Cowboys win Division Potential Path

Sydla

Reaction score
Having seen the Giants play the Pats, I am not sure the Giants could beat a top 20 NFL team even on an off day. If the Cowboys and Eagles have the same record it is VERY likely the Eagles take the division. The only path to realistically winning the division is to have a better record which means the Eagles lose to 49ers, Cowboys, and Seahawks and then the Cowboys win out.
Again, if the Eagles lose to us, the 49ers and Seattle, we can lose to Detroit (only Detroit) and still win the division.

rambo2

Reaction score
You can think what you want but there is literally a better chance of Jerry Jones firing McCarthy and coaching the team himself over the next few weeks than of the Eagles losing to the Giants while fighting for the #1 seed.

The Eagles are 21-6 against the Giants since 2010. And 11-2 against them since 2017. It ain't happening.
I suspect that the Eagles will have 3 or 4 losses before the end of the season.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Go 6-1 rest of way. Loss cannot be to Commanders.

49ers beat Philly
Beat Philly
Giants Beat Philly

Cowboys win tiebreaker based on division record
Going 6-1 and beating Phily and I will ride it out from there and happy also.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With the current tie breakers the way they are going. We will need to finish 1 game ahead of Philly.
We would need to win out, and they lose to SF, us, and drop a game against NY or Arizona. Doubt that happens in their last 3 games.

I have hope for the division, but prepared to play at Atlanta or NO, heck even TB again. Prefer at TB or Atlanta over NO.

Sydla

Reaction score
With the current tie breakers the way they are going. We will need to finish 1 game ahead of Philly.
We would need to win out, and they lose to SF, us, and drop a game against NY or Arizona. Doubt that happens in their last 3 games.

I have hope for the division, but prepared to play at Atlanta or NO, heck even TB again. Prefer at TB or Atlanta over NO.
Again, this isn't exactly true.

There is a scenario that doesn't involve a total miracle, where Philly loses to an awful Giants team or terrible Cards team, where we can win the division and finish with the same record as Philly. Sure, it's not very likely either but we can win the division if Philly loses to us, the 49ers and then a road game at Seattle and all we would need to do is just hold serve the rest of the year except the Lions game. In that scenario, we'd have the same overall record but we'd win the common games tiebreaker.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again, this isn't exactly true.

There is a scenario that doesn't involve a total miracle, where Philly loses to an awful Giants team or terrible Cards team, where we can win the division and finish with the same record as Philly. Sure, it's not very likely either but we can win the division if Philly loses to us, the 49ers and then a road game at Seattle and all we would need to do is just hold serve the rest of the year except the Lions game. In that scenario, we'd have the same overall record but we'd win the common games tiebreaker.
Oh yeah, I forgot about Philly going to Seattle.
I did not look at the common games scenario either. I thought about it, but did not look.

Sydla

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I forgot about Philly going to Seattle.
I did not look at the common games scenario either. I thought about it, but did not look.
As I said, people sometimes forget or assume that the tiebreakers after divisional record is the conference record but that's actually 4th behind common games (that may have even changed years ago as I once though conference record was the 3rd tiebreaker).

Again, it's all unlikely. Even this scenario is unlikely as it would require Philly to lose 3 in a row (49ers, us, Seattle). How likely is that to happen?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As I said, people sometimes forget or assume that the tiebreakers after divisional record is the conference record but that's actually 4th behind common games (that may have even changed years ago as I once though conference record was the 3rd tiebreaker).

Again, it's all unlikely. Even this scenario is unlikely as it would require Philly to lose 3 in a row (49ers, us, Seattle). How likely is that to happen?
Yes I believe in the 70's and 80's it was conference record. Not sure when it changed to common games before conference.

Maybe when they went to 4 divisions from 3.

Chasing6

Reaction score
We don't have to win out if the Eagles lose to the 49ers, us and the Seahawks. We can lose one specific game - Detroit.
Wouldn't they still have the better Conference record???

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
This can happen. Why are we talking about the Eagles like they are some invincible juggernaut?

If the Patriots and Cowboys convert late goal-to-go drives; if the Commanders don't blow late leads against them TWICE, if the Chiefs don't drop a TD pass, and if referee Shaun Hochuli wasn't a life long Eagles fan (yes, look it up) and the Bills don't get screwed, the 10-1 Eagles are.....4-7.

The only teams they beat convincingly are the Bucs and Dolphins. And before we say Dallas lost to Arizona, let's not forget Philly managed to lose to Zach Wilson and the Jets.

Sydla

Reaction score
Wouldn't they still have the better Conference record???
Conference record is the 4th tiebreaker.

1) Head to head
2) Divisional record
3) Record in common games
4) Conference record

Under the scenario I stated, the Cowboys would have the better record in common games so conference record wouldnt' matter.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
If we win out and are peaking going into the playoffs, give me whatever seed and we are in good shape.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Hanging your hopes on the Giants beating Philly is a tough place to be.
Asking the Gnats to beat anybody is a tall order. I know they won last weekend but they are not very good. The only way the giants win is if they have like 8 turnovers against Philly.

Sorry but the eagles are just to good. The only way they lose the division is if someone major, (you know who I mean), gets injuried.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
It's over. Philly might even beat SF to officially end this on Sunday. The Giants will be in full tank mode in December

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Assuming Dallas takes care of business, the only real hope is Philly losing in Seattle. Losing to SF, Dallas and Seattle would put them at 13-4. That part is realistic……..