Twitter: Cowboys working QB plan for Philly

starcity214

Reaction score
They certainly don't think Romo is the better QB or he would be starting.

When all the "Romo haters" went out in droves to buy their shiny new Dak jerseys it was pretty much a done deal. Money over logic my man..

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
When all the "Romo haters" went out in droves to buy their shiny new Dak jerseys it was pretty much a done deal. Money over logic my man..

You're defying logic with that response are you serious? If it was all about money Romo would be starting he's being paid millions. The team isn't going to start a QB based on jersey sales...get real! LOL The reason Dak's jersey's are selling is because he's playing great football and has been one of the top QBs/players in the league this season.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
All it would take to entice someone to possibly trade for Romo is for him to show he can still move around well. Jerry saying he fears playing Romo due to fear of injury is going to scare every team off. If you're another team hearing Jerry say that it makes you wonder if something isn't still wrong with Romo. The little practice video I've seen of Romo a few weeks ago he didn't appear to be moving very well.

He still looked like he was in discomfort when he moved around, he looked stiff. They showed him and Dak side by side throwing and moving around and it's easy to tell who the older QB is. I'm thinking the Cowboys have seen things in practice that have them so concerned they're afraid to give Romo a few live game snaps. I don't think they believe he can escape and avoid a pass rush and Philly can get after the QB.

We will not trade Romo unless a team he wants to go to makes a minimal offer. This is not about trade value. He's getting released - that's how you show respect.

He's not playing garbage time because we want him available if needed in the playoffs.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We will not trade Romo unless a team he wants to go to makes a minimal offer. This is not about trade value. He's getting released - that's how you show respect.

He's not playing garbage time because we want him available if needed in the playoffs.

He's going to be released after the season but he still needs some snaps to try and work off some of the rust in case he's needed in the playoffs. If his first snaps since August come in the playoffs he'll have little chance of having success.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
I guess you can look at it 2 ways:

1) They're going to rest Dak for part of the Philly game, but they don't care about getting the backup live game reps, so Sanchez makes sense. Behind 2nd string OL especially.

2) You want to get your backup some game reps heading into the playoffs in a game you don't need to win. If this is how you look at it, you need to give Romo some reps in case he's called upon in the playoffs.

I dunno, just seems silly not to play Romo. Maybe Jerry is afraid he'll throw a couple bad picks and hurt the trade price he can try to get for him.

I think its more about protecting him from the Philly headhunters...... they would like nothing better than to add his scalp to " career ended" by Philadelphia Eagles....

P.S. I was born and raised in Philly, but lifelong Cowboys fan, so have a feel for what many fans have in their minds when it comes to all things Cowboys....

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I think its more about protecting him from the Philly headhunters...... they would like nothing better than to add his scalp to " career ended" by Philadelphia Eagles....

P.S. I was born and raised in Philly, but lifelong Cowboys fan, so have a feel for what many fans have in their minds when it comes to all things Cowboys....
I agree. Still remember the day they knocked Michael Irvin out and those sorry fans cheered.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
That was the day I started hating Philly.
I hated them a longer than that. It began back with Dick Vermeil and it reached it's height with Buddy Ryan. This incident just proved me right about that team and that city's football fans.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
With Smith out of the game the possibility of a quarterback injury is greater than otherwise. No use possibly injuring Romo in a meaningless game if another quarterback is available to come in if necessary. If the title was on the line, it would be different.

I think many are missing the point of not playing Romo. The less playoff teams see of him the better. Fear of the unknown.

If I was Dallas, I'd take my chances going into the playoffs knowing that Romo could still be great given the right scenario. Let all opposing teams keep wondering.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
So, let me get this straight. Romo is supposedly healthy, and would replace Prescott in the event of injury, but he can't see the field during a meaningless game?

And, the Cowboys would rather that he potentially go into a playoff game not having seen a regular season snap since Thanksgiving, 2015?

For a team that made a number of sage personnel moves this year, this one boggles the mind.
LOL you got it !!
Some say jerry doesnt want him hurt,
I say JG just doesnt want him playing at all .

I predicted it would be sanchez as the bkup.

Tony probably would like to play, but the braintrust here doesnt want to mess with the dak train at all.
Now if Dak doesnt get hurt, they made the right call, however if he did, then they made the wrong call.

If I was going to use tony as bkup in playoffs and possibly the SB, I would have already played him in some of these games.
one game a partial one isnt really going to help tony a lot, and consider that tyron and others wont be playing so risk of injury
is greater in this game.

I would have handled this all differently, Dak and others and coaches preach TEAM and Teamwork, play for each other.
Well Tony is part of the team and he should have been playing at times, and they could have stated Dak is the starter
no matter how good tony plays.
But Tony would be ready if needed. Now he wont be, he would have to come in cold and try to get up to speed in the game
he plays.
But hopefully they wont need tony.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Ok. Are we just afraid of a qb controversy here or am I missing something?
It seems odd that tony would replace Dak in the event of injury, hasn't had reps in literally years, and yet we gonna roll with the sanchize in an obvious place to get him a few reps.
JG said some things after this last game that implied tony might upset the chemistry this team has right now, and he is afraid
to play tony.
He is gambling on Dak not getting hurt.

csirl

Reaction score
JG said some things after this last game that implied tony might upset the chemistry this team has right now, and he is afraid
to play tony.
He is gambling on Dak not getting hurt.

Jerry's just talking - does anyone actually believe playing Romo now will upset team chemistry?

I've said it for weeks - Romo isnt going to play this season and its nothing to do with saving him for the playoffs.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Jerry's just talking - does anyone actually believe playing Romo now will upset team chemistry?

I've said it for weeks - Romo isnt going to play this season and its nothing to do with saving him for the playoffs.
I think that is what garret thinks, not jerry.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Not worth letting your biggest trade chip get injured

Yeah, well if I'm interested in Romo, but I see you can't even trust him to get on the field for 2-3 quarters without getting injured, then I'm not giving you bleep for him.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Yeah, well if I'm interested in Romo, but I see you can't even trust him to get on the field for 2-3 quarters without getting injured, then I'm not giving you bleep for him.

I dont understand, be it backup tackle , but if we can let Starter play with that setup , why wont the backup play. What happens if Romo need to play some (with a lot at stake - hopefully never needed) snaps in playoffs and cant play with rhytham or gets hurt the first hit he takes , where will go then ?

knightrider94

Reaction score
No team would ever trade for Romo without giving him an extremely thorough medical exam and a very intense workout.
That workout would test everything that he would show in a meaningless game in Philly--unless you want him on purpose to take a big hit...which would be dumb.

He moves better now than he did 3-4 years ago. The ONLY question is whether he can take sustained hits.
Serious question: if you are an interested team, how do you find out if he can take a hit? I am sure his agent will not let him go through a car test dummy like exercise.