CowboysZone Movie Genre Tournament Feedback Thread (Winner Post 342)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I voted but under protest, not what I thought we'd have. Having any of the worst acted films, pick any Star Wars film, in the finals is a travesty, a miscarriage of justice.

May I suggest any of the posters that voted for The Empire Strikes Back receive a day in detention hall?

Star Wars should have never even been nominated, these are popcorn movies and acted, directed and written by the same age children they were made to entertain.

Surely, you've taken leave of your senses. And don't call me surely.
:laugh:All that is hilarious. While it may be true that no Star Wars film should be considered as 'the best movie ever', it would be a travesty omitting any of the original three films from a 'best film discussion'.

In my opinion, no 'best' discussion should be whittled down to a single perspective. People like what they like and they dislike what they dislike but in the end EVERYONE likes and dislikes what EVERYONE ELSE may or may not agree with.

I am not a member but the American Film Institute or AFI is one of my favorite sites connected with movies. AFI was "Established in 1967, the American Film Institute is the nation’s nonprofit organization dedicated to educating and inspiring artists and audiences through initiatives that champion the past, present and future of the moving image."

One of the sites best features for me are its "best" lists. Click here if anyone wants to review its diversified perspective on the best films of all-time. It should be noted that AFI intentionally does not include films in its lists until they are at least a decade old but there are exceptions.

One list in particular I enjoy is AFI's 100 Years... 100 Movies, which they proclaim are '100 greatest American movies of all-time'. If interested, anyone can view that particular list by clicking here. I find it both enlightening and fun because site visitors can manually check off and total the movies they have seen and experienced, I am up to 91 of the 100 of their list.:muttley:It will never be 100 of 100 since I doubt AFI will ever drop one movie, E.T. The Extraterrestrial, from their list. I have never watched that movie in its entirety and the parts I have watched never entertained me enough to watch it completely. It is the one Steven Spielberg movie that I totally loathe.

"E.T... phone home." Forget you E.T.! :mad::p I went off the rails there but what I was trying to say is that the 'best films' of all-time is pretty wide in scope among those who appreciate them.

PS. The original Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope is on that list too. :)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i'll play...
action-first blood
adventure-pirates of the caribbean-curse of the black pearl
animation-jungle book(original)
biography-this is Elvis
comedy-planes,trains and automobiles
crime-dirty harry
documentary-Elvis:that's the way it is(1970)
drama-the defiant ones
fantasy-empire strikes back
film noir-call northside 777
history-the longest day
horror-frankenstein(original)
musical-jailhouse rock
mystery-anatomy of a murder
romance-blue hawaii
sci-fi-the day the earth stood still(original)
sport-rocky
thriller-rear window
war-sands of iwo jima
western-the good,the bad & the ugly
You know very well including movies is not what I was clarifying. Shame on you! :mad::)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I may not vote until near the deadline.

Who knows? The finalists may be in a deadlock late and one vote could decide the outcome! :grin:

Man. I will really be pissed it that actually happens and I miss the deadline!!! :mad::laugh:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Why you slimy, double-crossing, no-good swindler. You've got a lot of guts coming here, after what you pulled."

*What Lando Calrissian will say to The Man With No Name if The Good, The Bad And The Ugly wins the tournament.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:laugh:All that is hilarious. While it may be true that no Star Wars film should be considered as 'the best movie ever', it would be a travesty omitting any of the original three films from a 'best film discussion'.

In my opinion, no 'best' discussion should be whittled down to a single perspective. People like what they like and they dislike what they dislike but in the end EVERYONE likes and dislikes what EVERYONE ELSE may or may not agree with.

I am not a member but the American Film Institute or AFI is one of my favorite sites connected with movies. AFI was "Established in 1967, the American Film Institute is the nation’s nonprofit organization dedicated to educating and inspiring artists and audiences through initiatives that champion the past, present and future of the moving image."

One of the sites best features for me are its "best" lists. Click here if anyone wants to review its diversified perspective on the best films of all-time. It should be noted that AFI intentionally does not include films in its lists until they are at least a decade old but there are exceptions.

One list in particular I enjoy is AFI's 100 Years... 100 Movies, which they proclaim are '100 greatest American movies of all-time'. If interested, anyone can view that particular list by clicking here. I find it both enlightening and fun because site visitors can manually check off and total the movies they have seen and experienced, I am up to 91 of the 100 of their list.:muttley:It will never be 100 of 100 since I doubt AFI will ever drop one movie, E.T. The Extraterrestrial, from their list. I have never watched that movie in its entirety and the parts I have watched never entertained me enough to watch it completely. It is the one Steven Spielberg movie that I totally loathe.

"E.T... phone home." Forget you E.T.! :mad::p I went off the rails there but what I was trying to say is that the 'best films' of all-time is pretty wide in scope among those who appreciate them.

I might have seen all 100, 99 for sure but at 76 is City Lights and I've seen a few Charlie Chaplin movies when I was on that kick with him, Buster Keaton and the Keystone Cops, but I can't say for sure I saw that one.

You are right and we didn't really set criteria just our personal favorites. This was like the Desert Island Game that I love to play.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I might have seen all 100, 99 for sure but at 76 is City Lights and I've seen a few Charlie Chaplin movies when I was on that kick with him, Buster Keaton and the Keystone Cops, but I can't say for sure I saw that one.

You are right and we didn't really set criteria just our personal favorites. This was like the Desert Island Game that I love to play.
I believe any future suggestions about a tournament deciding best film, with genre in mind, should be specifically about all movies in that single genre only. I have an idea about determining the specific genre by 'rule' but have not thought it completely through yet.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe any future suggestions about a tournament deciding best film, with genre in mind, should be specifically about all movies in that single genre only. I have an idea about determining the specific genre by 'rule' but have not thought it completely through yet.
Well, when you do, get back to me and I'll give it my blessing..........or not.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All your ideas are great!....We just don't agree with them.
His family doesn't either, he keeps bringing them here in hopes of getting a buy in so he can go back and say "see, y'all were wrong, the Zoners like my idea". Only he'll have to wait until they can compose themselves from the fits of laughter to continue the conversation.

Ya know how people will reference "I've got a friend, relative, friend of a friend, relative of a relative, friend of a relative, relative of a friend and they......" to add authenticity to their statement. Do you think anyone ever says to any of those people "I've got this poster on the Zone and they....."?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ideas are the spark and spice of life. Never worry about whether they're accepted or not; worry about when they stop coming.

My greatest fear in life is not death. It is when creativity and imagination can no longer take me away. I have never left this body yet I have been to so many places.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His family doesn't either, he keeps bringing them here in hopes of getting a buy in so he can go back and say "see, y'all were wrong, the Zoners like my idea". Only he'll have to wait until they can compose themselves from the fits of laughter to continue the conversation.

Ya know how people will reference "I've got a friend, relative, friend of a friend, relative of a relative, friend of a relative, relative of a friend and they......" to add authenticity to their statement. Do you think anyone ever says to any of those people "I've got this poster on the Zone and they....."?
I will laugh my butt off if @cowfan posts very much black-and-white text anywhere serving as PROOF he agrees with me on almost anything. :laugh:

Of course, hell could freeze over too. o_O

nah. :laugh:

cowboyec

Reaction score

thats how i feel about westerns.
even tho right now only 5 other people agreed with me in the championship....no way you can have an honest discussion about best film and NOT include westerns.
and especially...(regardless of the 8 snobbs who voted for empire)THE MAN WITH NO NAME.
:starspin:A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS:starspin:
:starspin:FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE:starspin:
:starspin:THE GOOD THE BAD & THE UGLY:starspin:

cowboyec

Reaction score
and let the hall of records correctly record the following ideas for our next tournament:
•idea #1...best songs by decade...bracket style...4 regions...8 selections for each region...50s,60s,70s and 80s.

•idea #2...best album by decade...bracket style...4 regions...8 selections for each region...50s,60s,70s and 80s.

•idea #3...movie monster mayhem...32 monsters collide to determine the best movie monster.

•idea #4...best comic book super hero...32 of our favorites battle to determine who is the best.

•idea #5...most iconic movie character...32...from any genre...battle each other for #1.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
and let the hall of records correctly record the following ideas for our next tournament:
•idea #1...best songs by decade...bracket style...4 regions...8 selections for each region...50s,60s,70s and 80s.

•idea #2...best album by decade...bracket style...4 regions...8 selections for each region...50s,60s,70s and 80s.

•idea #3...movie monster mayhem...32 monsters collide to determine the best movie monster.

•idea #4...best comic book super hero...32 of our favorites battle to determine who is the best.

•idea #5...most iconic movie character...32...from any genre...battle each other for #1.
Nah. No more separate regions.

CoolLavishAlabamamapturtle-size_restricted.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.