Video: Cowherd: Dallas will become better after EzE

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Who really thinks we’ll be better this year without Elliott?

Cowturd since he moved to Fox is simply stoking a reaction. Can’t believe I actually used to listen to him on ESPN radio years ago . He’s nothing more than clickbait now.

Dre11

Reaction score
Whats the difference? in order to keep him, the 4th all time rusher in the history of the game, it would have cost them an additional 3.3 million. Why is that a big difference? It's really not any different then what you see today IMO. Today, you can tag a player but you can't tag them indefinitely. At some point, you have sign them long term. Same situation with Martin essentially. I mean, what you posted basically supports the original statement. The Pats don't fall in love with players. They will move on from players in order to insure the stability of the organization. The statement you posted above, from Wiki I believe, basically states that.

Because they were forced to let Martin go as a restricted free agent, Were not forced to let Zeke go, we control him for 2 years on his contract and an additional year with the franchise tag. The ploison pill would only kept him there for a year at a ridicoulous contract they had to match , why would any team do that.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Because they were forced to let Martin go as a restricted free agent, Were not forced to let Zeke go, we control him for 2 years on his contract and an additional year with the franchise tag. The ploison pill would only kept him there for a year at a ridicoulous contract they had to match , why would any team do that.

No. They were not forced to let him go. There was nothing dictating that the Pats had to let him go. It's pretty simple, Pats had to match the offer by the Jets and then they would have to bump his salary by 3.3 mil to keep him from hitting the market the next year. There was no mandate or rule that said the Pats could not keep him.

Dre11

Reaction score
No. They were not forced to let him go. There was nothing dictating that the Pats had to let him go. It's pretty simple, Pats had to match the offer by the Jets and then they would have to bump his salary by 3.3 mil to keep him from hitting the market the next year. There was no mandate or rule that said the Pats could not keep him.

Are you really this slow, do you not see why no team in their right mind would match an offer and bump the salary and then that same player is a free agent the next year. It's no rule, but it's still the most ridiculous thing a team would do. Hence the reason the poison pill being implanted. The Jets knew there was no way on earth they would do it. That's being force to say no. It's like your boss telling you to quit or be fired...lol

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Are you really this slow, do you not see why no team in their right mind would match an offer and bump the salary and then that same player is a free agent the next year. It's no rule, but it's still the most ridiculous thing a team would do. Hence the reason the poison pill being implanted. The Jets knew there was no way on earth they would do it. That's being force to say no. It's like your boss telling you to quit or be fired...lol

First of all, it's likely that Martin never would have even tried FA if the Pats had not low balled him in the first place. Having said this, yes I understand that after a year, Martin and Parker could void the deal but that doesn't change the fact that if the Pats had wanted to kill this deal, they simply needed to counter by offering more money, rather then matching. The Pats didn't do that.

Jets offered a 5 year, 28 mil deal with a club option year for and additional 8 mil, bringing the entire deal to 36 mil. The "poison pill" was the void of the clubs ability to use the Franchise Tag. In addition to this, the Jets offered a trade to the Pats for their 1999 1st, 1998 2nd, and a 3rd and 4th in 1997. This was what really forced the Pats hand. They weren't afraid that Martin would void the contract. They were afraid that they would lose out on that trade value. All the Pats had to do was offer a better deal to Martin and the whole poison pill deal was off the table but they didn't do that . They didn't want to spend the money and they wanted the draft picks.

That's how that deal happened. So as I said earlier, the Pats could have kept him if they wanted to but they don't let any player, even one as good as Martin, effect their plan.

Dre11

Reaction score
First of all, it's likely that Martin never would have even tried FA if the Pats had not low balled him in the first place. Having said this, yes I understand that after a year, Martin and Parker could void the deal but that doesn't change the fact that if the Pats had wanted to kill this deal, they simply needed to counter by offering more money, rather then matching. The Pats didn't do that.

Jets offered a 5 year, 28 mil deal with a club option year for and additional 8 mil, bringing the entire deal to 36 mil. The "poison pill" was the void of the clubs ability to use the Franchise Tag. In addition to this, the Jets offered a trade to the Pats for their 1999 1st, 1998 2nd, and a 3rd and 4th in 1997. This was what really forced the Pats hand. They weren't afraid that Martin would void the contract. They were afraid that they would lose out on that trade value. All the Pats had to do was offer a better deal to Martin and the whole poison pill deal was off the table but they didn't do that . They didn't want to spend the money and they wanted the draft picks.

That's how that deal happened. So as I said earlier, the Pats could have kept him if they wanted to but they don't let any player, even one as good as Martin, effect their plan.

No they couldn't match it. Not only that, Bill Belichek wasn't even there yet.
Kraft:
Kraft still wonders what could have been had Martin not taken his talents elsewhere.

“I always believed he would retire as a Patriot,” Kraft said. “It’s like seeing a girl you were in love with or had a big crush on dating some other guy.”

"
Because Martin was a restricted free agent, the Patriots had the ability to match any team’s contract offer. But one team found a loophole: the AFC East rival New York Jets, coached at the time by old friend Bill Parcells.

Parcells, who’d coached Martin for his first two seasons in New England and served as a father figure to the young back, offered him a deal that, because of salary cap restrictions, the Patriots were unable to match. Known as a “poison pill” contract, it paid Martin $36 million over six years and helped shift the balance of power in the AFC East

Last edited:

KayJay1971

Reaction score
Its much cheaper to just invest in the position every other draft, just take a RB in the draft, never use a 1st round pick, that was the first mistake, the second will be paying Zeke.
Never pay a RB a 2nd contract,, this isn't rocket science nor is it personal. Its basic business, basic salary cap economics.
Why would we never pay a 2nd contract? If we don't someone else will and then Zeke will come back and run all over our team. So are you saying they should have never renewed Emmitt Smith's contract?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
No they couldn't match it.

"
Because Martin was a restricted free agent, the Patriots had the ability to match any team’s contract offer. But one team found a loophole: the AFC East rival New York Jets, coached at the time by old friend Bill Parcells.

Parcells, who’d coached Martin for his first two seasons in New England and served as a father figure to the young back, offered him a deal that, because of salary cap restrictions, the Patriots were unable to match. Known as a “poison pill” contract, it paid Martin $36 million over six years and helped shift the balance of power in the AFC East

Yes they could. Why in the world would you think that the Pats didn't have the ability to offer a better deal? It was not a loop hole that forced the Pats to simply accept whatever deal. The Pats absolutely could have done that. I am aware that it was Parcells, I am aware that it was a personal thing because Bill had been with the Pats just prior to going to the Jets. I was alive and watching Football in those days. I wasn't reading an article to try and puzzle together what happened. The Pats could have killed that deal by simply offering more money. They could have done that. They didn't because they didn't want to spend that kind of money on Martin, or any RB. They wanted the picks and so they elected to take the trade, which BTW, was the right thing to do. I mean, we all know the history of the Pats from there on but the Jets with Martin, the 98 season was the closest they would ever get to the Super Bowl. Martin had a great, great career but the Jets never could build a good enough team to win it all.

Dre11

Reaction score
Yes they could. Why in the world would you think that the Pats didn't have the ability to offer a better deal? It was not a loop hole that forced the Pats to simply accept whatever deal. The Pats absolutely could have done that. I am aware that it was Parcells, I am aware that it was a personal thing because Bill had been with the Pats just prior to going to the Jets. I was alive and watching Football in those days. I wasn't reading an article to try and puzzle together what happened. The Pats could have killed that deal by simply offering more money. They could have done that. They didn't because they didn't want to spend that kind of money on Martin, or any RB. They wanted the picks and so they elected to take the trade, which BTW, was the right thing to do. I mean, we all know the history of the Pats from there on but the Jets with Martin, the 98 season was the closest they would ever get to the Super Bowl. Martin had a great, great career but the Jets never could build a good enough team to win it all.

Did you just read that they didn't have the salary cap to do it? I mean it's plain as day in bla k and white

We tried to do something that was in the rules but would make it difficult for New England to match the contract,” Parcells said in the documentary.

because of salary cap restrictions, the Patriots were unable to match. Known as a “poison pill” contract, it paid Martin $36 million over six years and helped shift the balance of power in the AFC East

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Did you just read that they didn't have the salary cap to do it? I mean it's plain as day in bla k and white

because of salary cap restrictions, the Patriots were unable to match. Known as a “poison pill” contract, it paid Martin $36 million over six years and helped shift the balance of power in the AFC East

Salary cap is manipulated. You can make room, if you want to so it comes down to making a decision on team vs player, as we have been trying to tell you throughout this entire thread. The Pats elected not to do that. They didn't want to pay that much, which is what I just finished telling you. Does not mean they could not have done that. The Pats, as an organization, have learned their lesson. And to be honest, that deal was key in helping them formulate the foundation they currently use today. No, I didn't read it, as I said earlier, I was alive and watching Football then. I remember how this happened. I didn't read it out of an article.

Dre11

Reaction score
Salary cap is manipulated. You can make room, if you want to so it comes down to making a decision on team vs player, as we have been trying to tell you throughout this entire thread. The Pats elected not to do that. They didn't want to pay that much, which is what I just finished telling you. Does not mean they could not have done that. The Pats, as an organization, have learned their lesson. And to be honest, that deal was key in helping them formulate the foundation they currently use today. No, I didn't read it, as I said earlier, I was alive and watching Football then. I remember how this happened. I didn't read it out of an article.

Dude give it up. They just couldn't do it. Period. Parcells knew it. Also, they didn't operate that way until after Bill B got there a couple years later.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Dude give it up. They just couldn't do it. Period. Parcells knew it. Also, they didn't operate that way until after Bill B got there a couple years later.

This is funny. You are an advocate of signing Zeke correct?

Dre11

Reaction score
This is funny. You are an advocate of signing Zeke correct?

Yeah I am ,after Dak and Amari.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yeah I am ,after Dak and Amari.

