Cowboys WR Jalen Tolbert looking forward to bigger role

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Isn't this his third year? We had the same story in the off-season last year. At what point does he stop looking forward to playing a bigger role and actually playing a bigger role?
He made a big jump from his rookie season.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know. I don't have statistics on that. I only have statistics that show after regularly being a 1,000-yard receiver, he hasn't been one the last two seasons. That doesn't mean he can't do it again, but it is a decline in play for whatever reason.
How does that prove there was a decline in play? He can't throw it to himself. We know who the QB was locked into.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
How does that prove there was a decline in play? He can't throw it to himself. We know who the QB was locked into.
It's pretty simple math. Now, you can say that Lamb was the reason for it. You can say that Dak was the reason for it. But the numbers here and in Houston his last two years (with different QBs and different lead receivers) show a decline in play. You don't go from being a 1,000-yard receiver to a 650-700-yard receiver without a decline in play. Before, teams had to throw him the ball because his skills demanded it. Not so much the last two years.

That doesn't mean he isn't still fast, can't get open, etc., it just means his production has fallen off. Whether he's the main reason for that is something we'll find out. Frankly, I think he's at a point in his career where he'd be better served being a third receiver, that speed threat that teams can't focus on because of the No. 1 and No. 2 guys, but that isn't going to happen here.

I'm curious, since you don't seem to believe the stats don't prove a decline in play, what do you have as evidence against a decline in play? I mean, you can say you don't see it, but if you have no measurable numbers to prove there isn't one, I think the two straight seasons below 1,000 yards say there is.

It's kind of like Ezekiel Elliott. I believe injuries midway through his last two seasons with us affected his play. I believe the line play in New England and a poor passing game affected his average. However, anyone who believes he's hit the wall has 3.8 and 3.5 averages to lean on as proof, and I can't refute that. It's up to him to show that he's better than that, just like it is up to Cooks to show that the wear-and-tear wall isn't bringing him down.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You don't go from being a 1,000-yard receiver to a 650-700-yard receiver without a decline in play.
Whatever you say boss. All the numbers you threw out there don't prove that. We all know why he wasn't a 1000 yard WR for the Cowboys last year.

J-man

Reaction score
He should be hoping he doesn't get surpassed and cut.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Big jump! Hahaha. He had 200 yards receiving. what the heck are you talking about.
Do you watch the games? Do you read/watch anything about that player?

It really couldn't be more obvious. The difference between his rookie year and last year were huge.