CowboysZone Movie Genre Tournament Feedback Thread (Winner Post 342)

Status
Not open for further replies.

quickccc

Reaction score
This may be solely my opinion but I think any movie dedicating a significant amount of dialogue on telling jokes is a comedy first and any relational genre second.
Maybe I am looking at another part of IMDB but it lists Avengers: Endgame as Action, Adventure, Drama for me. The the main Asgard films, IMDB genre definitions are:

Thor - Action, Adventure, Fantasy
Thor: The Dark World - Action, Adventure, Fantasy
Thor: Ragnarok - Action, Adventure, Comedy

I have zero argument with IMDB.The Thor character has always been magical based and the adaptations did that really well. NO argument with Ragnarok's label as comedy either. The main reason why the third installment soured on me was its transparent attempt to a different version of the humorous Guardians films. It tried too hard in my opinion. Ragnarok would have gotten a lower grade from me if not for Cate Blanchett's great job as Hela.

Speaking of the Guardians, IMDB satisfied me with its genre labels also:

Guardians of the Galaxy - Action, Adventure, Comedy
Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2 - Action, Adventure, Comedy

Both are solid action and adventure but its trademark is the excellent comedic timing between the characters. Now a look at IMDB's sci-fi genre labels for some of the MCU movies:

Captain Marvel - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Spider-Man: Far From Home - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Avengers: Infinity War - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Black Panther - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Spider-Man: Homecoming - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Captain America: Civil War - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Avengers: Age of Ultron - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Captain America: The First Avenger - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Iron Man 3 - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Iron Man 2 - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Iron Man - Action, Adventure, Sci Fi
The Avengers - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
The Incredible Hulk - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi

It could be argued IMB's definition of science fiction, "Numerous scenes, and/or the entire background for the setting of the narrative, should be based on speculative scientific discoveries or developments" can be applied fully to each of the above. Take any of those fourteen movies and each act making up those movies are populated with scenes of a scientific nature such as:

Tony Stark technology
SHIELD technology
Dr Erskine and/or Dr. Zola/Hydra technology
Wakanda technology
Dr Banner research and application
Kree and Skrull technology
Even including Vulture/Mysterio and henchmen technology

Science fiction permeates them all of these examples but is not inclusive of all superhero based movies. Doctor Strange is another example of primarily Action, Adventure, Fantasy genre. The DCEU has some of the same in Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Suicide Squad. Shazam (still on my personal boycott list) is primarily Action, Adventure, Comedy per IMDB. Joker is even farther outside those mentioned so far as Crime, Drama, Thriller. However, Man of Steel and Batman v Superman acts are heavily seeded with Kryptonian or Wayne technology scenes, so Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi defined movies are not absent from the DCEU either. Or I should say I think all of the movies labeled as Sci-Fi by IMDB can be legitimately described (at least partially) as science fiction films.

Thanks for your effort and sharing; :thumbup:

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?...000,&sort=user_rating,desc&title_type=feature

Above is the link where i saw IMDB listing Avengers End Game as Sci- FI

i would have argument with IMDBs' interpretation of tagging Thor Ragnorak as a "comedy" , it;s not Shazam which aim is to be comedy-oriented. There's a difference between a superhero movie with comedy in it. but those moments are secondary, it's the superhero characteristics, superpowers and utilization of them, villain element and plot that come first, and then it's laden with some comedy elements in spots and moments, but if the comedy moments are so overwhelming to certain viewers

- Guardian of the Galaxy with every turn with jokes, one liners, characters that are always in a humorous run either in intent (Rocketeer) or by accident ( Drax the Destroyer) put in a stand alone uniqueness that was a first with Marvel - and it was because of their work and unique ways
that producers decide to gamble and place Thor in that same type of James Gunn/Guardian format .... and it worked masterfully !
And not just comedy element but also the music sound track - both Guardian triumphs;
the first Thor was a original that introduced the God of Thunder, Asgard, Odin and Loki but i can't really say it was a memorable stand out.

- the 2nd Thor movie was so forgettable - all i can remember is the villain Kurse, i saw it once and never was urged to see it again.
they just did not make the additional characters, villains and story write plot interesting at all . ..nuthin' stood out at all.

- the irony ? While GOG (guardian) was an instant smash, i was disappointed in Gunn's work with the 2nd GOG movie with the ridiculous
villain EGO (kurt russell) who is actually an " living " entire planet as a villain, but Gunn cheaply made Ego a effortless joke in the 2nd film.
besides the usual Rocketeer, Star-Lord, and Drax one liner and joke moments, i got nuthin memorable out of the 2nd Guardian film.

