Cowboys WR's And TE's Have Height Advantage Over Steelers CB's And LB's..

Boysboy

Reaction score
SteelManiac55;2458649 said:
The Steelers wouldn't do it if they felt he'd struggle. Randy Moss had an awful game. Chad Johnson regularly gets shut down by Ike. Plaxico, Braylon Edwards, etc.

If he can handle Randy on his own I'm sure he can do alright against TO. It helps having that great front seven, sure, but Ike can hold his own.

Just curious-who would be the guy who covers Roy Williams?

SteelManiac55

Reaction score
Boysboy;2458653 said:
Just curious-who would be the guy who covers Roy Williams?

Bryant McFadden will likely be back this week starting opposite of Ike. He's another big, physical CB that was playing at a really high level (better than Ike even) before he broke his forearm. Hopefully he recovers well from the injury and keeps up that high level of play, but that's certainly something that will be a factor in the game.

Boysboy

Reaction score
SteelManiac55;2458656 said:
Bryant McFadden will likely be back this week starting opposite of Ike. He's another big, physical CB that was playing at a really high level (better than Ike even) before he broke his forearm. Hopefully he recovers well from the injury and keeps up that high level of play, but that's certainly something that will be a factor in the game.

So sounds like your team is starting to get healthy at the right time of the season?

If memory serves, they were getting some significant injuries going into the final sprint of last season.

SteelManiac55

Reaction score
Boysboy;2458659 said:
So sounds like your team is starting to get healthy at the right time of the season?

If memory serves, they were getting some significant injuries going into the final sprint of last season.

Yeah, it's a bit of a flip from last season (knock on wood). This team was battered by injuries early in the season. We're finally starting to get healthy - only Brett Keisel and Marvel Smith will be the missing regulars this week (other than the IR'ed crew).

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
AsthmaField;2458623 said:
Going back through your history, it's almost impossible to find anything positive about Dallas. Everything you write is negative and you specialize in putting a negative slant on anything you can. Like your snide little comment above.

To me, the only question I have besides which team you actually pull for (my guess is Philly and whomever plays Dallas)... is what you hope to accomplish by posting here?

Go back to where you came from.

you know you ****ed up when AsthmaField is telling you to get off

but back to the OP, I'm still waiting for Romo to just throw it to Roy

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
SteelManiac55;2458616 said:
I'm just saying. That's likely what TO will see most of this game - a whole lot of man coverage from Ike Taylor. He generally shadows the oppositions best WR.

SteelManiac55;2458634 said:
He'll get some safety help but he'll also get a lot of single coverage calls. Ike does this nearly every game - he contained Randy Moss, has always dominated Chad Johnson, etc. He's a very physical, fast CB that thrives when shadowing a receiver.

SteelManiac55;2458656 said:

So allow me to summarize:

Ike Taylor is consistently singled up against the top wide receivers in the game, and consistently shuts them down. Yet, despite this litany of lauded accomplishments, he isn't even Pittsburgh's best corner. That prized distinction falls to Bryant McFadden, who, despite his copious amounts of talent, isn't called upon to cover the opponent's best receiver...as one might expect.

Geez, dude, it's amazing that any team has even crossed midfield against the mighty Steelers defense.
:lmao2:

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
SteelManiac55;2458616 said:
I'm just saying. That's likely what TO will see most of this game - a whole lot of man coverage from Ike Taylor. He generally shadows the oppositions best WR.

I thought you guys played more "team" defense if you will. Didnt know you guys liked to take the shadow approach. Me personally, I dont think you have a corner good enough to do so.

I think it would be best to just play your defense and try to get a jam on TO whoever is across from him, wherever he may line up. I dont think Taylor is good enough to shadow TO for an entire game.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Roy Williams and T.O. are stronger and can beat a jam better than ocho cinco or the other 81.

SteelManiac55

Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2458677 said:
So allow me to summarize:

Ike Taylor is consistently singled up against the top wide receivers in the game, and consistently shuts them down. Yet, despite this litany of lauded accomplishments, he isn't even Pittsburgh's best corner. That prized distinction falls to Bryant McFadden, who, despite his copious amounts of talent, isn't called upon to cover the opponent's best receiver...as one might expect.

Geez, dude, it's amazing that any team has even crossed midfield against the mighty Steelers defense.
:lmao2:

I said McFadden was playing at a higher quality than Taylor prior to his injury. Playing well over a 6 game window does not equal being a better CB. Taylor is still the teams best CB.

My man, Ike Taylor works better playing man coverage. He tends to get a little lost in zone. He struggles a little when his physical play is taken away. He's not perfect. No CB on the Steelers team is absolutely dominant. Ike is, however, an exceptional man coverage CB. He can't catch to save his life, it's awful, but he is still one hell of a CB. He's a big, strong, fast CB that relies a lot on his athleticism and physicality.

And NextGen, the Steelers run a zone blitz scheme but they do use a fair amount of man coverage when facing top tier WR's. Ike has shadowed opposing WR's his entire career and has openly stated that he prefers to do so. He had a rough year in 2006, even being benched at one point, but he has rebounded quite well. He's really solid. No other Steelers CB will be seen shadowing a WR. It's nothing new.

Staggerlee

chip_gilkey
Reaction score
SteelManiac55;2458649 said:
The Steelers wouldn't do it if they felt he'd struggle. Randy Moss had an awful game. Chad Johnson regularly gets shut down by Ike. Plaxico, Braylon Edwards, etc.

If he can handle Randy on his own I'm sure he can do alright against TO. It helps having that great front seven, sure, but Ike can hold his own.

Well see thats the difference and your mistake right there. This isn't plaxico or Johnson or Braylon. Granted those guys are very capable receivers, they are not on T.O's level. Moss is close, i will give you that and shutting him down is tough, but still, who do you think is harder to stop one on one, T.O. or Moss? Id take Moss on an island any day if i were Ike. I guess we will just have to wait and see if it happens or not, if it does.....im expecting a big day from T.O.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Steeler fans have a right to brag a bit about that defense. That said, it's the front that's dominant. If Romo is able to make one guy miss like he usually does, we'll get our fair share of matchups on their CBs. Now, their safeties are another problem....

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
SteelManiac55;2458689 said:
I said McFadden was playing at a higher quality than Taylor prior to his injury. Playing well over a 6 game window does not equal being a better CB. Taylor is still the teams best CB.

My man, Ike Taylor works better playing man coverage. He tends to get a little lost in zone. He struggles a little when his physical play is taken away. He's not perfect. No CB on the Steelers team is absolutely dominant. Ike is, however, an exceptional man coverage CB. He can't catch to save his life, it's awful, but he is still one hell of a CB. He's a big, strong, fast CB that relies a lot on his athleticism and physicality.

As a general rule, the corner playing at a higher level is the better corner and, consequently, is given the more difficult man coverage assignments.

In all likelihood, in most situations where Ike Taylor is called upon to shadow the team's best receiver, he's probably getting safety help over the top.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
chip_gilkey;2458694 said:
Well see thats the difference and your mistake right there. This isn't plaxico or Johnson or Braylon. Granted those guys are very capable receivers, they are not on T.O's level. Moss is close, i will give you that and shutting him down is tough, but still, who do you think is harder to stop one on one, T.O. or Moss? Id take Moss on an island any day if i were Ike. I guess we will just have to wait and see if it happens or not, if it does.....im expecting a big day from T.O.

I saw some of that Steelers game and Moss was dropping balls he's capable of catching. I don't know if that hit Clark put on Welker scored him or what but Cassell was giving him great throws and he was dropping them. I'd hold off on giving Steelers credit for shutting Moss down.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Big D;2458647 said:
hmmm let us examine shall we?

-- --Gms - Tackles - Sacks - INTs - TD

RW- 98 - 512 - 6.5 - 19 - 6

TP- 84 - 416 - 7.0 - 16 - 3

:starspin

lol yeah I guess Roy is better....... :rolleyes:

Boysboy

Reaction score
rocyaice;2458701 said:
I saw some of that Steelers game and Moss was dropping balls he's capable of catching. I don't know if that hit Clark put on Welker scored him or what but Cassell was giving him great throws and he was dropping them. I'd hold off on giving Steelers credit for shutting Moss down.

Moss absolutely hates contact-for the most part, Pitt's DBs were bullying him around...when you do that to him, his rhythm gets throw off, which prolly explains the drops.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
SteelManiac55;2458689 said:

And NextGen, the Steelers run a zone blitz scheme but they do use a fair amount of man coverage when facing top tier WR's. Ike has shadowed opposing WR's his entire career and has openly stated that he prefers to do so. He had a rough year in 2006, even being benched at one point, but he has rebounded quite well. He's really solid. No other Steelers CB will be seen shadowing a WR. It's nothing new.

I know tons of Steelers fans and they constantly complained about Taylor last year. Has he really picked it up that much this year?

alby

Reaction score
I think this is the game Roy E Williams goes off.
8/95/1 is what I'm predicting.

Next_years_Champs

Reaction score
rocyaice;2458701 said:

I didn't watch the entire game either, But I saw Moss drop several passes which could have made a significant difference in the game. Looked like the only person responsible for shutting down Moss was Moss himself.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
They're both listed at 6'3, but RW looks significantly taller than TO when they're side by side.