Cowherd speculation

Reaction score
He also said the 49ers were high on Mac Jones.
These guys are hit-or-miss. It's called floating a trial balloon. Insiders use the media as much as the media use insiders.
Plus, I doubt insiders are leaking that Jones wants Payton this soon. That involves tampering, which is a serious offense.
Maybe they were high in Jones, but they were also high on Trey Lance and saw more upside. Who knows?

And I don't think these are leaks. It's rampant speculation based on the ties between Payton and Jones as well as the fact that it was almost a done deal in 2019

CoachD

Reaction score
WOW more hype and speculation than ever from the media and fans. Sean Payton is NOT coming to Dallas and you can bet on it, however, this time next year is a different story.

Reaction score
You can't wait until 2023 for Payton. The circumstances might be different. A play-off win or NFC title game appearance would bring back Mike in 2023.

I would not waste anytime on this. I would be more worried about my next DEF co-ordinator and who is going to develop Parsons
It's interestingto think about

If Tom Brady retires and Aaron Rodgers goes to a team like Denver, then maybe the time to move is now to fill in that vaccuum.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Maybe they were high in Jones, but they were also high on Trey Lance and saw more upside. Who knows?

And I don't think these are leaks. It's rampant speculation based on the ties between Payton and Jones as well as the fact that it was almost a done deal in 2019

Except some of the reports come from insiders. Guys like Rapoport and Schefter are always talking to people, i.e., players, front office managers, PR people etc. They're always on the phone talking to someone. And the someone's they talk to want to have that relationship because it makes the someone's feel important (if they're lower level people) and it's a way the higher level people get information out to the public, players and others around the league as a way of testing the waters or stirring up trouble for competitors.

So, let's say, Schefter is talking to a Saints or Cowboys scout, he may ask, "What do you think about Sean Payton leaving? Do you think there's a possibility he may resurface with the Cowboys?"

And the scout, being protected by anonymity and trusting Schefter won't reveal his identity (this is the way Schefter builds trust), starts shooting his mouth off with hypotheticals. Well, if it's just chatter, that becomes a story. You talk to enough people who give the same opinion, and it gets thrown out in cyber world as a speculation piece. The scout gets what he wants by feeling important talking to an NFL insider (yes, a lot of these people are vain). Schefter gets what he wants. And no one loses face because it's all speculative reporting.

Last edited:

75boyz

Reaction score
For 1 SP is hands on with HIS offense

Yup,
My heart would absolutely sink if Jerry's hiring condition for Payton to take the job is to keep Moore as OC.

"THEN" I would probably just lose any remaining hope I thought I still had, lol.

jmo

Reaction score
Except some of the reports come from insiders. Guys like Rapport and Schefter are always talking to people, i.e., players, front office managers, PR people etc. They're always on the phone talking to someone. And the someone's they talk to want to have that relationship because it makes the someone's feel important (if they're lower level people) and it's a way the higher level people get information out to the public, players and others around the league as a way of testing the waters or stirring up trouble for competitors.

So, let's say, Schefter is talking to a Saints or Cowboys scout, he may ask, "What do you think about Sean Payton leaving? Do you think there's a possibility he may resurface with the Cowboys?"

And the scout, being protected by anonymity and trusting Schefter won't reveal his identity (this is the way Schefter builds trust), starts shooting his mouth off with hypotheticals. Well, if it's just chatter, that becomes a story. You talk to enough people who give the same opinion, and it gets thrown out in cyber world as a speculation piece. The scout gets what he wants by feeling important talking to an NFL insider (yes, a lot of these people are vain). Schefter gets what he wants. And no one loses face because it's all speculative reporting.
I just don't believe the scout would know anything that's going on (or not going on) between Jerry Jones and Sean Payton. And Shefter would know this.

He may have an opinion. And he may give it for his wn purposes. But a guy like Shefter would not run with it unless he had corroberation from sources much higher than him.

Tons of Tweeters are poking around right now. But I don't think there is much to it

All this being said, I'm still waiting for Dez's Walmart parking lot video

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I just don't believe the scout would know anything that's going on (or not going on) between Jerry Jones and Sean Payton. And Shefter would know this.

