Cowboys win if teams switch coaching staffs

Pass2Run

Reaction score
If the Rams and Cowboys had switched coaching staffs in March, the Cowboys would win the game.

OLine
I'll take the Cowboys players.

The individual players on the Rams OLine are OK but several of them struggled in the past with other coaches.

WR
Aikman loves the Rams WRs but he loves Amari Cooper even more and Aikman was one of the most critical QBs in regards to his expectations of WRs that I've ever seen. I saw him in training camp berating Kevin Williams for being 1 foot off from his expected break spot.

TE
Is Tyler Higbee as great player?

RB
Zeke in that scheme would have had 400 yards against the Cowboys DLine scheme.

QB
Dak did more with far far inferior coaching/scheme. The Rams coaches would exploit defenses with the threat of Dak running and would probably have better plays when he rolls out.

DLine
This is where the Rams clearly have more talent. Suh and Donald; however, the Cowboys DLine had a decent year but struggled with the Rams blocking and misdirection offensive scheme. Apparently, the Rams coaches also spent enough time review film to know all of the Cowboys DLine tendencies.

LBs
I'll take the Cowboys players but they can't do much when the DLine is getting gashed due to being out schemed.

CBs

Safety
The Rams Safeties don't seem that great. I'll give them a slight nod over the Cowboys Safeties especially with Heath playing with 1 hand (Is his wrist straining or broken?).

Summary: Only Kris Richard gets a pass from me. The coverage was much improved this season and decent in the Rams game until they DBs had to start cheating up against the run because the DLine was getting gashed.

100% agree.

dckid

Reaction score
Would you honestly accept the answer that Garrett would win? Would others?

Look beyond the HC's, and look at the rosters and the OC's and DC's
Sometimes it is not all on the HC.

Of course I would, but the proof is actually in the results and the process. What does Jason Garrett do? He has stopped clapping and spitting recently so i guess that is progress.
McVay was literally laughing at us this game. The Rams embarrassed up. The one time they punted, they put together a whole charade of faking it, calling a TO and then finally punting it. They Rammed!! (sorry for the pun) down our throats. I really think this could have been a Nebraska 550 yard Tom Osbourne type of game.
Yes the players have to play, but it's on the coaches to put the players in an advantageous situation. Just like Jerry, I have seen 3 SB championships, high school into college. Still got my banners, flags and tshirts/ sweatshirts. I do not have any expectation of winning or reaching a SB anytime soon.
The definition of insanity is where I have come to accept this team. JG plays checkers while the great coaches are playing chess and this is not even an accurate statement. JG is more likely playing Peek a Boo.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Surely Stephen realizes that the only thing keeping this team down the last three years is the coordinators. The problem, Jerry gets too close to people, likes to walk around like the HC and give his 2 cents.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yup ive heard from those that broke down the game, too much nickel was an issue but not the main issue with our D,

The rams Zone blocking scheme needs a heavy dose of Man Defense, the Cowboys decided to go heavy on the switching and stunts which is NOT the way you play a zone run team especially one that had 3 weeks to develop a new scheme.. the stunts and twists made normal gaps twice as huge , the defense basically played the worst possible schemes you can use in the Zone run game, Nickel and stunts, twists etc not near enough man..

How can RM and KR plus the rest of the staff not see this early on like long before the 17 point 2nd quarter disaster? they may have not expected it but why did they not adjust? dont say they cant or dont because this year they dispelled this Myth as they were great 2nd half and OT team particularly in the 4th qtr where they made many comebacks, we actually won the 2nd half this game technically points wise but didnt have enough time left to comeback..for some reason after year where they played great run defense and bent but didnt break and no one scored 30 on them, had mental ;lapse the size of TX its self, apparently it stretched over in Cali..

Im sure if they had redo this wouldn't happen again but in the playoffs they didnt have 2nd chance :) :banghead:we dont need another coaching staff, just this one to learn from there gaff and get better.:thumbdown:

It was a good story that Kris Richard started calling plays at some point during the season; however, anytime you have that type of situation where the play-caller is NOT really the boss, then you tend to lose something in the cracks between responsibilities and authority. Marinelli loves Stunts. He runs them more than any DC or DL coach that I've seen. He prefer Stunts as a replacement for Blitzing. I'm surprised that other teams have not exploited it more before now. Most big runs plays to the inside that you've seen in the past against this defense were due to Stunting DL being out of place. I'm fairly certain that Marinelli retained his DLine scheme despite Kris Richard calling the plays. Richard can't call what the DLine doesn't really practice.

The great LBs are dependent on the DL. If there is an "extra" OLinemen at the 2nd level on every play, the LBs will struggle. If a 320 pound OL has good position, a 250 pound LB is limited in regards to getting around him on every run play.

The Cam Cameron videos are actually quite awesome; although real coach-speak can be a bit laborious for the listener.

Marinelli has a world of knowledge; however, young coaches (and Belichick) work 18 hours a day to find small advantages against the opponent and I don't think Marinelli can do that at his age.

It was not just the Stunts. The DTs are OK but lack a dominant type player. The Rams have two with Suh and Donald (Donald is technically a 3-4 DE but Wade's 3-4 is very very similar to some 4-3 defenses).

Suh made 14M in 2018 and Donald averages 22.5M per year. All 4 of the Cowboys DTs that played in the Rams game make about 8M total with 6M of that for Crawford; whose best position is Strong Side DE.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
This is the opposite of a hate thread.

My point is that the Cowboys have better players than the Rams and the scouting dept. is now a strength of the team.

Coaches are by far the easiest thing to replace on an NFL team.

Your last statement is true. Coaches are the easiest to replace in any sport. That doesn't mean the team results change after the replacement. Look at NFL teams who changed HC's in 2017 and their record in 2018. More of the same results than improved. We can keep an eye out on the teams that have changed this year too. show me the ones who have changed based on a 3 year record of 32-16. Not saying we shouldn't change HC's just be wary of the expectations because some don't live up to the expectation.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Surely Stephen realizes that the only thing keeping this team down the last three years is the coordinators. The problem, Jerry gets too close to people, likes to walk around like the HC and give his 2 cents.

It appears that Stephen has been making the real team decisions in the past few years. The last time he was over-ruled by Jerry on a significant decision appears to have been when they gave Dez the big contract.

Some of the ones where Jerry and Stephen clearly expressed opposite opinions to the local media:

Zack Martin over Manziel
Not trading up for QB Paxton Lynch.
Dak not running as much as possible.
Not spending big in Free Agency.
Less Garrett involvement in the offensive scheme.
Several other smaller issues.

Macnalty

Reaction score
If the Rams and Cowboys had switched coaching staffs in March, the Cowboys would win the game.

OLine

The individual players on the Rams OLine are OK but several of them struggled in the past with other coaches.

WR
Aikman loves the Rams WRs but he loves Amari Cooper even more and Aikman was one of the most critical QBs in regards to his expectations of WRs that I've ever seen. I saw him in training camp berating Kevin Williams for being 1 foot off from his expected break spot.

TE
Is Tyler Higbee as great player?

RB
Zeke in that scheme would have had 400 yards against the Cowboys DLine scheme.

QB
Dak did more with far far inferior coaching/scheme. The Rams coaches would exploit defenses with the threat of Dak running and would probably have better plays when he rolls out.

DLine
This is where the Rams clearly have more talent. Suh and Donald; however, the Cowboys DLine had a decent year but struggled with the Rams blocking and misdirection offensive scheme. Apparently, the Rams coaches also spent enough time review film to know all of the Cowboys DLine tendencies.

LBs
I'll take the Cowboys players but they can't do much when the DLine is getting gashed due to being out schemed.

CBs

Safety
The Rams Safeties don't seem that great. I'll give them a slight nod over the Cowboys Safeties especially with Heath playing with 1 hand (Is his wrist straining or broken?).

Summary: Only Kris Richard gets a pass from me. The coverage was much improved this season and decent in the Rams game until they DBs had to start cheating up against the run because the DLine was getting gashed.

I have said this in other posts so excuse my frustration.
I think its safe to say that Garrett's biggest influence on his offensive philosophy is Norv Turner. Yet Norv was able to design and implement a scheme that fused his Coryell based attack with what Cam Newton does well. Cam was having a great season until he got injured. So if Norv Turner can modify and evolve his scheme to fit his personnel then I see absolutely no f******* excuse for Garrett (forgive my presidential tone). If I am Jerry I am telling the coach design an offense that fits Dak or I will find someone that will...

They can't run a scheme that is based on having the best OL in football. Even if they have the best personnel that's not accounting for injuries and regression. I think the roster is good enough and the coaches are squandering it.

Ok, rant over
1f609

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your last statement is true. Coaches are the easiest to replace in any sport. That doesn't mean the team results change after the replacement. Look at NFL teams who changed HC's in 2017 and their record in 2018. More of the same results than improved. We can keep an eye out on the teams that have changed this year too. show me the ones who have changed based on a 3 year record of 32-16. Not saying we shouldn't change HC's just be wary of the expectations because some don't live up to the expectation.

I think the Joneses were correct in staying with Garrett for some number of years and not constantly swapping out coaches.

Having said that, Garrett has now been in place an long time for a HC that has not gotten to the NFC championship game.

If they could find a great O-Coordinator and D-Coordinator without making one of them the HC, then I'm OK with that; however, it seems that it's difficult to get the best coaching minds without hiring one of them as the HC.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have said this in other posts so excuse my frustration.
I think its safe to say that Garrett's biggest influence on his offensive philosophy is Norv Turner. Yet Norv was able to design and implement a scheme that fused his Coryell based attack with what Cam Newton does well. Cam was having a great season until he got injured. So if Norv Turner can modify and evolve his scheme to fit his personnel then I see absolutely no f******* excuse for Garrett (forgive my presidential tone). If I am Jerry I am telling the coach design an offense that fits Dak or I will find someone that will...

They can't run a scheme that is based on having the best OL in football. Even if they have the best personnel that's not accounting for injuries and regression. I think the roster is good enough and the coaches are squandering it.

Ok, rant over
1f609

Injury risk is a huge concern with running QBs. Having said that, Dak's ability to run could be a much bigger factor (IMO) without actually having him run more often. Most of the option plays the Cowboys run are very predictable. I get the feeling that the Rams coaches would keep defensive players head spinning with what they could do with Dak's threat to run.

My biggest frustration is that there is NO salary cap on coaches and Jerry has plenty of real dollars. They should have the very best coaches that money can buy...When Belichicks contract is up, Jerry should offer him a contract with a 100M bonus for winning the Super Bowl...

Plankton

Reaction score
Right !!

The NFL is a talent driven league. There’s a reason no HC has ever won a championship for another team. And that list begins with Lombardi.

Weeb Ewbank won NFL titles with the Colts in 1958 and 1959 and then a Super Bowl with the Jets in 1968.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
OK, but the real skinny is we have CLAPPER and vanillahan... nuff said....... oh did I mention these 2 genusis will be BACK to screw us another year in mediocre, same o same o game schemeing! ...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Weeb Ewbank won NFL titles with the Colts in 1958 and 1959 and then a Super Bowl with the Jets in 1968.
Correct. I meant to state no one has ever repeated Super Bowl championship with another team. But respectfully Weeb is the only to accomplish that feat.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Cowboys win if we switch DTs.

Collins must have been banged up because Caraun Reid played a lot and my God was he awful. Keep drafting herds of D linemen. You need your best depth in the trenches because those guys brawl every play and will eventually get banged up, its not a question of if but when. Get another Collins type in the third round. Draft another DE later. Keep reinforcing. Oh btw screw you David Irving, Would have been real nice to have you on the field over Caraun Reid.

Preach on, bruthu.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Yes, I thought about that when creating this thread.

I have often defended Garrett to some extent in that he is a much better Head Coach than Wade Phillips because the team does play hard and does have decent discipline which was not the case with Wade as HC. Wade himself said Garrett has been a better HC than he was; however, at some point Garrett has to poop or get off the pot. The talent level is now very good.

We saw this season what true NFL caliber coaching can do (Kris Richard).

I would be OK with Garrett as HC; however, in the modern NFL in order to get both a quality O-Coordinator and D-Coordinator, it's very difficult to make those hires if one of them is not the Head Coach.

You don't get Sean McVay by offering him an OC position. The Rams had to make him the HC. Arizona was so desperate to have an OC that they hired Kliff Kingsbury as their HC.

It appears that Garrett will stay in place; although, I'm curious if he actually gets the extension. I could see Stephen Jones managing to delay the extension.

I don't keep up with all of the college coaches or NFL OCs but if the team could keep him out of the draft room, Josh McDaniels would be a safe option as a HC. They get receivers open without having to pay a Kings ransom to get Super Star WRs. They've rarely had elite RBs over the years and they tend to mix in 1 or 2 elite OLinemen with 3 or 4 very average players.

I assume the Kris Richard will eventually get a HC position somewhere; however, it would be tempting to take big money to become and remain the DC. The probability of failure is high for 1st time NFL HCs because they are normally going to bad teams. If Richard has kids, the moving around every few years can be a big strain on a family.

That would work -- Daniels as OC and Richard as DC, with JG as the administrative HC.

Jerry may actually be waiting for the Pats to be done, then throw the checkbook at Josh.

Macnalty

Reaction score
Injury risk is a huge concern with running QBs. Having said that, Dak's ability to run could be a much bigger factor (IMO) without actually having him run more often. Most of the option plays the Cowboys run are very predictable. I get the feeling that the Rams coaches would keep defensive players head spinning with what they could do with Dak's threat to run.

My biggest frustration is that there is NO salary cap on coaches and Jerry has plenty of real dollars. They should have the very best coaches that money can buy...When Belichicks contract is up, Jerry should offer him a contract with a 100M bonus for winning the Super Bowl...
I have not reached that level for allowing Belichicks into the garden. I am very frustrated, we are not far from having a good team, and it is the coaches holding us back IMO. X we have some work to do in the draft zone this year, it is going to be a zoo figuring out who we like at the back of the second rd... I love this time of year.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have not reached that level for allowing Belichicks into the garden. I am very frustrated, we are not far from having a good team, and it is the coaches holding us back IMO. X we have some work to do in the draft zone this year, it is going to be a zoo figuring out who we like at the back of the second rd... I love this time of year.

More OTs in the draft please.

Macnalty

Reaction score
More OTs in the draft please.
No one likes it but this is a BPA slot, beggars cannot be choosers this year. We as a team can gain plenty with some internal scheme changes on offense which is nice to have with a compromised draft. We no longer have the best OL in the NFL and need to scheme to that concept or those that make the plan need to move on and stop being progress stoppers. We do have the best RB in the league IMO, although next year the giants will be in the conversation, maybe we should run a Zeke friendly offense...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No one likes it but this is a BPA slot, beggars cannot be choosers this year. We as a team can gain plenty with some internal scheme changes on offense which is nice to have with a compromised draft. We no longer have the best OL in the NFL and need to scheme to that concept or those that make the plan need to move on and stop being progress stoppers. We do have the best RB in the league IMO, although next year the giants will be in the conversation, maybe we should run a Zeke friendly offense...

Dak needs good pass protection more than Romo did. Dak wants to execute a game plan with good route running receivers; whereas, Romo liked to ad-lib and buy time for Dez to run around in circles until he got open.

Dak's stats are very good in games where the pass protection was good; however, his stats suffer significantly in games where the pass protection was not good (statistically not good).

The Cowboys offensive scheme is more run based than many which makes run blocking a premium as well.

Tyron has had injury issues for multiple season now and the team would have been doomed if the backup had to play too many games.

Connor Williams seemed to be much better at LG after he came back to the starting lineup late in the season; however, it really seems that swapping position between him and La'el should be a consideration. Williams best asset is his quick feet and La'el's best asset is power.

At a minimum, they should cross train Connor Williams as an OT in training camp in case they need an extra OT.

Macnalty

Reaction score
Dak needs good pass protection more than Romo did. Dak wants to execute a game plan with good route running receivers; whereas, Romo liked to ad-lib and buy time for Dez to run around in circles until he got open.

Dak's stats are very good in games where the pass protection was good; however, his stats suffer significantly in games where the pass protection was not good (statistically not good).

The Cowboys offensive scheme is more run based than many which makes run blocking a premium as well.

Tyron has had injury issues for multiple season now and the team would have been doomed if the backup had to play too many games.

Connor Williams seemed to be much better at LG after he came back to the starting lineup late in the season; however, it really seems that swapping position between him and La'el should be a consideration. Williams best asset is his quick feet and La'el's best asset is power.

At a minimum, they should cross train Connor Williams as an OT in training camp in case they need an extra OT.
Totally agree, now that we are getting a new OC I hope this year is not a learning year, as that would be another waste.