:rolleyes:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks for your effort and sharing; :thumbup:

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?...000,&sort=user_rating,desc&title_type=feature

Above is the link where i saw IMDB listing Avengers End Game as Sci- FI
Yeah. No. I would recommend to anyone to not use custom lists for determining what the people behind IMDB think of a movie. I added the image below to help illustrate what I am saying.

w8Betdd.png

IMDB custom search lists tie info submitted from site contributors. Contributors can be in the entertainment industry or movie fans just like you and me. People submit their opinions of movies, television shows, etc. All that info gets dumped into a database that can generate search results like the above.

IMDB itself (in my experience) limits genre descriptions from one to three. It means that even though a search for 'sci-fi movies' will generate with Avengers: Endgame because one or more contributors sees the film as Sci-Fi and entered that description into IMDB's database. However, IMDB staff defines the movie as 'Action, Adventure, Drama'.

It is anyone's guess exactly how many genres would list with every IMDB movie if the site allowed contributors' definitions as the 'official' genres.
i would have argument with IMDBs' interpretation of tagging Thor Ragnorak as a "comedy" , it;s not Shazam which aim is to be comedy-oriented. There's a difference between a superhero movie with comedy in it. but those moments are secondary, it's the superhero characteristics, superpowers and utilization of them, villain element and plot that come first, and then it's laden with some comedy elements in spots and moments, but if the comedy moments are so overwhelming to certain viewers
In this instance I support IMDB's description. Back when Thor: Ragnarok premiered, I posted my opinion of it in the Rate The Last Movie You Saw thread (link to my post), briefly stating, "...and many punchlines were strained in delivery." There was a large number of (not well delivered) punchlines in the movie in my view, far too many I think that the screenwriter, producer and director were not intentionally shooting for a really transparent comedic element throughout the film running side-by-side with the action and adventure storyline.

- Guardian of the Galaxy with every turn with jokes, one liners, characters that are always in a humorous run either in intent (Rocketeer) or by accident ( Drax the Destroyer) put in a stand alone uniqueness that was a first with Marvel - and it was because of their work and unique ways
that producers decide to gamble and place Thor in that same type of James Gunn/Guardian format .... and it worked masterfully !
And not just comedy element but also the music sound track - both Guardian triumphs;
the first Thor was a original that introduced the God of Thunder, Asgard, Odin and Loki but i can't really say it was a memorable stand out.
Certainly, you are not alone in that shared observation but I disagree. While I do agree they shot for a Guardians/Gunn atmosphere in Ragnarok, the strategy failed in my eyes.

There were trying too hard to be funny in my opinion. Good comedy, whether it is satirical, flat out funny, etc., should be effortless in presentation. It felt strained for me almost the entire two hours.
- the 2nd Thor movie was so forgettable - all i can remember is the villain Kurse, i saw it once and never was urged to see it again.
they just did not make the additional characters, villains and story write plot interesting at all . ..nuthin' stood out at all.
Thor: The Dark World has taken it on the chin a good bit. I have a different opinion of the movie and personally rate it above Ragnarok.
- the irony ? While GOG (guardian) was an instant smash, i was disappointed in Gunn's work with the 2nd GOG movie with the ridiculous
villain EGO (kurt russell) who is actually an " living " entire planet as a villain, but Gunn cheaply made Ego a effortless joke in the 2nd film.
besides the usual Rocketeer, Star-Lord, and Drax one liner and joke moments, i got nuthin memorable out of the 2nd Guardian film.

:rolleyes:
Talking movies is fun, even when people do not agree. And I do not agree about Volume 2. For me, Marvel has done a smash up job adapting comic to screen. It is why I gave it an 8.75 out of 10 rating (link to my post)

In the comics, Thor, Captain Marvel and the Guardians deal in cosmic storylines. Ego is a long established cosmic level character in the Marvel Universe. The Guardians and Ego was a perfect movie plot was a joy for me to watch. And I LOVED Kurt Russell playing the humanoid presentation of The Living Planet.

Even Gunn's tribute to the pre-reboot of the Guardians comic with Rocket, etc., as the main characters--with Ving Rhimes as Charlie-27 and Sylvester Stone as Starhawk and Martinex, etc.--seen during the Reavers funeral scene, really warmed my old comic book fan's heart. :)

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yeah. No. I would recommend to anyone to not use custom lists for determining what the people behind IMDB think of a movie. I added the image below to help illustrate what I am saying.

w8Betdd.png

IMDB custom search lists tie info submitted from site contributors. Contributors can be in the entertainment industry or movie fans just like you and me. People submit their opinions of movies, television shows, etc. All that info gets dumped into a database that can generate search results like the above.

IMDB itself (in my experience) limits genre descriptions from one to three. It means that even though a search for 'sci-fi movies' will generate with Avengers: Endgame because one or more contributors sees the film as Sci-Fi and entered that description into IMDB's database. However, IMDB staff defines the movie as 'Action, Adventure, Drama'.

It is anyone's guess exactly how many genres would list with every IMDB movie if the site allowed contributors' definitions as the 'official' genres.
In this instance I support IMDB's description. Back when Thor: Ragnarok premiered, I posted my opinion of it in the Rate The Last Movie You Saw thread (link to my post), briefly stating, "...and many punchlines were strained in delivery." There was a large number of (not well delivered) punchlines in the movie in my view, far too many I think that the screenwriter, producer and director were not intentionally shooting for a really transparent comedic element throughout the film running side-by-side with the action and adventure storyline.

Certainly, you are not alone in that shared observation but I disagree. While I do agree they shot for a Guardians/Gunn atmosphere in Ragnarok, the strategy failed in my eyes.

There were trying too hard to be funny in my opinion. Good comedy, whether it is satirical, flat out funny, etc., should be effortless in presentation. It felt strained for me almost the entire two hours.
Thor: The Dark World has taken it on the chin a good bit. I have a different opinion of the movie and personally rate it above Ragnarok.
Talking movies is fun, even when people do not agree. And I do not agree about Volume 2. For me, Marvel has done a smash up job adapting comic to screen. It is why I gave it an 8.75 out of 10 rating (link to my post)

In the comics, Thor, Captain Marvel and the Guardians deal in cosmic storylines. Ego is a long established cosmic level character in the Marvel Universe. The Guardians and Ego was a perfect movie plot was a joy for me to watch. And I LOVED Kurt Russell playing the humanoid presentation of The Living Planet.

Even Gunn's tribute to the pre-reboot of the Guardians comic with Rocket, etc., as the main characters--with Ving Rhimes as Charlie-27 and Sylvester Stone as Starhawk and Martinex, etc.--seen during the Reavers funeral scene, really warmed my old comic book fan's heart. :)

When Hulk showed up and Thor said, "I know him from work!".........That was hilarious. It was a line suggested by the kid of one of the producers, I think.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

When Hulk showed up and Thor said, "I know him from work!".........That was hilarious. It was a line suggested by the kid of one of the producers, I think.
I cannot disagree. That was one of the few jokes I did not complain about.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Will Aliens join Die Hard as a #1 seed upset before reaching the Final Four? Only more two hours to go. Stay tuned.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Will Aliens join Die Hard as a #1 seed upset before reaching the Final Four? Only more two hours to go. Stay tuned.
I keep forgetting to check out the tallies, because when a thread is no longer in bold letters, I just figure there's nothing new added to it. lol

But Aliens was so much better than Alien. It'd be a shame if there was an upset.

quickccc

Reaction score

yep ,..i agree. that was probably the biggest humor hilarious moment of the entire film ,.. also add the look on Thor's whimper-crying face when Stan Lee displaying his Edward Scissorshand tools was about to chop down his goldilocks rock star hair-do ..

:lmao:

quickccc

Reaction score
I keep forgetting to check out the tallies, because when a thread is no longer in bold letters, I just figure there's nothing new added to it. lol

But Aliens was so much better than Alien. It'd be a shame if there was an upset.

yes it was ... it's hard to find a movie that Bill Paxton's character wasn't enjoyable. Aliens was a lot more suspenseful, a lot more multiple character filled and fast paced, from start to finish than Aliens. .

Much bigger, more frightening chase scenes and close calls, including the emotional child rescue, plus we saw far more Alien creatures to flee from or fight off. than the lone single one in the original Alien film, ...plus we see the Mutha' of Aliens in the final scene. and Sigourney's brilliant new way of fighting and defeating
that Mutha' ..!!

And that's also an classic example how a Sequel out-shining the Original.
:clap:

cowboyec

Reaction score
another cool tourney...bracket style...iconic movie characters.
han solo v rambo v dirty harry,etc...
be kinda cool...could see han vs indiana jones...rambo v rocky.
just a thought.

cowboyec

Reaction score
this was suggested before...but a bracket tourney of super heroes or comic book heroes would really be fun.
between dc and marvel it would be easy to come up with 32.
my all-time #1 is batman....especially in The Long Halloween.
also love superman...jonah hex...iron man and hellboy.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
another cool tourney...bracket style...iconic movie characters.
han solo v rambo v dirty harry,etc...
be kinda cool...could see han vs indiana jones...rambo v rocky.
just a thought.
Oh please, like you wouldn't be campaigning for the man with no name. :grin:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Elite 8 Final Results

Western

The Good The Bad And The Ugly beats Tombstone 11-7

Comedy

Monty Python and The Holy Grail beats Caddyshack 9-8