in similar to Tyrone Crawford. They overpaid and used a small sample to project and it backfired. Dez at the very least has been an elite player in his career and has shown he can still be that guy with Dak. The point was leverage, the cowboys have none because if he’s cut then he’ll go elsewhere and get paid. It is what it is. But yes if he wants to finish his career here, some mutual agreement will likely need to be reached. It’s not unselfish if he doesn’t though, by any stretch. Lol @ Doug Free. Guy knew given his play sandwiched between all pros being so poor he’d be out on the street if he didn’t agree.

They both were average and highly inconsistent in their performance. Dez still gets credit for what he once was. That's the biggest difference to those who are impartial. Dez is overrated on this website by many, while Free was routinely undervalued by many. They both deserved a lesser percentage of what they actually earned.

Like I said earlier, I think both parties will compromise and come together to agree on a lesser amount than now exists. I'm not altogether certain we'll keep Dez in tow, although the FO would likely prefer doing so to maximize their options when the season comes calling.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
Loved Dez back in the day...but I'm reading him right now if I am Jerry

Hes obviously not someone we cant win without anymore

Proof

Reaction score
They both were average and highly inconsistent in their performance. Dez still gets credit for what he once was. That's the biggest difference to those who are impartial. Dez is overrated on this website by many, while Free was routinely undervalued by many. They both deserved a lesser percentage of what they actually earned.

Like I said earlier, I think both parties will compromise and come together to agree on a lesser amount than now exists. I'm not altogether certain we'll keep Dez in tow, although the FO would likely prefer doing so to maximize their options when the season comes calling.

nah. that's not the case and you're not impartial. but we can agree to disagree. point is nothing is unselfish about not taking a pay cut on a contract you signed. and only in the nfl is it an issue and it's due to the owners really bamboozling fans into taking up their fight. sad really

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
nah. that's not the case and you're not impartial. but we can agree to disagree. point is nothing is unselfish about not taking a pay cut on a contract you signed. and only in the nfl is it an issue and it's due to the owners really bamboozling fans into taking up their fight. sad really

Perhaps it's you who's being partial and won't admit it. Anyhow, there's nothing wrong with us disagreeing on a subject that has proven highly controversial to begin with. We'll be sitting by, watching and following the negotiations, I'm sure. Let's hope whatever happens is for the good of the team, which is what bargaining is all about anyway. I'm all for what's best for the team, one way or the other and I'm sure you are too. Let's keep up with this and hope for whatever works out best for both parties and the team. Nobody is doing anything rotton or dirty here -- it's simply business, nothing more.

Last edited:

Proof

Reaction score
Perhaps it's you who's being partial and won't admit it. Anyhow, there's nothing wrong with us disagreeing on a subject that has proven highly controversial to begin with. We'll be sitting by, watching and following the negotiations, I'm sure. Let's hope whatever happens is for the good of the team, which is what bargaining is all about anyway. I'm all for what's best for the team, one way or the other and I'm sure you are too. Let's keep up with this and hope for whatever works out best for both parties and the team. Nobody is doing anything rotton or dirty here -- it's simply business, nothing more.

i'm definitely not impartial. at all, i make no bones about it lol. i definitely want what's best for the team as i'm a fan, i just hate when the narrative shifts to being selfish. i hope they agree to something amicable, but if they don't i won't have any negative feelings towards dez, and if the team moves on from him i won't have any negative feelings towards them. i dislike when teams use the media and the public to pressure guys into doing things. the patriots are cold and calculated and they move with indifference as they see best fit, i admire that. i don't admire pulling fans into the fray

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
i'm definitely not impartial. at all, i make no bones about it lol. i definitely want what's best for the team as i'm a fan, i just hate when the narrative shifts to being selfish. i hope they agree to something amicable, but if they don't i won't have any negative feelings towards dez, and if the team moves on from him i won't have any negative feelings towards them. i dislike when teams use the media and the public to pressure guys into doing things. the patriots are cold and calculated and they move with indifference as they see best fit, i admire that. i don't admire pulling fans into the fray

I get what you're saying but fans are going to get into the fray, regardless of what the FO does. Stephen obviously felt desperate to get relief from the financial restrictions that Dez's currently overly generous contract saddled them with. In retrospect, the FO had much to do with that contract being considerably more than what they were contractually bound to honor. Unfortunate. Both sides will be taking a perfectly legal process to arrive at an agreement they can live with and could hopefully be beneficial to both parties. Here's hoping it serves them well.

Last edited:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I think they can compromise and do an extension that satisfies both parties.

An extension will guarantee to add some dead money in a year, 2 at the max. It will ether be take a pay cut, release him or they will eat the 16.5 mil for this season. I'm hoping that Bryant sees the additions at receiver as a little more than just some competition for the #2 receiver but as possible scenario to release him. He has said he hopes to play his entire career in Dallas so we will see if the additions and his wanting to play here for life will get him to take a pay cut. Personally based on his downward trend and to get 8.5 mil on the cap I hope they just release him. He's not an elite receiver anymore, not for a few years so the Cowboys really aren't losing a legit #1 if they release him.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

When has the Cowboys used the media to manipulate any contract? If anything Jerry has said a couple of times he hopes that Bryant is here this season. The only thing Stephen did was answer a question asked point blank to him which he said that he will sit down with Bryant and discuss his contract.