Twitter: Cowboys working QB plan for Philly

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
All it would take to entice someone to possibly trade for Romo is for him to show he can still move around well. Jerry saying he fears playing Romo due to fear of injury is going to scare every team off. If you're another team hearing Jerry say that it makes you wonder if something isn't still wrong with Romo. The little practice video I've seen of Romo a few weeks ago he didn't appear to be moving very well.

He still looked like he was in discomfort when he moved around, he looked stiff. They showed him and Dak side by side throwing and moving around and it's easy to tell who the older QB is. I'm thinking the Cowboys have seen things in practice that have them so concerned they're afraid to give Romo a few live game snaps. I don't think they believe he can escape and avoid a pass rush and Philly can get after the QB.

Proximo

Reaction score
All it would take to entice someone to possibly trade for Romo is for him to show he can still move around well. Jerry saying he fears playing Romo due to fear of injury is going to scare every team off. If you're another team hearing Jerry say that it makes you wonder if something isn't still wrong with Romo. The little practice video I've seen of Romo a few weeks ago he didn't appear to be moving very well.

He still looked like he was in discomfort when he moved around, he looked stiff. They showed him and Dak side by side throwing and moving around and it's easy to tell who the older QB is. I'm thinking the Cowboys have seen things in practice that have them so concerned they're afraid to give Romo a few live game snaps. I don't think they believe he can escape and avoid a pass rush and Philly can get after the QB.

I have to disagree with this, based on the simple fact that for a number of weeks now we have dressed only 2 QB's; Dak and Romo.

This, to me, completely shuts down the speculation that something is legitimately wrong with Romo health-wise.

DFWJC

Reaction score
No team would ever trade for Romo without giving him an extremely thorough medical exam and a very intense workout.
That workout would test everything that he would show in a meaningless game in Philly--unless you want him on purpose to take a big hit...which would be dumb.

He moves better now than he did 3-4 years ago. The ONLY question is whether he can take sustained hits.

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
So, let me get this straight. Romo is supposedly healthy, and would replace Prescott in the event of injury, but he can't see the field during a meaningless game?

And, the Cowboys would rather that he potentially go into a playoff game not having seen a regular season snap since Thanksgiving, 2015?

For a team that made a number of sage personnel moves this year, this one boggles the mind.
IF it was me, and what do I know, I would give Dak a series or two with the starters. Let Romo play 2 quarters with starters, then put Sanchez in to finish. I want Dak to continue to prep to start but I would like Romo to get "some" action as well. But once again what do I know.

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
They don't want to put Romo behind the backup O Line with the eagles D line in pursuit. It's not ideal, but it makes sense.
with the team only carrying 7 O line on game day roster, there isn't a "back up O Line". This isn't preseason, on your regular season "game day" roster you don't carry a "back up" O line.

toto1939

Reaction score
OK...so here is the deal with Romo...

he doesn't get to play until the Super Bowl, when the Cowboys are up by 16 points with 30 seconds remaining and Jerry wants his son to at least get one memory of being in the Super Bowl.

...at which point, Romo throws a TD pick on a sideline route, Patriots get the 2pt conversion, get the onside kick, Brady throws a TD with another 2 pt conversion with 2 seconds left...and then Dallas loses in OT

Angus

Reaction score
So, let me get this straight. Romo is supposedly healthy, and would replace Prescott in the event of injury, but he can't see the field during a meaningless game?

And, the Cowboys would rather that he potentially go into a playoff game not having seen a regular season snap since Thanksgiving, 2015?

For a team that made a number of sage personnel moves this year, this one boggles the mind.

With Smith out of the game the possibility of a quarterback injury is greater than otherwise. No use possibly injuring Romo in a meaningless game if another quarterback is available to come in if necessary. If the title was on the line, it would be different.

Plankton

Reaction score
With Smith out of the game the possibility of a quarterback injury is greater than otherwise. No use possibly injuring Romo in a meaningless game if another quarterback is available to come in if necessary. If the title was on the line, it would be different.

The last three times Romo has gotten injured, Tyron Smith was on the field. The Cowboys seem to have no issue with playing Prescott behind Emmett Cleary, but they do with Romo?

Believe me, they can do different things protection wise to assist Emmett Cleary. Romo could also rely on shorter passes. If he's so fragile, and needed to be protected, then he should be deactivated. Again, he's either cleared for football activity, or he's not.

MSCowboyFan

Reaction score

We agree on SO much in here lately but not this time. This is a totally meaningless game and Philly isn't going to be in a good mood because we ruined their season. I don't want to see any of our stars playing. I'd sit Dak, Zeke, Dez, Lee, Irving, Collins, Carr, etc.....the game means absolutely nothing.

Gabe

Reaction score
I really like this move. We have to get Sanchez ready. He has been a GREAT mentor to Dak and has been fully supportive throughout. I'd be ok with having the guy with the most playoff wins under his belt on the roster for the playoffs. Let's go get it done!

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
who ever the back up is going into the play offs needs to get the 2nd string snaps sunday PERIOD>>>>

Even though we are making a run to the big game somehow the front office still manages to make bone head moves sometimes

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I have to disagree with this, based on the simple fact that for a number of weeks now we have dressed only 2 QB's; Dak and Romo.

This, to me, completely shuts down the speculation that something is legitimately wrong with Romo health-wise.

I'm not saying there's still something wrong with Romo but there could be something going on with him that the team isn't disclosing. He could be experiencing stiffness or something they fear could flare up and don't want to risk him. By Jerry saying the risk of injury is not worth playing him, it goes back to what I've been saying about Romo all along, that he'll never be completely healthy. Back issues don't just clear up and go away. Romo gave up golf because of his back so it's clear he's not 100% healthy and never will be. If the team is willing to risk Dak but not Romo that leaves a lot of room for speculation.

If Sanchez plays and Romo doesn't that makes you wonder how healthy he really is. Many are scratching their heads why the Cowboys are willing to risk their starting QB in a meaningless game but not their backup. If Sanchez plays against Philly and Romo who's suppose to be the backup doesn't it's just going to make the situation more perplexing. It's almost like they have Romo glued together and aren't sure when he might start falling apart.

starcity214

Reaction score
I'm not saying there's still something wrong with Romo but there could be something going on with him that the team isn't disclosing. He could be experiencing stiffness or something they fear could flare up and don't want to risk him. By Jerry saying the risk of injury is not worth playing him, it goes back to what I've been saying about Romo all along, that he'll never be completely healthy. Back issues don't just clear up and go away. Romo gave up golf because of his back so it's clear he's not 100% healthy and never will be. If the team is willing to risk Dak but not Romo that leaves a lot of room for speculation.

If Sanchez plays and Romo doesn't that makes you wonder how healthy he really is. Many are scratching their heads why the Cowboys are willing to risk their starting QB in a meaningless game but not their backup. If Sanchez plays against Philly and Romo who's suppose to be the backup doesn't it's just going to make the situation more perplexing. It's almost like they have Romo glued together and aren't sure when he might start falling apart.
Either that, or they just may feel the better QB is not starting.. That's the way it seems to me.

thechosen1n2

Reaction score
Not worth letting your biggest trade chip get injured

Its not about trade chip. Its the fact if Romo has a stinker of a game, or goes down, they wont Romo healthy. Everyone is saying Romo is not rusty at all. Dez, coaches, Witten, Owners. They all seem confident he can step in.