Cowboys WR Jalen Tolbert looking forward to bigger role

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Cooks had 54 catches for 657 yards, his lowest totals since 2019. The previous year, he had 57-699. The two seasons mark the first time the 10-year veteran has had back-to-back seasons without 1,000 yards. The good news is he did have more TDs last year than in all but his second and third seasons, when he had 9 and 8. (Last year, he also had eight).

Maybe we see Cooks' numbers go back up, but at this point in his career, I don't think that's likely. We got closer to No. 3 receiver numbers out of him last year than No. 2, and he may be at the point in his career where he should be a No. 3.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I don't understand why he couldn't be, who is beating him out of that role...
Flournoy
Brooks
Turpin
You never know. Marques Colston was a seventh-round pick by New Orleans and had 70 catches and more than 1,000 yards as a rookie. Antonio Brown was a sixth-round pick ... although his rookie year is probably more like what we can expect (16-167). I'm not expecting anything, but I don't think we can just dismiss it.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Gallup will not be missed.
His ceiling was much shorter than most thought.
Just ran out of time with him, WRs getting torn ACLs run out of time quickly.

Last edited:

rambo2

Reaction score
Cooks had 54 catches for 657 yards, his lowest totals since 2019. The previous year, he had 57-699. The two seasons mark the first time the 10-year veteran has had back-to-back seasons without 1,000 yards. The good news is he did have more TDs last year than in all but his second and third seasons, when he had 9 and 8. (Last year, he also had eight).

Maybe we see Cooks' numbers go back up, but at this point in his career, I don't think that's likely. We got closer to No. 3 receiver numbers out of him last year than No. 2, and he may be at the point in his career where he should be a No. 3.
They threw too much to Gallup who wasn't getting open.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
You never know. Marques Colston was a seventh-round pick by New Orleans and had 70 catches and more than 1,000 yards as a rookie. Antonio Brown was a sixth-round pick ... although his rookie year is probably more like what we can expect (16-167). I'm not expecting anything, but I don't think we can just dismiss it.
WR3 is wide open for all takers on this roster, Im not even trying to get in a debate with others here about that, not you,,, lol
Everyone paying attention knows that after CD and Cooks its wide open,,, might even go deeper at TE than we have historically.

loublue22

Reaction score
We couldn't have signed Tyler Boyd? He got less than $5 mil for 1 year.

rambo2

Reaction score
WR3 is wide open for all takers on this roster, Im not even trying to get in a debate with other here, not you,,, lol
Everyone paying attention knows that after CD and Cooks its wide open,,, might even go deeper at TE than we have historically.
Jalen Moreno Cropper too.

rambo2

Reaction score
We couldn't have signed Tyler Boyd? He got less than $5 mil for 1 year.
The Cowboys have a long string of talented receivers trying to make the team. I think that they got better with Gallup getting cut.

gimmesix

Reaction score
They threw too much to Gallup who wasn't getting open.
Gallup was targeted 57 times and made 34 catches. Cooks was targets 81 times and caught 57.

J_Allen

Reaction score
Isn't this his third year? We had the same story in the off-season last year. At what point does he stop looking forward to playing a bigger role and actually playing a bigger role?

Jarntt

Reaction score
Cowboys WR Jalen Tolbert looking forward to bigger role
Todd Brock
May 6, 2024

Among the Cowboys players who took a giant leap from 2022 to 2023 was wide receiver Jalen Tolbert. The third-round pick out of South Alabama was practically invisible within the Dallas offense as a rookie, catching just two balls on the season for 12 yards across eight game appearances.
calling 22-268 a giant leap Is kind of silly

gimmesix

Reaction score
WR3 is wide open for all takers on this roster, Im not even trying to get in a debate with others here about that, not you,,, lol
It is. It'll be interesting to see if anyone can take advantage or if we find other ways to take focus off of Lamb. I even think a player like Hunter Luepke could get in on it. The fact that Ferguson provided 71 receptions will help.

gimmesix

Reaction score
They cut Gallup because Tolbert and the others should be better than he was.
They cut Gallup because he wasn't worth the contract he was receiving. That does not automatically mean the others are.