Cowboys WR Jalen Tolbert looking forward to bigger role

rambo2

Reaction score
They cut Gallup because he wasn't worth the contract he was receiving. That does not automatically mean the others are.
Gallup wasn't getting separation. Not only the contract.

Jarntt

Reaction score
He would have got more if Gallup wasn't out there.
But he didn’t. If Gallup, CeeDee and Cooks all got hurt he would have gotten a lot more, but that’s a silly way to look at it also.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
It is. It'll be interesting to see if anyone can take advantage or if we find other ways to take focus off of Lamb. I even think a player like Hunter Luepke could get in on it. The fact that Ferguson provided 71 receptions will help.
Ferg has taken the step up already and his attitude is inspiring, he bring leadership to our TE room, think about that for a brief moment, because that is exactly how long Ferg has been here, just a brief moment and mentoring a very young group.
I want to retain as many TEs as we can from this group.
Even at the expense of some underperforming WRs and FBs, RBs.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Gallup will probablly last in this league for some time, but the short terms of these contracts out price a players value.
Its just the way the game is played these days, and I wouldnt ever waste time on esp WR rebuild projects, the term is always too short.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If he was making Tolbert money, he'd probably be given another year to return to form, but he wasn't. You cut players when they are not playing up to what they are being paid ... and you hope that someone else will step up and play above where they are being paid. Dallas has absolutely no idea if that will happen, but it wasn't going to pay Gallup No. 2 receiver money to produce less-than-No. 3 receiver results.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Ferg has taken the step up already and his attitude is inspiring, he bring leadership to our TE room, think about that for a brief moment, because that is exactly how long Ferg has been here, just a brief moment and mentoring a very young group.
I want to retain as many TEs as we can from this group.
Even at the expense of some underperforming WRs and FBs, RBs.
Agreed on Ferguson. Don't know about the rest of the TE group. There's a lot to be learned.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Cooks had 54 catches for 657 yards, his lowest totals since 2019. The previous year, he had 57-699. The two seasons mark the first time the 10-year veteran has had back-to-back seasons without 1,000 yards. The good news is he did have more TDs last year than in all but his second and third seasons, when he had 9 and 8. (Last year, he also had eight).

Maybe we see Cooks' numbers go back up, but at this point in his career, I don't think that's likely. We got closer to No. 3 receiver numbers out of him last year than No. 2, and he may be at the point in his career where he should be a No. 3.
Dak & Cooks had chemistry issues plus CeeDee was getting the majority of targets. Cooks didn't look like he was in decline like Gallup did.

rambo2

Reaction score
If he was making Tolbert money, he'd probably be given another year to return to form, but he wasn't. You cut players when they are not playing up to what they are being paid ... and you hope that someone else will step up and play above where they are being paid. Dallas has absolutely no idea if that will happen, but it wasn't going to pay Gallup No. 2 receiver money to produce less-than-No. 3 receiver results.
As guys get older, they generally don't return to form.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Dak & Cooks had chemistry issues plus CeeDee was getting the majority of targets. Cooks didn't look like he was in decline like Gallup did.
I'm not sure we can blame it all on chemistry issues. His numbers have declined. It's up to him to prove that he has not.

gimmesix

Reaction score
As guys get older, they generally don't return to form.
I don't think age is the concern with Gallup; not returning to form after the ACL tear is. He might never get back to his pre-ACL form, but you can take a chance on that if he's not making much. That's essentially what the Raiders are doing, paying him $1.75 million this year. He's only 28 this year.

krs1bro

Reaction score
This dude stepped up last year.....Im on board and pulling for him!

JBS

Reaction score
I don't understand why he couldn't be, who is beating him out of that role...
Flournoy
Brooks
Turpin
The point is they needed to bring in a better player. What’s so hard to understand

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cooks had 54 catches for 657 yards, his lowest totals since 2019. The previous year, he had 57-699. The two seasons mark the first time the 10-year veteran has had back-to-back seasons without 1,000 yards. The good news is he did have more TDs last year than in all but his second and third seasons, when he had 9 and 8. (Last year, he also had eight).

Maybe we see Cooks' numbers go back up, but at this point in his career, I don't think that's likely. We got closer to No. 3 receiver numbers out of him last year than No. 2, and he may be at the point in his career where he should be a No. 3.
How many times did we see him running wide open down field every game? How many games did Dak basically ignore him and he disappeared? Exactly?

There is a reason his numbers went down. And we are only talking about 2 completions per game. He is capable of still being a WR2. When he was targeted he came through for the Cowboys last year and will again this year.

gimmesix

Reaction score
How many times did we see him running wide open down field every game? How many games did Dak basically ignore him and he disappeared? Exactly?

There is a reason his numbers went down. And we are only talking about 2 completions per game. He is capable of still being a WR2. When he was targeted he came through for the Cowboys last year and will again this year.
I don't know. I don't have statistics on that. I only have statistics that show after regularly being a 1,000-yard receiver, he hasn't been one the last two seasons. That doesn't mean he can't do it again, but it is a decline in play for whatever reason. We can speculate that Gallup would have had as many catches as Cooks if he'd had as many targets, but we don't know that. All we know is what they produced. Cooks has produced No. 3 receiver numbers the last two seasons.