Cowboys WR's And TE's Have Height Advantage Over Steelers CB's And LB's..

Smith22

Reaction score
rocyaice;2458619 said:
You're expectations were too high. I don't know anyone who saw Roy in college at OU and thought he'd come into the NFL and be a coverage juggernaut. Polumala is a rare breed of safety's. He's about 1 out of 5 safeties in the league with great coverage skills. Two completely different safeties. Polumala is great though. He's not a great tackler but his coverage skills are as good as a corners.

And to the OP, Bennett is only 6'5? He looks 6'7 or 6'8 out there.

Roy was a HUGE playmaker his 1st few years in the league, then he disappeared. The difference in his play afterwards was like night and day. I have no idea what happened to him.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
SteelManiac55;2458587 said:
Ike Taylor will likely shadow TO the entire game.

I certainly hope so. TO will have a huge game for the Boys and for my fantasy team.

SteelManiac55;2458616 said:
I'm just saying. That's likely what TO will see most of this game - a whole lot of man coverage from Ike Taylor. He generally shadows the oppositions best WR.

Nate Clements usually does pretty good against lots of other good/great recievers too. Didn't fair so well against Owens.

AsthmaField;2458626 said:
With or without safety help? Because if it is without... I can go ahead and schedule the post game celebration party.

I was thinking I'd better make sure I have Owens in my starting fantasy league lineup...CHECK!

Big D;2458647 said:
hmmm let us examine shall we?

-- --Gms - Tackles - Sacks - INTs - TD

RW- 98 - 512 - 6.5 - 19 - 6

TP- 84 - 416 - 7.0 - 16 - 3

:starspin

Interesting. Although it has taken Roy nearly one full extra season to get 3 more picks. The TDs are hard to argue with but I think I'd still take TP over RW even though I'm a RW fan.

SteelManiac55;2458649 said:
The Steelers wouldn't do it if they felt he'd struggle. Randy Moss had an awful game. Chad Johnson regularly gets shut down by Ike. Plaxico, Braylon Edwards, etc.

If he can handle Randy on his own I'm sure he can do alright against TO. It helps having that great front seven, sure, but Ike can hold his own.

Moss has one thing...the vertical game. That's pretty much the extent of what he does so it's not really hard to jam him up and take away his best threat.

Shutting down a healthy Chad Johnson is impressive. Plaxico...meh. He's a hit or miss guy anyway. Some weeks he's a stud and then other weeks he allows average teams to take him out of the lineup. And Braylon Edwards is a joke. The dude drops more balls than defenders actually keep from him.

I'm sure Ike is an outstanding QB but if the Dallas O-Line and/or Tony are able to find a little time, and TO is matched up 1 on 1 with Ike it's going to be a long day for the Steeler corner.

JerryFan

Reaction score
AsthmaField;2458623 said:
Going back through your history, it's almost impossible to find anything positive about Dallas. Everything you write is negative and you specialize in putting a negative slant on anything you can. Like your snide little comment above.

To me, the only question I have besides which team you actually pull for (my guess is Philly and whomever plays Dallas)... is what you hope to accomplish by posting here?

Go back to where you came from.

Sometimes people are just always looking for the negative. My dad is this way and it's hard to talk Cowboys with him sometimes, because he doesn't understand you can't always just dominate and be perfect every time. He finds it hard to believe since they get paid so much money. They get paid so much because they're the best at what they do and not perfect.

Mr.davon24

PGH Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
In football height has advantages sometimes but, not all. I don't expect Tony to put up big numbers. Pittsburgh D is everywhere on the field and you have the League Leadind in INTs Troy P.

Bonecrusher#31

Reaction score
rocyaice;2458619 said:
You're expectations were too high. I don't know anyone who saw Roy in college at OU and thought he'd come into the NFL and be a coverage juggernaut. Polumala is a rare breed of safety's. He's about 1 out of 5 safeties in the league with great coverage skills. Two completely different safeties. Polumala is great though. He's not a great tackler but his coverage skills are as good as a corners.

And to the OP, Bennett is only 6'5? He looks 6'7 or 6'8 out there.

Bennett is 6'6 or 6'7

Reaction score
alby;2458723 said:
I think this is the game Roy E Williams goes off.
8/95/1 is what I'm predicting.

If Roy couldn't do it against bad teams what makes you think he will do it against the #1 defense. Hope your right but don't see it happening.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Seeing that your a t-new fan you should realize height means nothing.

Newman has said many times that he has been playing against taller wr his whole life and its not a problem.

I am sure all corners feel the same way. IN the redzone I would think it would hold some water though. We are bigger than everyone in the redzone.

The Owens-witten-bennett-williams combo down there is a big group to defend. And when austin comes back, he is tall and has olympic leaping abilities.

Big D

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2458914 said:
Interesting. Although it has taken Roy nearly one full extra season to get 3 more picks. The TDs are hard to argue with but I think I'd still take TP over RW even though I'm a RW fan.

RW is sitting this season out. Let's see if TP can catch him. :p:

Don Corleone

Reaction score
chip_gilkey;2458694 said:
Well see thats the difference and your mistake right there. This isn't plaxico or Johnson or Braylon. Granted those guys are very capable receivers, they are not on T.O's level. Moss is close, i will give you that and shutting him down is tough, but still, who do you think is harder to stop one on one, T.O. or Moss? Id take Moss on an island any day if i were Ike. I guess we will just have to wait and see if it happens or not, if it does.....im expecting a big day from T.O.

Moss isn't nearly as dangerous with Cassell throwing to him. If it was Brady, I would give him a slight edge over TO. The TO and Romo combo is lethal right now.

SteelManiac55

Reaction score
Muhast;2458716 said:
I know tons of Steelers fans and they constantly complained about Taylor last year. Has he really picked it up that much this year?

Ike was perfectly fine last season. The entire defense slipped a little toward the end of the season when both Troy and Ryan Clark were injured, but Ike held a high level of play throughout the season. He was, however, pretty bad in 2006. A lot of Steelers fans failed to realize that players can progress in their career and even to this day still view Ike as a mediocre corner. Oh well. He gets the job done.

As for Moss, his two notable drops actually came against a zone defense. The Steelers rarely run any man defense inside of the red zone, which is where Moss dropped the TD, so that cannot be pinned on Taylor. His second notable drop, in which Moss ran a post, was also against a zone defense. Ike will shadow a WR probably about 60% of the time outside of the red zone. Obviously, LeBeau isn't the type of coach that likes to keep things simple. He'll switch up his tactics quite often throughout a game. TO will see some zone coverage, a few doubles, and a lot of Ike Taylor. That's just my guess.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2458583 said:
COWBOYS WR'S:

Terrell Owens: 6'3 and 220

Roy Williams: 6'3 and 220

Patrick Crayton: 6' and 206

Jason Witten: 6'5 and 266

Martellus Bennett: 6'5 and 252

STEELERS CB'S:

Ike Taylor: 6'2 and 195

Deshea Townsend: 5'10 and 190(is 33 and injuried, may play)

Bryant McFadden: 6' and 190(injuried and may play)

William Gay: 5'10 and 190

STEELERS LINEBACKERS:

Lamar Woodley: 6'2 and 265

James Farrior: 6'2 and 243

Larry Foote: 6'1 and 238

James Harrison: 6' and 242

IMO, I think the Cowboys can take advantage of their size and speed to get big plays especially against their smaller CB's.

I don't care what anybody thinks, there is no one Steelers CB is covering T.O. one-on-one which should leave Roy Williams and Crayton one-on-one. Also I think Witten should see some action by getting him matched up with the smaller Harrison and Foote in coverage.

Just a little food for thought here, guys.

There's no way that the Steelers can match up with our offense.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
I hope that the Steelers are feeling just as confident in Ike as SteelManiac. I am glad they had such a dominant game against New England and hope they can simply shadow Roy and TO while they really prepare for Baltimore.

It will be a tough game but I can't wait to watch this one. The coaching staff seems to have been making changes and adjusting, the defense is more aggressive, the offense is back to being potent... and best of all is we should not be favored in any of the last couple games. No cruise control, no gimme game, no taking anything for granted.

SteelManiac55

Reaction score
Velvet Jones;2459033 said:
I hope that the Steelers are feeling just as confident in Ike as SteelManiac. I am glad they had such a dominant game against New England and hope they can simply shadow Roy and TO while they really prepare for Baltimore.

It will be a tough game but I can't wait to watch this one. The coaching staff seems to have been making changes and adjusting, the defense is more aggressive, the offense is back to being potent... and best of all is we should not be favored in any of the last couple games. No cruise control, no gimme game, no taking anything for granted.

At this point why would I not have confidence in the Steelers defense? I can admit faults on my favorite teams - the Steelers offensive line is sub-par, the running game (especially in short yardage) has been mediocre, Big Ben has made some questionable decisions, etc. However, the defense has been absolutely stellar. I have absolute confidence that the defense will get the job done week in and week out. They are number one across the board - that would tend to instill a bit of confidence in a fan base. I'll remain confident in this defense until some team gives me a reason to feel differently.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
SteelManiac55;2459038 said:
At this point why would I not have confidence in the Steelers defense? I can admit faults on my favorite teams - the Steelers offensive line is sub-par, the running game (especially in short yardage) has been mediocre, Big Ben has made some questionable decisions, etc. However, the defense has been absolutely stellar. I have absolute confidence that the defense will get the job done week in and week out. They are number one across the board - that would tend to instill a bit of confidence in a fan base. I'll remain confident in this defense until some team gives me a reason to feel differently.

:star: :steelers:

yall going to get exposed this week.

Reaction score
theebs;2458949 said:
Seeing that your a t-new fan you should realize height means nothing.

Newman has said many times that he has been playing against taller wr his whole life and its not a problem.

I am sure all corners feel the same way. IN the redzone I would think it would hold some water though. We are bigger than everyone in the redzone.

The Owens-witten-bennett-williams combo down there is a big group to defend. And when austin comes back, he is tall and has olympic leaping abilities.

Newman was also a top five pick unlike the Steelers CB's. Newman is an all-around athlethe that uses his speed and jumping ability to make up for his size.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2459140 said:
Newman was also a top five pick unlike the Steelers CB's. Newman is an all-around athlethe that uses his speed and jumping ability to make up for his size.

where your picked in the draft means nothing.

Only a monetary relationship exists with what kind of player you are and where you are picked.

If you have watched the nfl for a while u should know that, and just watching this team with romo, ratliff, austin, barber, crayton etc.....should emphasize that point.

Size wont matter.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2459040 said:
:star: :steelers:

yall going to get exposed this week.

no one will expose them because they are solid at every spot. Unlike us they have two safeties who make plays.

Doesnt mean we cant win, but exposing them is a silly word and a silly way to phrase that.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
SteelManiac55;2459038 said:

Not argueing that the defense is not good. You have a fnatastic defense this season playing at a fantastic level. I just like the over confidence in thinking your CB can man on TO without help. That type of thinking is what I hope from the Steelers this week. If the Steelers play man on TO with no help, you truely think Ike would have the better game? You truely think the CB play is what is making your defense so deadly? Saying Ike is not as elite as you like to think is not saying the Steeler D is not elite. I definitely give props.