LOL! lower level employees can tell you the boss is sleeping with the secretary. Stuff gets out in organizations. Besides, in the scenario I painted, you don't have to know the actual facts. It's speculative reporting. "Hey, what's the scuttlebutt in the building?" People talk.

He may have an opinion. And he may give it for his wn purposes. But a guy like Shefter would not run with it unless he had corroberation from sources much higher than him.

It depends on what's being discussed and how it's being delivered. If it's factual information like "Payton is stepping down as coach of the New Orleans Saints," that is breaking news not speculative news, and reporters are going to have their official sources before they publish that information. If it's "the Cowboys may be interested in Payton as a coach", that's speculative news and will be reported as such.

All this being said, I'm still waiting for Dez's Walmart parking lot video

Who is this a shot at? Not Schefter. Schefter didn't want to go with the story because he couldn't confirm the existence of the video. I think Florio went with the story and ESPN forced Schefter to do a story on it. Schefter merely acknowledged there was talk about such a video, but he couldn't confirm it. But when your boss wants a story because your competitor published a story, you do what you bosses say unless you want to look for another boss.

khiladi

Reaction score
I don’t even need to answer this question. He almost made the playoffs with Taysom Hill

Also got blatantly robbed against the Rams on that pass interference. Unlike the Rams, that offense could have scored against the Patriots.

Also got hosed for Bountygate, while the Pats got a slap on the finger for Spygate and BB got to coach.

Loso86

Reaction score
Yup,
My heart would absolutely sink if Jerry's hiring condition for Payton to take the job is to keep Moore as OC.

"THEN" I would probably just lose any remaining hope I thought I still had, lol.

jmo
Lol I really think MM wanted to keep KM. Mm seems like a lazy coach and what he said in the playoffs makes even more obvious

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Also got blatantly robbed against the Rams on that pass interference. Unlike the Rams, that offense could have scored against the Patriots.

Also got hosed for Bountygate, while the Pats got a slap on the finger for Spygate and BB got to coach.

Totally agree with you here. That Bountygate was the biggest hoax ever made by the NFL. There wasn't even proof of it.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
26 years of dumb off seasons that go no where.

Jerry will change For the great Payton have you seen his resume compared to the guy we have now????? I believe it when I see it. Jerry change that is Payton may take the job and regret every second of it just like his mentor Bill did.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
WOW more hype and speculation than ever from the media and fans. Sean Payton is NOT coming to Dallas and you can bet on it, however, this time next year is a different story.

Being a lifelong Cowboys fan one thing I learned a long time ago is never say never when it comes to the Cowboys. I agree it’s unlikely but I wouldn’t be surprised if it did happen soon.

khiladi

Reaction score
I would love to have Sean Payton here, but that’s not happening. The guy is a legend and the Saints aren’t going to let him walk away for cheap, if he decides to return and their next HC turns out to be good.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Payton announces retirement to get out of Saints contract. Saints owe him nothing for 2 years remaining.

Dallas can now pounce for free. Convince him to come out of retirement.

This isnt a player situation that retires. Team still owns his rights. For a coach he is free to go anywhere he pleases if he wishes to unretire. His contract isnt a part of the NFLPA agreement.

Good info thanks.......i still don't think he would come here. I feel he is going the Jon Gruden route and take a stab in the broadcast booth. Then later if he wants, could return. Which i doubt because the money will be great and he will get used to having family time and summer vacations as he makes even more than a HC.

fivetwos

Reaction score
He also said the 49ers were high on Mac Jones.
These guys are hit-or-miss. It's called floating a trial balloon. Insiders use the media as much as the media use insiders.
Plus, I doubt insiders are leaking that Jones wants Payton this soon. That involves tampering, which is a serious offense.
Definitely.

Problem is maybe he was fed that by SF as an elaborate rues lol.

Bottom line is you can't always believe what you hear no matter what. They could be being played also.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Except some of the reports come from insiders. Guys like Rapoport and Schefter are always talking to people, i.e., players, front office managers, PR people etc. They're always on the phone talking to someone. And the someone's they talk to want to have that relationship because it makes the someone's feel important (if they're lower level people) and it's a way the higher level people get information out to the public, players and others around the league as a way of testing the waters or stirring up trouble for competitors.

Isn't that the claim of the 'meteorologists?'

No offense if you're a meteorologist.

:thumbup: