CowboysZone Movie Genre Tournament Feedback Thread (Winner Post 342)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
M2zBI1s.gif

quickccc

Reaction score
Yeah. No. I would recommend to anyone to not use custom lists for determining what the people behind IMDB think of a movie. I added the image below to help illustrate what I am saying.

w8Betdd.png

IMDB custom search lists tie info submitted from site contributors. Contributors can be in the entertainment industry or movie fans just like you and me. People submit their opinions of movies, television shows, etc. All that info gets dumped into a database that can generate search results like the above.

IMDB itself (in my experience) limits genre descriptions from one to three. It means that even though a search for 'sci-fi movies' will generate with Avengers: Endgame because one or more contributors sees the film as Sci-Fi and entered that description into IMDB's database. However, IMDB staff defines the movie as 'Action, Adventure, Drama'.

It is anyone's guess exactly how many genres would list with every IMDB movie if the site allowed contributors' definitions as the 'official' genres.
In this instance I support IMDB's description. Back when Thor: Ragnarok premiered, I posted my opinion of it in the Rate The Last Movie You Saw thread (link to my post), briefly stating, "...and many punchlines were strained in delivery." There was a large number of (not well delivered) punchlines in the movie in my view, far too many I think that the screenwriter, producer and director were not intentionally shooting for a really transparent comedic element throughout the film running side-by-side with the action and adventure storyline.

Certainly, you are not alone in that shared observation but I disagree. While I do agree they shot for a Guardians/Gunn atmosphere in Ragnarok, the strategy failed in my eyes.

There were trying too hard to be funny in my opinion. Good comedy, whether it is satirical, flat out funny, etc., should be effortless in presentation. It felt strained for me almost the entire two hours.

Thor: The Dark World has taken it on the chin a good bit. I have a different opinion of the movie and personally rate it above Ragnarok.
Talking movies is fun, even when people do not agree. And I do not agree about Volume 2. For me, Marvel has done a smash up job adapting comic to screen
. It is why I gave it an 8.75 out of 10 rating (link to my post)

In the comics, Thor, Captain Marvel and the Guardians deal in cosmic storylines.
Ego is a long established cosmic level character in the Marvel Universe. The Guardians and Ego was a perfect movie plot was a joy for me to watch. And I LOVED Kurt Russell playing the humanoid presentation of The Living Planet.

Even Gunn's tribute to the pre-reboot of the Guardians comic with Rocket, etc., as the main characters--with Ving Rhimes as Charlie-27 and Sylvester Stone as Starhawk and Martinex, etc.--seen during the Reavers funeral scene, really warmed my old comic book fan's heart. :)

Thanks for clarifying the custom listing search

- Gunn's use and portrayal of Ego, reminded me somewhat of the mess that was supposed to be Galactus in the Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. And i'm willing to bet that just like Galactus, the studios that they saw Ego the Living Planet as way too expensive or way too cartoonish risky to chance what Ego " should' have been in according to the Marvel's original origin of Ego the Living Planet.
Sorry that was me getting my huge expectations so high to the sky, before getting this surprising presentation and shaking my head in disbelief and disappointment towards the end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ego_the_Living_Planet
https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fandom.com/wiki/Ego

- i guess comedy comes objective and hits in different forms to observers. It can be spontaneous to some, while it can come dull and uninspiring to others. and i get that. i've experienced both sides of the aisle in that sense. i felt that comedy element forced and misplaced in both of director Tim Story's Fantastic Four disasters. and then to make matters worse the way Story and the studios decided to portray Galactus as an angry power cosmic " thunderstorm cloud "

- Yes Thor Captain Marvell and Guardians deal with that stream of the Asgardian, Kree/Skrulls, Thanos Elders of the Universe and the Celestials. BTW, Brie Larsen's Capt. Marvel was just awful and disappointing, imo. (so this is how Nick Fury loses his eye after all ? Yikes! )
if they had to do a sequel, i'd wish they'd at least re-cast Carol Danvers/Capt Marvel and get a new one besides Brie.
i dunno if i am in the minority of believing there could only two things that made Capt Marvel do surprisingly (shockingly?) well at the box office in opening weekend, domestic and internationally
1) it totally fed off the monster success of Avengers Infinitity War and its' clue hint that Capt. marvel was tied into future of End Game.
2) it's a marvel superhero movie and generally it is going get it's usual huge fan base to the box office.

- Imo, i still believe that there are some movies that go unappreciated and go under the radar, even when it's Marvel movies.
i guess Thor: Dark World would be one on your side of the fence ,, while others like " Daredevil " would one of those that i deemed as the
underappreciated.

- Ben Flick's Daredevil is one that i believe that has taken it on the chin as i see it, although i still think it's about a general hatred towards Affick than any of the points and comments that i every heard. they (critics/audience) did not like a black Kingpin vs the appearance in the comics, they thought the acting was bad, or did not like how the plot was portrayed (mind you it was extracted just like the comics , they did not like the park fight between Murdock vs Elektra, they didn't like Colin Farrell as Bullseye, etc) .. we can see further comments and criticism per Rotten Tomatoes, etc.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

- Gunn's use and portrayal of Ego, reminded me somewhat of the mess that was supposed to be Galactus in the Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. And i'm willing to bet that just like Galactus, the studios that they saw Ego the Living Planet as way too expensive or way too cartoonish risky to chance what Ego " should' have been in according to the Marvel's original origin of Ego the Living Planet.
Sorry that was me getting my huge expectations so high to the sky, before getting this surprising presentation and shaking my head in disbelief and disappointment towards the end.

- i guess comedy comes objective and hits in different forms to observers. It can be spontaneous to some, while it can come dull and uninspiring to others. and i get that. i've experienced both sides of the aisle in that sense. i felt that comedy element forced and misplaced in both of director Tim Story's Fantastic Four disasters. and then to make matters worse the way Story and the studios decided to portray Galactus as an angry power cosmic " thunderstorm cloud "

- Yes Thor Captain Marvell and Guardians deal with that stream of the Asgardian, Kree/Skrulls, Thanos Elders of the Universe and the Celestials. BTW, Brie Larsen's Capt. Marvel was just awful and disappointing, imo. (so this is how Nick Fury loses his eye after all ? Yikes! )
if they had to do a sequel, i'd wish they'd at least re-cast Carol Danvers/Capt Marvel and get a new one besides Brie.
i dunno if i am in the minority of believing there could only two things that made Capt Marvel do surprisingly (shockingly?) well at the box office in opening weekend, domestic and internationally
1) it totally fed off the monster success of Avengers Infinitity War and its' clue hint that Capt. marvel was tied into future of End Game.
2) it's a marvel superhero movie and generally it is going get it's usual huge fan base to the box office.

- Imo, i still believe that there are some movies that go unappreciated and go under the radar, even when it's Marvel movies.
i guess Thor: Dark World would be one on your side of the fence ,, while others like " Daredevil " would one of those that i deemed as the
underappreciated.

- Ben Flick's Daredevil is one that i believe that has taken it on the chin as i see it, although i still think it's about a general hatred towards Affick than any of the points and comments that i every heard. they (critics/audience) did not like a black Kingpin vs the appearance in the comics, they thought the acting was bad, or did not like how the plot was portrayed (mind you it was extracted just like the comics , they did not like the park fight between Murdock vs Elektra, they didn't like Colin Farrell as Bullseye, etc) .. we can see further comments and criticism per Rotten Tomatoes, etc.
Maybe your dislike of Brie Larson in the role has something to do with your expectations after reading the comics. I knew very little about Captain Marvel until the movie, and I liked her a lot.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
vince everett...from jailhouse rock.
chad gates...from blue hawaii.
lucky jackson...from viva las vegas.
E:bow:L:bow:V:bow:I:bow:S
:grin:

I had a quick question for you that I'm curious about. As a big Elvis fan, what are your opinions of Elvis tribute artists or 'impersonators' for lack of a better term? Do you like and appreciate them and have you seen many/any?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I had a quick question for you that I'm curious about. As a big Elvis fan, what are your opinions of Elvis tribute artists or 'impersonators' for lack of a better term? Do you like and appreciate them and have you seen many/any?
I feel like I'm watching a talk show right now...."Ooh, good question!" :laugh:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I keep forgetting to check out the tallies, because when a thread is no longer in bold letters, I just figure there's nothing new added to it. lol

But Aliens was so much better than Alien. It'd be a shame if there was an upset.
As an action film, I agree, it's my favorite and has all of the ingredients including some humor but as a true horror film, Alien beats it and set the standard for that kind of film. I've never seen any film better at putting the viewer on the edge of their seat and not letting them get off it because it was the ultimate film to make us go "oh ****, what's next"?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

underappreciated.

First, I must say we 100% agree on the space cloud disaster of Galactus in Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. I support some degree or re-imagination by a screenwriter or director when a fictional concept might be too 'fantastical' for general audiences to profitably grasp. Galactus' transformation from an immensely tall, silent, seemingly omnipotent character into sentient organized space debris was a catastrophically bad leap of creative conception in my opinion.

On the other hand, I see the Ego's re-envisioning as profoundly smart. Jack Kirby's concept was not abandoned in Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2. The living planet is still there in all its glory during the movie's third Act. Audiences are given hints of Ego's true form and nature during the second Act also. However, the main mortal Guardian characters allowed to interact with a re-imagined Ego as a mortal looking Celestial. The effort does not 'dumb down' Ego for the general audience. It helps slowly educate the majority of the general audience, who may know little or nothing about Ego, as the movie progresses, while not insulting the intelligence of the film's core audience.

I do agree somewhat about Tim Story and comedy application in his movies. He does much better directing humor in actual comedy movies like Think Like A Man and Barbershop or dramas with an integrated slight comedic theme like Shaft and Hurricane Season. He does more poorly with directing comedy in comic book adaptations. The 'World's Greatest Fighting Team' comic has always been familial based. For decades, the FF's humor was centered in the everyday relationship bonds of husband/wife, brother/sister, in-laws and truly best friends. Story tried capturing that dynamic on screen and made it more cartoonish than necessary. Other translations were also poor, like Sue Storm, one of the most powerful characters not only in her team but in ALL Marvel, experiencing nosebleeds and swooning in the use of her powers. Makes me shake my head so I will stop talking about it before a headache hits. :p

Disagree about Brie Larson's casting. LOVED her as Captain Marvel in both her title and Avengers: Endgame. Heck, I thought her post-credit scene at the end of her movie, where she pops in on the Avengers' discussion of Nick Fury's pager, was great. Sometimes I replay Captain Marvel and simply fast forward to the end just for that one scene lol.

Captain Marvel was a prequel to the entire MCU movies to that point. The audience gets to see Nick Fury before he becomes head of SHIELD, so the explanation of Fury eye 'fits' the timeline perfectly in my opinion. Same goes for the specific occurrence of his injury. What the <expletive> is a Flerken and why was he not smart enough to immediately adopt the apprehension of a Skrull to it? Oh that scene at Maria's dining room table:

Fury (playing with the Flerken like a cat): "That was a close call, huh, Goosey? Huh? The bad guy's still in there somewhere...
[Goose surprises Nick and scratches his eye]
Fury: "Oh! MOTHER FLERKEN!!!"
Maria: "You okay?"
Fury: "Yeah. It's just a scratch."
[Skrull looks at Nick's injury and furiously shakes his head 'no']

I almost died laughing! :laugh: What to know something I did not like about Captain Marvel? Answer: the use of CGI to make a seventy-year old man look as if he is in his late thirties or early forties. I adore Samuel L. but that was poorly done and audiences (or at least I) saw it the entire movie. Maybe it could have been done better. Chris Evans' transformation from puny human into superhero was pretty freaking well done in Captain America: The First Avenger. Perhaps the exact same CGI method was not applied in Captain Marvel? I do not know. What I do know is that my mind kept wandering back to 'that is NOT a young Nick Fury' throughout the movie.

Just my opinion but I *think* the Captain Marvel's overall audience simply clicked with the movie. My fandom for the character goes as far back as him being a Kree MAN, lol, and I enjoyed the film. I have read and understood (at least some of) the misgivings some portions of the audience had with it. The same can be said of the reaction to a barely two minute scene of all female superheroes onscreen in Avengers: Endgame--within a 182-minute movie. :muttley:Who knows why the movie did so well? There are lots of opinions. In my mind, Larsen and her character's true popularity will be tested and/or proven when the sequel is released.

Please. Do not get me started on Daredevil. I still want to stab someone in the eye for making it. I would have given it a worse grade if not for Jennifer Garner's portrayal as Elektra. Then I think of her movie AS Elektra and I get physically ill. :mad: Thankfully, Marvel and Netflix's redeemed the character and his comic book title with audiences in the television series. THAT was Daredevil and his world. Even Elodie Yung's role as Elektra in the series and in The Defenders captured Matt Murdock's soulmate onscreen in its true essence.

As far as Ben Affleck is concerned, my hope is that he does not play any more comic superheroes. I was very disappointed with him as Murdock but thought I would give him another chance as Bruce Wayne. Affleck's Wayne and Batman were passable in my opinion but not by a significant degree for me. I have wondered if his alcoholism has influenced his acting at times but I end up racking my displeasure with him in both cases as just not liking his performances.

Edit: On second thought, perhaps Affleck will consider playing a comic book villain if there is another opportunity? Maybe a Norman Osborn type? Or a Brainiac? The more I think of it, the more I think Affleck could be a great emotionless Brainiac...

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As an action film, I agree, it's my favorite and has all of the ingredients including some humor but as a true horror film, Alien beats it and set the standard for that kind of film. I've never seen any film better at putting the viewer on the edge of their seat and not letting them get off it because it was the ultimate film to make us go "oh ****, what's next"?
I agree completely except with 'edge of their seat'. I think John Carpenter's The Thing edges (lol) out Alien in that sense.

Slightly related comment: Both Alien and The Thing capitalizes on viewer apprehension with their respective isolated environments. Alien = ship in outer space. The Thing = base in Antarctica. What makes people feel more anxious than a combination of loneliness and dread?

cowboyec

Reaction score
yes.
david lee is probably my favorite.
really nice guy...i've gotten to know him.
he's from alabama...big Elvis fan.
we brought him here to okc to perform for my wife's b-day party.
he really gets the audience involved.
does viva las vegas and makes everyone get in a conga line.
tim 'e' hendry is also really good.
dwight icenhower does a great tribute.
those are the best i've seen in person.

bill cherry,dean z and shawn klush are 3 that i'd really like to see.

all of them are really big Elvis fans...so i respect what they're doin'.
they do great tributes and put on excellent shows.

nobody

Reaction score
I think we all know it's gonna be "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly" as the final winner. Anything else is probably rigged. lol

((Though personally I like The Empire Strikes Back better.))

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@cowboyec, my friend, I wanted you to know I am thinking about ya. You have well-established your affinity for The Good, The Bad And The Ugly. And Eastwood too. :p

The movie stomped Once Upon A Time In The West in Round One, barely edged Unforgiven in the Sweet 16, recovered somewhat in the Elite 8 defeating Tombstone, and would not surprisingly win over Monty Python And The Holy Grail in the Final Four. So far. So good.

I love both Alien and Episode V. That said, I would be shocked if Empire did not advance to the championship round.

If I were you, I would consider the possibility of your prediction of the tournament's ultimate winner as possibly premature. All movie fans are not Star Wars fans. Even so, I think it is a fair assessment saying there have been few movies in history more beloved by movie fans around the world, consistently for decades, than the films that make up the Star Wars franchise.

And it can be argued The Empire Strikes Back is looked at as the best of them all.

Just saying. You have hyped The Good, The Bad And The Ugly from before the beginning of the tournament. The hype has given me that 2007 New England season vibe. And we all know what happened when the Patriots met the Giants in the Super Bowl that season...

;) :)

cowboyec

Reaction score
@cowboyec, my friend, I wanted you to know I am thinking about ya. You have well-established your affinity for The Good, The Bad And The Ugly. And Eastwood too. :p

The movie stomped Once Upon A Time In The West in Round One, barely edged Unforgiven in the Sweet 16, recovered somewhat in the Elite 8 defeating Tombstone, and would not surprisingly win over Monty Python And The Holy Grail in the Final Four. So far. So good.

I love both Alien and Episode V. That said, I would be shocked if Empire did not advance to the championship round.

If I were you, I would consider the possibility of your prediction of the tournament's ultimate winner as possibly premature. All movie fans are not Star Wars fans. Even so, I think it is a fair assessment saying there have been few movies in history more beloved by movie fans around the world, consistently for decades, than the films that make up the Star Wars franchise.

And it can be argued The Empire Strikes Back is looked at as the best of them all.

Just saying. You have hyped The Good, The Bad And The Ugly from before the beginning of the tournament. The hype has given me that 2007 New England season vibe. And we all know what happened when the Patriots met the Giants in the Super Bowl that season...

;) :)
my eye is twitchin' again...like Eastwood.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think we all know it's gonna be "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly" as the final winner. Anything else is probably rigged. lol

((Though personally I like The Empire Strikes Back better.))
LOL!

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/nex...loting-has-ended.459816/page-13#post-10275223

Well. I have zero clue what 'we' all know but I know I nominated The Empire Strikes Back at #2, The Good, The Bad And the Ugly at #14 and Alien only a slot behind Eastwood's classic.

I will just wait-and-see how this whole thing plays out. :D

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree completely except with 'edge of their seat'. I think John Carpenter's The Thing edges (lol) out Alien in that sense.

Slightly related comment: Both Alien and The Thing capitalizes on viewer apprehension with their respective isolated environments. Alien = ship in outer space. The Thing = base in Antarctica. What makes people feel more anxious than a combination of loneliness and dread?
The Thing is close but Alien adds the element of the lack of escape, it's almost claustrophobic in some of the shots, the walls are close in and there's nowhere to run or hide and with The Thing, I didn't get that feeling of superior intelligence, just the ability to morph within the host. In Alien, whatever they could think of, it had already thought of, it was always one step ahead.

Alien also supplied unsolved mysteries, just a few being what did it eat, why did it have a mouth like that, what happened to Harry Dean Stanton, why did it cocoon Tom Skerritt (only in the extended version and also in the book) when there was no egg on board and other ones they didn't want to explain. One thing in the book that was evident that the film did not portray enough until the Director's Cut was the true horror, the enemy was more intelligent than it's prey, the most horrifying element for any human, masters of our own universe, to accept.

Alien and The Thing are very close in one regard and this is a sticking point to me, no horror movie should make attempts at humor, don't let me off the hook, keep me on the edge and not knowing what to expect next and keep that sick feeling of dread. They were both excellent at that.

That was the main difference between Alien and Aliens to me besides Aliens felt like an adventure/action film and I'd already seen the monster, that anticipation was gone but the answer to "what's laying these eggs" that Ripley asked would be answered. Cameron lightened Aliens with some one liners and Hudson was like having Pat Brady along with Roy Rogers. He really did fill out that film into the best adventure/action one I've even seen. And it was exactly the right amount at the right time unlike Roland Emmerich's poorly played attempts at humor with Smith and Goldblum on the ship in ID4.

I must apologize for not nominating the ultimate horror film made even more horrifying by the writer upstaging Stephen King with the ending, even King gave that a nod as ballsy as it gets. The Mist is truly a masterpiece at every level. Put a bunch of other world monsters in a mist outside and a bunch of people with a crazyass zealot with uncanny persuasiveness inside and wrap that up with that ending and you've got the horror homer, my fine friend full of fear. I did not see it at the theater but my son did and he said he's not seen a stunned audience like that in any movie he's ever seen. It's as if they were trying to make sense of it, did that really just happen. The ultimate horror was the ending.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The fact that sillyass Brit twit comedy even made it out of the first round makes me wonder about my fellow voters but to make it to the final 4 is unforgivable. You should all be ashamed of yourselves. I'll bet most of you have bad Brit teeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.