Cowlishaw: As Cowboys run out of time, it's hard to trust all-seeing GM/owner Jerry Jones

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
By Tim Cowlishaw, Staff Columnist Contact Tim Cowlishaw

For the second time this century, the Cowboys have managed to follow a playoff victory (the only two they have managed) with a losing season. This is a disturbing trend. This isn't how the process is supposed to work.

What went wrong?

The team has months to address that question before the start of free agency and the draft where they can begin the rebuilding process that inevitably will be described as something else entirely.

Retooling? Re-engaging? Rejoining?

For now, what we can can determine is what has been lost. I believe it comes down to two critical things. Time and trust.

Time relates mostly to Tony Romo...

rest of the story

http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...un-time-hard-trust-seeing-gmowner-jerry-jones

George

a legend in your own mind
Reaction score
By Tim Cowlishaw, Staff Columnist Contact Tim Cowlishaw

For the second time this century, the Cowboys have managed to follow a playoff victory (the only two they have managed) with a losing season. This is a disturbing trend. This isn't how the process is supposed to work.

What went wrong?

The team has months to address that question before the start of free agency and the draft where they can begin the rebuilding process that inevitably will be described as something else entirely.

Retooling? Re-engaging? Rejoining?

For now, what we can can determine is what has been lost. I believe it comes down to two critical things. Time and trust.

Time relates mostly to Tony Romo...

rest of the story

http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...un-time-hard-trust-seeing-gmowner-jerry-jones

Jerry accepts responsibility but never admits his incompetence.

waving monkey

Reaction score
A fair article no revelations there just another piece to stir the irritations
of the unwashed

LittleD

Reaction score
Jerry admitting responsibility is meaningless because there is no accountability. Its easy to admit or take responsibility if one knows there are no consequences.

The only consequences that would matter to Jerry is that if no one bought his expensive tickets for next season, no one bought his expensive food
and beer at the stadium, and tv ad revenue took a dive next season. Good Luck with that!!! It's on us if Jerry has to pay consequences.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
The only consequences that would matter to Jerry is that if no one bought his expensive tickets for next season, no one bought his expensive food
and beer at the stadium, and tv ad revenue took a dive next season. Good Luck with that!!! It's on us if Jerry has to pay consequences.

We all know that isnt happening. Every NFL owner is watching the cash flow in, good product or lousy product.

LittleD

Reaction score
We all know that isnt happening. Every NFL owner is watching the cash flow in, good product or lousy product.

Right, then we have to live with Jerry and his team or start following that team in Carolina.

Fredd

Reaction score
while I agree wholeheartedly TIM, TBone, Tim-nado, I'm sure all Jones hears is the teacher from Peanuts..."wuh, wa, wah, wuh-wuh-wuh"

please sell the team, sell them now while I am still above ground

superonyx

Reaction score

Jerry is the 390th richest person in the entire world.
Think about that. He has more money than Donald Trump. Mark Cuban, Ross Perot ect.

He is close to the end of his life....

He values winning more than you eating his vendors hot dogs.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score

Yes, as long as its done with him leading his most valuable fantasy team on the planet and doing it HIS WAY.

Jerry-Jones.jpg

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's a easy way to get to Jerry, do the same as after the Campo era, the press, the fans, and espn all have to begin to ridicule and laugh at him. Ask him the embarrassing questions over, and over, and over till his ego breaks, and it will break, just like it did when he brought Parcells in and shut his mouth for the first year or so... Get it done.

MissionCoach

Reaction score
Think about that. He has more money than Donald Trump. Mark Cuban, Ross Perot ect.

I agree, if all this was all about was making money, Jerry would spend 110% of his time focusing on the financial end of this business. He wants GLORY!!!

His big fat EGO is what drives him. In his mind, he never got the respect and credit that he felt he deserved for winning the 3 Super Bowls in the 1990's....Jimmy Johnson was credited with putting those winning teams together. Even when Switzter won the 3rd Lombardi, it was "still" Jimmy's team! It must have killed him to hand the team over to Parcells for that brief period of time.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Yes, as long as its done with him leading his most valuable fantasy team on the planet and doing it HIS WAY.

Jerry-Jones.jpg

Jerry is doing a hell of a lot better job but this bad season has the children whining again
please as the program corrects itself stop with the 'I'm on board' BS

LittleD

Reaction score

I don't buy your argument but let's say you're right. Then he would not
shop for assistant coaches in bargain bin basements of the league. He
never goes after top shelf coaches but, inexperienced coaches like Garrett or
has been never was coaches like Phillips.

He thinks he knows football while the past 20 years have smacked him in the
face with mediocre. He's building another great big complex in North Texas
complete with restaurants, hotels, shops, etc. He continues to tout his job
as GM but, the results everyone can see are historically and annually bad.
He refuses to cede control rather than try and get the best football man
to bring him some glory just once more in his life. I grant you that Jerry loves
ego, power & control more than money and apparently more than winning too.