Cowboys win over Washington 3rd most watched regular season game ever

Motorola

Reaction score
Yes because it's a working day compared to a holiday. Compared to the American habit of watching football on Thanksgiving with their family while they toss the football around in their backyard.

The fact that there are more Cowboys fans than Chiefs fans (who are the equivalent of Warrior fans for the NBA while most of the country are 90s BULLs all the way)
The last remnants of the Bulls Mania shriveled up and disappeared long ago with their last heir apparent star going down with injuries throughout lhis time in Chicago (hometown product Derrick Rose).
The standard comparison for any NBA team to ascend to a great nationwide following WILL ALWAYS BE THE LAKERS.
Kudos to the Warriors - and before them the Heat; both squads achieved the Superstar following from the causal bandwagoning sports fans for 4 -5 seasons.
But the adulation for that team in tinsel town never, ever fades across the USA.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
Yes because it's a working day compared to a holiday. Compared to the American habit of watching football on Thanksgiving with their family while they toss the football around in their backyard.

The large Hispanic population of Cowboys fans who are now Thanksgiving consumers. Dolly Parton fans from the 70s and 80s. The fact that there are more Cowboys fans than Chiefs fans (who are the equivalent of Warrior fans for the NBA while most of the country are 90s Bulls all the way). And additionally way more than Eagles fans.

All those factors add up.
ESPN is a cable channel, CBS is a network channel. That's a key difference.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Money talks. The league and the owners are already seeing dollar signs. The ‘refs’ will ‘cooperate’ and make it happen. Bank on it.
Don't know. The league has known for years that the Cowboys are its biggest draw, but has done little to benefit our team's success. I've always thought the NFL should lean toward Dallas with officiating, if anything, but millionaires are a pretty petty bunch of people, as the Elliott six-game suspension showed.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
The last remnants of the Bulls Mania shriveled up and disappeared long ago with their last heir apparent star going down with injuries throughout lhis time in Chicago (hometown product Derrick Rose).
The standard comparison for any NBA team to ascend to a great nationwide following WILL ALWAYS BE THE LAKERS.
Kudos to the Warriors - and before them the Heat; both squads achieved the Superstar following from the causal bandwagoning sports fans for 4 -5 seasons.
But the adulation for that team in tinsel town never, ever fades across the USA.
Yes, the Bulls dynasty went away a long time ago. But I bet if you compare America's preference. 90s Bulls vs late 10s Warriors..... and if you poll all age groups.... the majority takes the 90s Bulls. If you poll 30 and under people only that's another story.

And yes, I do see some Heat fans around. I see some Spurs fans too, altho they don't wave their colors as incessantly as Heat fans, but they have cult-like tendencies. And the Lakers have different iterations. The Showtime Lakers were well before the Kobe Lakers and that was before the Lebron Lakers... altho that wasn't by as much time in between. NBA fans aren't like NFL fans... they tend to bandwagon and get stuck to a specific era. When the Showtimes Lakers faded, a lot of their fans never returned.

I don't know America's NBA team nowadays.... maybe the Lakers, maybe the Warriors, maybe the Heat, maybe the Spurs..... but I think the 90s Bulls are well ahead of the Warriors.... because everyone says they would crush the Warriors if they ever played, and that's including most of the NBA legends, the guys who know basketball.

But as I said.............when Jordan retired, I retired from the NBA so I'm not the best guy to ask on this.

Motorola

Reaction score
Yes, the Bulls dynasty went away a long time ago. But I bet if you compare America's preference. 90s Bulls vs late 10s Warriors..... and if you poll all age groups.... the majority takes the 90s Bulls. If you poll 30 and under people only that's another story.

And yes, I do see some Heat fans around. I see some Spurs fans too, altho they don't wave their colors as incessantly as Heat fans, but they have cult-like tendencies. And the Lakers have different iterations. The Showtime Lakers were well before the Kobe Lakers and that was before the Lebron Lakers... altho that wasn't by as much time in between. NBA fans aren't like NFL fans... they tend to bandwagon and get stuck to a specific era. When the Showtimes Lakers faded, a lot of their fans never returned.

I don't know America's NBA team nowadays.... maybe the Lakers, maybe the Warriors, maybe the Heat, maybe the Spurs..... but I think the 90s Bulls are well ahead of the Warriors.... because everyone says they would crush the Warriors if they ever played, and that's including most of the NBA legends, the guys who know basketball.

But as I said.............when Jordan retired, I retired from the NBA so I'm not the best guy to ask on this.
Let me put my observations versus yours another way about how our country views professional sports popularity:
Major League Baseball:
Last 5 World Series Winners
Rangers \ Astros \ Braves \ Dodgers \ Nationals...outside of their local-state-regional area - you see none of those teams' insignia being worn across the country compared to the Yankees - who's last AL Pennant + World Series titles will be 15 years ago this coming spring.
National Basketball Association:
Heat Hysteria was nearly everywhere when Lebron James was in Miami...in Atlanta, the Heat bandwagoners outnumbered the true Hawks fans Hawks 4-1.
But when James went back to the Cavaliers -- couldn't find anyone wearing a Heat jersey in the ATL.
Warriors' zealous following for nearly a decade (2015) --well deserved with the four titles --will wane once Steph Curry calls it a career.
And now - [ drumroll] to the National Football League.
Since the turn of the 21st century (over two decades ago), six franchises have not been in at least ONE conference title game:
Texans (never)
Lions
Dolphins
Browns
Commanders
Cowboys
BUT -- which team is by far and away the most popular-- nationwide (and worldwide) -- season after season -- despite no championship success for nearly three decades?
In summary -- Cowboys, Lakers, Yankees -- those three pro sports franchises will always be among this country's favorites.
Oh ...Mea culpa not including the Raiders in on being a pro sports team favorite across the country...although much of has to be with a number of hip-hop and rap artists - past and present- wearing the team's logo.

Last edited:

Mcsports

Reaction score

The large Hispanic population of Cowboys fans who are now Thanksgiving consumers. Dolly Parton fans from the 70s and 80s. The fact that there are more Cowboys fans than Chiefs fans (who are the equivalent of Warrior fans for the NBA while most of the country are 90s Bulls all the way). And additionally way more than Eagles fans.

All those factors add up.
That’s a pretty good synopsis

krs1bro

Reaction score
Love us or hate us, this franchise is the face of the NFL inspite of the current owners.......Go Cowboys!!!

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
I was happy to get through that waste of a team without getting anybody hurt.

Motorola

Reaction score
Love us or hate us, this franchise is the face of the NFL inspite of the CURRENT owners.......Go Cowboys!!!
Correcting your typo -
Permanent Cowboys Franchise Owners - the Jones Family.
Refer you to Halas, Mara, Rooney, Bidwell, Hunt, and Davis clans.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
While true, it still doesn't explain why this game outperformed other Dallas Thanksgiving games. Maybe it was the Dolly factor. Maybe it was the fact that Thanksgiving travel numbers were high this year with the pandemic in the rearview mirror. I don't know. I just wouldn't think Dallas-Washington in a year when Washington is bad would be the third-most-watched. Can think of several Dallas Thanksgiving games that were better matchups.
The Dolly halftime definitely had some play in it. Many people tuned in to see her performance, and didn't even care much about football in general. Just like people who watch the Super Bowl for the commercials and the halftime show.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
Don't know. The league has known for years that the Cowboys are its biggest draw, but has done little to benefit our team's success. I've always thought the NFL should lean toward Dallas with officiating, if anything, but millionaires are a pretty petty bunch of people, as the Elliott six-game suspension showed.
It makes sense to me. The Cowboys may have the largest fan base, they are also the most hated... the haters far exceed the fans so, many more tune in to see us lose than to see us win.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
"If" the league were to actually try to control the outcomes of games, it would benefit them for Dallas to remain competitive, but not go deep into the playoffs, because Dallas is always going to have a legion paying fans, whether they have postseason success or not.

That said, while some people subscribe to the theory that the NFL can legally script games because it's labeled as "entertainment" should consider this: Ever since it became legal to gamble on the NFL games, "fixing" games in any way (wins/losses, score differentials, or anything else people gamble on) would open the league up to individual and class action lawsuits. Also, I'm not a lawyer, but it seems like it would be illegal to do so for the same reasons.