Video: Cowherd: Dallas will become better after EzE

BigD_95

Reaction score
I actually think he makes good points on Zeke. I could understand Zeke holding out next year but to hold out this year is a joke.

I think he is wrong on his bubble teams. Pitt wont even win that division let alone be a bubble super bowl team.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
well if zeke holds out then that will give jerry his opening ot keep his loser head coach around

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
You know nothing. Cowherd gave you several examples of how teams get better after losing a great player like Zeke. For what we get for him in trade, the Cowboys will be better off. RBs are too plentiful to overpay for one. Yes, all my opinion but that's what this forum is all about.
The part in bold of your quote should tell you that we won't get what you think we would in a trade. Since RB's are so plentiful, why would anybody trade us a boat load of draft picks for Zeke. A second Herschel Walker trade ain't happening.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The part in bold of your quote should tell you that we won't get what you think we would in a trade. Since RB's are so plentiful, why would anybody trade us a boat load of draft picks for Zeke. A second Herschel Walker trade ain't happening.

You'd have a point if every GM had the same philosophy about RBs. But thankfully there are still GMs out there that will give much more for a RB of Zeke's caliber. At least, that was true last season. I hope the Cowboys test that theory by giving the league notice that Zeke is on the trading block for the right price.

Dre11

Reaction score
I already have, Dre, you keep ignoring it. Chandler Jones. Trey Flowers. Assante Samuel. Logan Ryan. You're only picking those players out of the list who fit your agenda.

Hey, I don't get it either, but that is what they do. There are a few players that they milked what they could out of before releasing/trading, Wilkfork and Mankins come to mind. If the Pats had drafted EZ, they'd most likely let him play out his rook contract, and then possibly franchise him once or twice if he wouldn't agree to a non-maxed out deal.

None of those players are apples to apples to Zeke situation when you're talkin about letting go Zeke right now with what he's accomplished and the caliber of player he is at this point of his career none of them are close. The closest one is Chandler Jones and he isn't even to caliber player Zeke is. You're crazy to say any of those players were on the same level as Zeke window will it go and just 4 years in

Last edited:

Dre11

Reaction score
I already have, Dre, you keep ignoring it. Chandler Jones. Trey Flowers. Assante Samuel. Logan Ryan. You're only picking those players out of the list who fit your agenda.

Hey, I don't get it either, but that is what they do. There are a few players that they milked what they could out of before releasing/trading, Wilkfork and Mankins come to mind. If the Pats had drafted EZ, they'd most likely let him play out his rook contract, and then possibly franchise him once or twice if he wouldn't agree to a non-maxed out deal.

There is no fitting agenda again those players don't fit the mold. You trying to put them on that level but then I'm not on that level

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I actually think he makes good points on Zeke. I could understand Zeke holding out next year but to hold out this year is a joke.

I think he is wrong on his bubble teams. Pitt wont even win that division let alone be a bubble super bowl team.

I think his holdout will be nothing more then a future warning to the team and he's really just trying to get out of some practice. Maybe by some miracle Dallas gives him a bonus before the season.

Zeke will be a Cowboys this year but next year we will see.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
You'd have a point if every GM had the same philosophy about RBs. But thankfully there are still GMs out there that will give much more for a RB of Zeke's caliber. At least, that was true last season. I hope the Cowboys test that theory by giving the league notice that Zeke is on the trading block for the right price.
When was the last time an elite RB was traded? Marshawn Lynch was nearly a decade ago (Unless I'm forgetting an elite RB that was traded after that). It just doesn't happen, because as you say, RB's are plentiful and GMs aren't willing to give up draft capital for a RB with some wear on the tires and a big contract looming.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
He's not? Zeke is playing to a T as his scouting report dictated he would. In what way are you claiming he's not?
Oh really, where has his speed gone? Name me his longest 3 runs last year. And the year before that. Zeke has gained weight and it has effected his speed already.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Well it's only common sense that when you lose the best player on offense the offense will get better.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
None of those players are apples to apples to Zeke situation when you're talkin about letting go Zeke right now with what he's accomplished and the caliber of player he is at this point of his career none of them are close. The closest one is Chandler Jones and he isn't even to caliber player Zeke is. You're crazy to say any of those players were on the same level as Zeke window will it go and just 4 years in
There is no fitting agenda again those players don't fit the mold. You trying to put them on that level but then I'm not on that level

