Twitter: Cowboys working QB plan for Philly

irving

Reaction score
We risked Dak when Tyron went down and Clearly took over at LT and did a very good job out there. I would not base who is playing on Smith absent. Having said that I doubt starter will play long and yes I would put Romo in. Once you get to a point where you will not play your backup QB because you are scared he could get hurt then what use is he to the Cowboys? I don't want to see Romo hurt but he needs to see live action something he has not seen since Thanksgiving of last season and people expect he can come in post season vs top teams and do the job injury free?
You said what use is Romo to the Cowboys, if they are afraid to play him, well that's just it. The Cowboys don't appear to have Romo in their future plans. It's all about his value to whatever team decides he will fit into their future plans. As some have already stated, if Dak gets hurt in the playoffs, then it's all hands on deck, but until that time Dallas won't do anything to hurt Romo's trade value.

irving

Reaction score
I see. I think we're in violent agreement. You're basically saying that this is a CYA move, designed to avoid further QB controversy.
At 13-2 I would disagree that this is cya move. Just how much better could the team have played with Romo. As for the playoffs, once again whose to say Romo will play any better than Dak. I'm sure Garrett is prepared to live with whatever the playoff outcome is with Dak, after all it's a team game. It's not as if they are keeping a quarterback with a lot of post season success on the bench. No disrespect meant.

irving

Reaction score
I don't really think the Cowboys are thinking of games for Tony at this time. I think they consider Dak the starter. Tony is the backup. No other playoff teams are worried about getting their backup in games. I don't even know the names of most of the other backups.
Very good point, what other playoff team do we know of? That is pulling their hair out worrying that the back up quarterback will get playing time. I can answer that , none. I think certain cowboy fans , just can't come to grips with the fact that, Romo probably won't ever play for Dallas again, unless Dak sustains a injury.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Yea. I mean we never worried if the backup got reps in past playoff years. You know why? Because it didn't matter. If Dak goes down we're probably not going to win anyway. And a rusty Tony is still better than most of the playoff backups if he can stay healthy. No reason to risk an injury in a meaningless game. He'd be playing with backups anyway.

Ok pretend to believe we have an average backup qb who has not done **** in his career.

crashintonickdm

Reaction score
I think they feel that if he needs to come in he's season enough to just go right in and play

He probably is. Romo is ****in good

Angus

Reaction score
The Cowboys are not interested in trading Tony Romo any more than they were interested in trading Leary; he's too valuable as an excellent replacement for an essential position if the starter gets hurt. If Romo asks to be released after the season they would probably honor his request as a courtesy for past achievements and loyalty, but he would not be released otherwise. Who better would the Cowboys rather have act as quarterback for the team during the playoffs (or next year) if Prescott couldn't do it? No one. The Eagle game is not important to the Cowboys except as an opportunity to give the rookie, Dak, more needed experience and to keep an edge. If three quarters of that is enough of that, bring in the third quarterback to finish the game rather than risk the one possibly needed in the playoffs if Dak can't play. Taking unnecessary chances with an insurance policy is foolish, and they won't do it if they are wise.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Very good point, what other playoff team do we know of? That is pulling their hair out worrying that the back up quarterback will get playing time. I can answer that , none. I think certain cowboy fans , just can't come to grips with the fact that, Romo probably won't ever play for Dallas again, unless Dak sustains a injury.
They believed the he had 5 more years line that Jerry liked to tell. lol

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You said what use is Romo to the Cowboys, if they are afraid to play him, well that's just it. The Cowboys don't appear to have Romo in their future plans. It's all about his value to whatever team decides he will fit into their future plans. As some have already stated, if Dak gets hurt in the playoffs, then it's all hands on deck, but until that time Dallas won't do anything to hurt Romo's trade value.

I'm sorry what value? He last played Thanksgiving of 2015, threw 2 ints for TD and was injured so that is the last real exposer a GM would have on him. Since then he has been reinjured in pre season. In any trade a team would also have to pick up his contract no one is going to do that and they are not giving up a high pick. It is more likely that Dallas releases Romo and let him talk with other teams. I think many here feel someone is going to give some 2nd or 3rd pick for Romo and I will lay money that is not going to happen. 36 with continual back issues is not going to attract teams to give up a top pick.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
I'm sorry what value? He last played Thanksgiving of 2015, threw 2 ints for TD and was injured so that is the last real exposer a GM would have on him. Since then he has been reinjured in pre season. In any trade a team would also have to pick up his contract no one is going to do that and they are not giving up a high pick. It is more likely that Dallas releases Romo and let him talk with other teams. I think many here feel someone is going to give some 2nd or 3rd pick for Romo and I will lay money that is not going to happen. 36 with continual back issues is not going to attract teams to give up a top pick.

I think we will see 3 with conditions involved e.g. 3 turning to 2 if so many games played or alternatively 4 turning to 3 same basis...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think we will see 3 with conditions involved e.g. 3 turning to 2 if so many games played or alternatively 4 turning to 3 same basis...

I think cap wise Dallas saves if Romo is a June 1st release at that time Romo can actively pursue a team. No team is going to pick up his contract as it currently stands. Teams also know Dallas is not going to pay 24.5 million for a backup QB which gives them an upper hand in any deal. Why would someone want to give up a 3rd when they know you are not going to keep him?

mahoneybill

Reaction score
I think cap wise Dallas saves if Romo is a June 1st release at that time Romo can actively pursue a team. No team is going to pick up his contract as it currently stands. Teams also know Dallas is not going to pay 24.5 million for a backup QB which gives them an upper hand in any deal. Why would someone want to give up a 3rd when they know you are not going to keep him?

Good observation. Didn't take that into account in my thinking.

ragman

Reaction score
I hope that this report by Adam Schefter is wrong. What sense does it make for Romo to play on Sunday? Especially with OL Leary and Smith hurt? IMO, it doesn't make sense.