CowboysZone Movie Genre Tournament Feedback Thread (Winner Post 342)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ya know, we could have used a Comedy/Horror category with Shaun of the Dead, Big *** Spider, Grabbers, 8 Legged Freaks, The Evil Dead trilogy, Zombieland, etc.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Thing is close but Alien adds the element of the lack of escape, it's almost claustrophobic in some of the shots, the walls are close in and there's nowhere to run or hide and with The Thing, I didn't get that feeling of superior intelligence, just the ability to morph within the host. In Alien, whatever they could think of, it had already thought of, it was always one step ahead.

Alien also supplied unsolved mysteries, just a few being what did it eat, why did it have a mouth like that, what happened to Harry Dean Stanton, why did it cocoon Tom Skerritt (only in the extended version and also in the book) when there was no egg on board and other ones they didn't want to explain. One thing in the book that was evident that the film did not portray enough until the Director's Cut was the true horror, the enemy was more intelligent than it's prey, the most horrifying element for any human, masters of our own universe, to accept.

Alien and The Thing are very close in one regard and this is a sticking point to me, no horror movie should make attempts at humor, don't let me off the hook, keep me on the edge and not knowing what to expect next and keep that sick feeling of dread. They were both excellent at that.

That was the main difference between Alien and Aliens to me besides Aliens felt like an adventure/action film and I'd already seen the monster, that anticipation was gone but the answer to "what's laying these eggs" that Ripley asked would be answered. Cameron lightened Aliens with some one liners and Hudson was like having Pat Brady along with Roy Rogers. He really did fill out that film into the best adventure/action one I've even seen. And it was exactly the right amount at the right time unlike Roland Emmerich's poorly played attempts at humor with Smith and Goldblum on the ship in ID4.

I must apologize for not nominating the ultimate horror film made even more horrifying by the writer upstaging Stephen King with the ending, even King gave that a nod as ballsy as it gets. The Mist is truly a masterpiece at every level. Put a bunch of other world monsters in a mist outside and a bunch of people with a crazyass zealot with uncanny persuasiveness inside and wrap that up with that ending and you've got the horror homer, my fine friend full of fear. I did not see it at the theater but my son did and he said he's not seen a stunned audience like that in any movie he's ever seen. It's as if they were trying to make sense of it, did that really just happen. The ultimate horror was the ending.
I will give The Thing the edge over Alien but this part you wrote:

"One thing in the book that was evident that the film did not portray enough until the Director's Cut was the true horror, the enemy was more intelligent than it's prey, the most horrifying element for any human, masters of our own universe, to accept."

...is something I truly enjoyed reading. Good stuff and true. Thank you.

Aliens IS Action/Adventure and I do not feel anyone should criticize that widely held assessment as a 'dismissal' of it not being horror. Action/Adventure is a James Cameron gold standard that made him a worldwide household name. The Terminator. Terminator 2. The Abyss. True Lies. Avatar. Cameron is an Action/Adventure directing master...

AND SO HELP ME I WILL BENCH ANYONE WHO MENTIONS CAMERON AND HIS LAME "I'M KING OF THE WORLD!" ROMANTIC DRAMA TITANIC TO ME! :mad::mad::mad::p

...and his work is quite evident in Aliens. Yes. HIs template for the creatures is scary. Ridley Scott established that already but the movie's primary rush was a combination of soldier versus aliens action and the visual sequences of humans (e.g. Adventure) attempting to escape an alien world filled with them. That is not an insult thrown at the horror genre. It is a tribute to Cameron's genius.

I am a BIG fan of The Mist. The original, not so much the sequel, but I think we both know how I feel about it being 'the ultimate horror movie'. :D The MIst deserved being nominated for the tournament though. Maybe it will have a chance down the road in a Horror genre only tournament..?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ya know, we could have used a Comedy/Horror category with Shaun of the Dead, Big *** Spider, Grabbers, 8 Legged Freaks, The Evil Dead trilogy, Zombieland, etc.
Agreed BUT ONLY if it is Comedy slash Horror for five reasons:
  1. I agree Shaun of the Dead is also horror but consider it more as a comedy
  2. I agree with IMDB Eight Legged Freaks and Zombieland are Comedy, Action and/or Adventure and/or Fantasy and NOT horror but understand some disagree
  3. I have never seen Spider or Grabbers so who knows how I might feel about either
  4. That The Evil Dead films ARE horror
  5. Introduce more slash categories to continually piss off @YosemiteSam :p

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The fact that sillyass Brit twit comedy even made it out of the first round makes me wonder about my fellow voters but to make it to the final 4 is unforgivable. You should all be ashamed of yourselves. I'll bet most of you have bad Brit teeth.
:laugh:

Shrek was my top nominated comedic movie and the Holy Grail is not on my ballot list but I may should feel ashamed for my particular sense of humor. :muttley:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed BUT ONLY if it is Comedy slash Horror for five reasons:
  1. I agree Shaun of the Dead is also horror but consider it more as a comedy
  2. I agree with IMDB Eight Legged Freaks and Zombieland are Comedy, Action and/or Adventure and/or Fantasy and NOT horror but understand some disagree
  3. I have never seen Spider or Grabbers so who knows how I might feel about either
  4. That The Evil Dead films ARE horror
  5. Introduce more slash categories to continually piss off @YosemiteSam :p
Now, we have to disagree about the Evil Dead as they are the perfect Horror + Comedy with intentional comedy camera work on faces.

Grabbers is one of the most entertaining and cleverly done Horror + Comedy movies I have ever seen. The creatures are in Ireland, there is a pub, there is a drunk named Paddy and alcohol is poisonous to the creatures. You can take it from there but if you get the chance to see it, it's a great time with some laugh out loud moments in the midst of the horror.

timb2

Reaction score
Dayam boy, fix me up with one of them Fillerpeener vehiculars. I may consider moving to a country that sells hot women with their cars. Gives new meaning to terms "options" and "loaded".
YES!!!WE HAVE 2ND VOTE FOR BATTLE OF THE CAR SHOW BABES. Just envision Sweden, Brazil, Russia, Japan, Italy,USA!!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This thread is the CowboysZone Movie Genre Tournament Feedback.

Let us keep it to that so everyone can continue enjoying the thread and not get benched for attractive woman in cars.

An even more important reminder is site rule #7.

Not sure what site rule #7 is? Look it up. The link for site rules is always located at the top of every page.

No
images of government officials should be posted on CowboysZone. Anywhere on the site. Ever.

This reminder will not be repeated either on the forum or discussed through private conversation.

Checking back out. Will log back in later.

Thread re-opened.

cowboyec

Reaction score
This thread is the CowboysZone Movie Genre Tournament Feedback.

Let us keep it to that so everyone can continue enjoying the thread and not get benched for attractive woman in cars.

An even more important reminder is site rule #7.

Not sure what site rule #7 is? Look it up. The link for site rules is always located at the top of every page.

No
images of government officials should be posted on CowboysZone. Anywhere on the site. Ever.

This reminder will not be repeated either on the forum or discussed through private conversation.

Checking back out. Will log back in later.

Thread re-opened.
i leave just for awhile and they act like a bunch of damn teenagers who just found their parents credit cards.
can't even have lunch.

cowboyec

Reaction score
idea for what would be the SINGLE GREATEST TOURNAMENT....
:starspin:EVER:starspin:
(inarguable when surrounded by rotating star)

A tournament...bracket style....to determine Elvis' GREATEST song.
4 regions:
•rock n roll
•country
•gospel
•love songs
or
•50's
•60's
•70's
•best of the rest

GREATEST.
TOURNEY.
E:bow:L:bow:V:bow:I:bow:S

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
idea for what would be the SINGLE GREATEST TOURNAMENT....
(inarguable when surrounded by rotating star)

A tournament...bracket style....to determine Elvis' GREATEST song.
4 regions:
•rock n roll
•country
•gospel
•love songs
or
•50's
•60's
•70's
•best of the rest

GREATEST.
TOURNEY.