Curtis Martin was very similar to Zeke. Three Thousand plus yard rushing seasons to start his career in New England, two Pro Bowl season, out of his first three, both were excellent receivers out of the backfield, both could block, they were actually very similar.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
When was the last time an elite RB was traded? Marshawn Lynch was nearly a decade ago (Unless I'm forgetting an elite RB that was traded after that). It just doesn't happen, because as you say, RB's are plentiful and GMs aren't willing to give up draft capital for a RB with some wear on the tires and a big contract looming.
The good ones just don't become avalable through trade, you're right but it can still happen.

Dre11

Reaction score
Curtis Martin was very similar to Zeke. Three Thousand plus yard rushing seasons to start his career in New England, two Pro Bowl season, out of his first three, both were excellent receivers out of the backfield, both could block, they were actually very similar.

New England didn't get rid of Curtis Martin Martin was a restricted free agent and if you remember that was the first time the use of a poison pill in the contract was revealed to the public New England wanted to bring Curtis Martin back but Martin wanted to go to the Jets with Bill Parcells so they put poison pill in his contract that will force Patriots to pay some outrageous number to keep him or he would have only been a 1 year player and become a free agent again IIRC

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
New England didn't get rid of Curtis Martin Martin was a restricted free agent and if you remember that was the first time the use of a poison pill in the contract was revealed to the public New England wanted to bring Curtis Martin back but Martin wanted to go to the Jets with Bill Parcells so they put poison pill in his contract that will force Patriots to pay some outrageous number to keep him or he would have only been a 1 year player and become a free agent again IIRC

New England could have paid him more to stop that deal. They didn't have to let him walk. They could have paid the 3.3 million but they didn't want to compromise their cap so they didn't match the offer. He was a restricted FA, they could have stopped him from signing with the Jets. I don't really see the difference, to be honest.

Dre11

Reaction score
New England could have paid him more to stop that deal. They didn't have to let him walk. They could have paid the 3.3 million but they didn't want to compromise their cap so they didn't match the offer. He was a restricted FA, they could have stopped him from signing with the Jets. I don't really see the difference, to be honest.

Big difference

The "poison pill" was a clause in the contract that stated Martin would become an unrestricted free agent after one-year if the Patriots matched the offer and it would have forced New England to pay a $3.3 million roster bonus that would have compromised their salary cap

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Big difference

The "poison pill" was a clause in the contract that stated Martin would become an unrestricted free agent after one-year if the Patriots matched the offer and it would have forced New England to pay a $3.3 million roster bonus that would have compromised their salary cap

Whats the difference? in order to keep him, the 4th all time rusher in the history of the game, it would have cost them an additional 3.3 million. Why is that a big difference? It's really not any different then what you see today IMO. Today, you can tag a player but you can't tag them indefinitely. At some point, you have sign them long term. Same situation with Martin essentially. I mean, what you posted basically supports the original statement. The Pats don't fall in love with players. They will move on from players in order to insure the stability of the organization. The statement you posted above, from Wiki I believe, basically states that.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
If he holds out trade the bum I am truly had enough with this guy who will never grow up. We don't need a poison in the locker room. No player is bigger than the STAR!!!

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
I am with the side of argument that I do not overpay anyone except the QB.

How did we all react to D. Murray? What happened to him and us?
How about the great Herschel Walker? (I know we had a great coaching staff, but this staff proved they can find alternatives many times)

So, we will survive, he will find someone to pay him his asking $$$. Good luck to all sides

It's a salary capped league, you cannot pay EVERYONE what they want. Players knowing that and using tactics like holding out prove one thing ... they are in it for the $$$$ more than the rings (Except those married to supermodels). Fan need to realize that and don't get too attached to players, and in the same time not blame them for getting what is legally their right

:cool: