big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys WR Jalen Tolbert looking forward to bigger role
Todd Brock
May 6, 2024

Among the Cowboys players who took a giant leap from 2022 to 2023 was wide receiver Jalen Tolbert. The third-round pick out of South Alabama was practically invisible within the Dallas offense as a rookie, catching just two balls on the season for 12 yards across eight game appearances.

Things took a dramatic turn for the better last year, with the 25-year-old seeing action in every contest of the season, watching his targets go up by 1,100%, and scoring his first two NFL touchdowns, all while becoming a more trusted part of Dak Prescott’s pass-catching arsenal.

Last season, Tolbert was vying with Michael Gallup for reps. Now Gallup is gone, and the WR3 spot is there for the taking.

Helping him get there is Brandin Cooks. The 11th-year veteran was cast into a strong mentorship role in his first season with the Cowboys, but he’s taking it even further this year. And he’s treating Tolbert as his protege, already hosting him at his home in Oregon for over a week this offseason.

Cooks believes that Tolbert has the goods to take an even bigger step in this, his third season in the pros. “The kid is special,” Cooks explained. “The ability, the talent is there. I just look forward to him really getting his shot and being out there.”

Much more: https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2024/05/06/cowboys-jalen-tolbert-no-1-brandin-cooks-mentor/

USATSI_18904803.jpg

plasticman

Reaction score
I look at Tolbert as being "one of the rest". That is, he will be in a small group of offensive players that get the receptions left over by Lamb, Cooks, and Ferguson. We don't need another "star", just a player that understands and accepts his role while always taking advantage of the opportunities that come his way.

I'm not interested in prolific numbers any more. I'm interested in the execution of critical plays that dictate the outcome of games. If Tolbert is given two Targets then a successful game is one in which he makes both catches and advances the ball.

JBS

Reaction score
I look at Tolbert as being "one of the rest". That is, he will be in a small group of offensive players that get the receptions left over by Lamb, Cooks, and Ferguson. We don't need another "star", just a player that understands and accepts his role while always taking advantage of the opportunities that come his way.

I'm not interested in prolific numbers any more. I'm interested in the execution of critical plays that dictate the outcome of games. If Tolbert is given two Targets then a successful game is one in which he makes both catches and advances the ball.
Yeah and what are you going to do when one of those top 3 guys misses some games? Not to mention cooks goes MIA often. You have this backwards

plasticman

Reaction score
Yeah and what are you going to do when one of those top 3 guys misses some games? Not to mention cooks goes MIA often. You have this backwards
I'm not going to wave a magic wand and, abacadabra, Tolbert is the next Cowboys HOF WR.

Realistically, in such a scenario, the targets would increase across the offense in an effort to compensate for the loss. In the case of the Cowboys, that would be devastating. If Tolbert had the potential to be a top tier receiver, we probably would have witnessed a hint of that by now.

Some of us are very impressed with such an increase in productivity from 2022 to 2023.....until you compare that to the numbers of the other two Cowboys WR's drafted in the 3rd round over the past decade.

Of the six WR's drafted after 2000 in the top three rounds< Tolbert ranked dead last in reception for both his rookie season and his 2nd season. In fact, all other receivers had more receptions in their rookie season than Tolbert had in both combined.

Terrance Williams and Michael Gallup, both 3rd round picks, had four times more yardage, four times more scores, and at least 4 more yards per reception in their first two combined seasons.

There are at least two other Jalens in the Cowboys receiving squad with the potential to pass Tolbert up.

CowboyChris

Reaction score

i see it the same just like our RB group all spares

FoxF

Reaction score
I am upbeat about him, he was 3rd round draft pick and looking for that 3rd year breakout. Many a great WRs took a few years to get going and he has had talent in front of him instead of being thrust into the lineup. I think he steps up this year.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I'm interested in prolific numbers, but I don't know if that's realistic. I hope someone steps up among Tolbert, Bryant, Turpin, Brooks, Flournoy, Durden and Cropper to not only seize the No. 3 job but challenge a declining Cooks for the No. 2 role. More than likely, we'll end up using a variety of players to fill the No. 3 and 4 roles and have to rely on Lamb and Cooks to do the heavy lifting, along with Ferguson at tight end. I'm also interested in seeing if Luepke gets a bigger role at fullback as a pass catcher.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Todd Brock
May 6, 2024

Among the Cowboys players who took a giant leap from 2022 to 2023 was wide receiver Jalen Tolbert. The third-round pick out of South Alabama was practically invisible within the Dallas offense as a rookie, catching just two balls on the season for 12 yards across eight game appearances.

Things took a dramatic turn for the better last year, with the 25-year-old seeing action in every contest of the season, watching his targets go up by 1,100%, and scoring his first two NFL touchdowns, all while becoming a more trusted part of Dak Prescott’s pass-catching arsenal.

Last season, Tolbert was vying with Michael Gallup for reps. Now Gallup is gone, and the WR3 spot is there for the taking.

Helping him get there is Brandin Cooks. The 11th-year veteran was cast into a strong mentorship role in his first season with the Cowboys, but he’s taking it even further this year. And he’s treating Tolbert as his protege, already hosting him at his home in Oregon for over a week this offseason.

Cooks believes that Tolbert has the goods to take an even bigger step in this, his third season in the pros. “The kid is special,” Cooks explained. “The ability, the talent is there. I just look forward to him really getting his shot and being out there.”

Much more: https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2024/05/06/cowboys-jalen-tolbert-no-1-brandin-cooks-mentor/

USATSI_18904803.jpg
He better be, I have been holding him in a Dynasty league since he was a rook... lol

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Todd Brock
May 6, 2024

USATSI_18904803.jpg
Wouldn't be surprised if Brooks beats him out

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
This guy has zero business being WR3. Absolute joke from this front office
I don't understand why he couldn't be, who is beating him out of that role...
Flournoy
Brooks
Turpin