So which is it then? You can find room to sign players or you can't? That deal, right there, is exactly why you don't over pay for RBs. Curtis Martin was easily one of the best RBs I ever watched play. Great talent, for sure. Jets over paid for him and ended up with not much to show for it. Pats let him walk, took the value of the trade and turned it into players that could help them win championship and help them keep the team they had intact. Also, helped the stability of their cap.

At the time, as I recall, the Pats had Bledsoe under a huge contract, for the time. They could have restructured him and they could have gotten cap to do the Martin deal but they didn't want to do that and Bill Parcells did know this. Bill knew what he had to do to get that deal done. I don't argue that but I do disagree with you that the Pats could not have gotten it done. They could have created space if they would have wanted to but it would have come at a price and that, they did not want to do.

More importantly, I believe that this is an excellent example of why you don't over commit, over extend on a RB. To me, this was the perfect example to discuss.

JMO

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If we are going to be better after Elliott then we have to be after Elliott first. Get the trade done!

Dre11

Reaction score
So which is it then? You can find room to sign players or you can't? That deal, right there, is exactly why you don't over pay for RBs. Curtis Martin was easily one of the best RBs I ever watched play. Great talent, for sure. Jets over paid for him and ended up with not much to show for it. Pats let him walk, took the value of the trade and turned it into players that could help them win championship and help them keep the team they had intact. Also, helped the stability of their cap.

At the time, as I recall, the Pats had Bledsoe under a huge contract, for the time. They could have restructured him and they could have gotten cap to do the Martin deal but they didn't want to do that and Bill Parcells did know this. Bill knew what he had to do to get that deal done. I don't argue that but I do disagree with you that the Pats could not have gotten it done. They could have created space if they would have wanted to but it would have come at a price and that, they did not want to do.

More importantly, I believe that this is an excellent example of why you don't over commit, over extend on a RB. To me, this was the perfect example to discuss.

JMO

You're missing the point. Technically you can do what you want. Who h is your attempt to salvage your argument. Technically you can give your qb all the money and not field a team. Except if you're trying to to be competitive, YOU CAN'T PAY A PLAYER IF YOU DON'T HAVE SALARY CAP ROOM!!. let's not be stupid here. It's explained to you by Parcells and Kraft even though he wanted him to retire there that they couldn't do it. Also, as pointed out a million post back, this is Apples to oranges to Zeke situation. Also according to Jones our cap isnt restricting us from signing Zeke

Last edited:

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
You cant help but think with all the media noise talking about RB position being devalued and how Dallas just ran Murray into the ground that Zeke could become disgruntled. Right now Zeke has a little over 2.5 seasons of wear and tear on him. I would rather see his contract extended 2 or 3 more years and him get 15 mil a year than to have him come back and be unhappy and just go through the motions and then hold out next year. Barring injury he should have another 4 good years in him. But the Cowboys need to get another RB involved just enough so you dont run your best guy into the ground before the playoffs start.
Hopefully the man they picked up in the draft will be good enough to take on some of the load. We won't really know until game one of the regular season.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You're missing the point. Technically you can do what you want. Who h is your attempt to salvage your argument. Technically you can give your qb all the money and not field a team. Except if you're trying to to be competitive, YOU CAN'T PAY A PLAYER IF YOU DON'T HAVE SALARY CAP ROOM!!. let's not be stupid here. It's explained to you by Parcells and Kraft even though he wanted him to retire there that they couldn't do it. Also, as pointed out a million post back, this is Apples to oranges to Zeke situation. Also according to Jones our cap isnt restricting us from signing Zeke

How do you feel I am missing the point? What, exactly, do you think my "argument" is? Technically, you can't give your QB all tghe money and not field a team. You have to field a team. I've heard it said on this board, many times, that teams can find money to pay players if they really want to. Well, is that true or is that not true? In the case of the Pats, they could have done that. They could have restructured Bledsoe because I believe he had signed a large contract not all that long ago. I don't see this as being stupid. I see you as trying to be very careful how you insult people. You are worried that you may step over the line so you say things like, "Lets Not Be Stupid". Whatever, the Pats could have created cap had the wanted to do so. They didn't want to do that, they wanted to make the trade and get the picks and that's the truth of it. I don't know what you are referring to when you say Parcells and Kraft explained it. I guess I don't know what you are referring to or what you are looking at. I don't believe that Kraft cared one way or the other but if that's what Kraft said, then whatever. If Kraft had really wanted that, which I believe is a bunch of BS because if it were true, then Kraft would not have given Bledsoe so much money, especially up front, and never planned for Martin. Hell, they signed Bledsoe for 42 Mil for 6 years and then turned around and tore that up a year early and gave him a 100 Mil plus deal a few years later. No, I don't believe any of that for one second but whatever, if that is what you wish to believe, that's fine with me. I think the Pats always had the means to sign Martin, I think they just wanted the picks more.

I don't believe this is apples and oranges. I believe this is very similar indeed and I believe that you know it, you just don't want to admit it. Hey, I'm not the only one point this out to you. There are several others but you don't want to agree with that. No skin of mine, that's on you but they are not wrong. Neither am I. Say what you want but I don't agree with you. I think the Pats always wanted the Picks all along.