Crayton is a # 2 ??!!

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
iceberg;2166259 said:
craytons biggest problem is 1 dropped pass. timing is everything isn't it?

all the rest is a wash cause he pissed off the fan at the worst possible time. fans hold grudges for an awful long time and it blinds them to the rest of things.
Can I get an AMEN?!

AtlCB

Reaction score
Sonny#9;2166285 said:
That's very good point. I really believe, and as much as it pains me to say, TO makes that offense go. I really dislike the man, and have always disliked him. But I have to give credit where credit is due.
You may not like him, but he is better than any WR on the Commanders not named Santana Moss.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2166297 said:
Agree Crayton has a mouth on him, but T.O.'s only been here two years. Crayton 4, going on 5. His increased production is the direct result of hard work and the numbers bear that out.

The knock on him has always been his speed, but for some reason he always gets open and averages 14 ypc. One of his biggest catches was as a rookie against your rookie Sean Taylor (RIP) and T.O. wasn't on the other side of him. Sometimes you gotta give props where props are due.

You know your team sucks when you lose to Vinny Testerverde

Doomsday101

Reaction score
iceberg;2166292 said:
hey - this is what we're going with. we knew the day would come where a young guy had to step up and all our little "blankies" would be gone. i think hurd will do well. i don't think austin will be more than he has ever been and stanback is still the wildcard. if an average WR needs a few years to develop, he'll need at least as much. most people wrote him off last year cause there was no IGS factor involved.

barring some wild trade, we have no other options. never really had. this is the year to have them step up or we find their replacements next year.

I think both Hurd and Austin along with some of the other young guys will get ample playing time this pre-season and if the staff does not feel comfortable then look for Dallas to find a vet WR as teams are forced to reduce their rosters.

Tovya

Reaction score
dargonking999;2166167 said:
Him and T.O?

Championship!

Hey buddy... where's your 'sarcastic' smiley face on this post? You just got penalized 10-yards for an illegal post.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
TD production, from Crayton, is not the issue. Nor does it really answer the question of what happens if TO goes down. Everybody knows that if TO goes down, we are in real trouble. Nobody wants to look at that and I don't blame them because it will be a long season, IMO, and at this point in the year everybody knows that hope springs eternal. If you want to see if Crayton can really do the job, then you have to look at what he has done when neither TO or Glenn were on the field. In the past, both of those guys were the #1 coverage responsabilities for opposing defenses. If Crayton is going to carry the load if TO does go down, then the only meaningful stats is what he has done when he is the lead WR threat. I don't even know if we have enough info to be able to look at that eventuallity properly. For those who say that Felix Jones is the answer to the lack of proven WR depth, I guess I'd just make one comment. We have 2nd and 3rd year WRs who have not made the transition from the college WR position to the Pro WR position. Why would we expect Felix Jones, as a rookie, to be able to come in and produce the way a #2 or #3 WR would? Perhaps in time, but I doubt very much if that will happen in his rookie year. Compare him to Reggie Bush if you like but Bush played in a Pro Style offense that featured his ability to play a multi purpose role on offense. Jones, at Arkansas, did not.

Would be great to have another WR threat in the lineup. I don't believe Crayton is the answer, especially if TO goes down but it's irrelivent at this point. The person who asked, who could we have brought in, is the one who chimes loudest in this thread IMO. We have who we have until an option presents itself. I am for going out and getting Bolding, Williams or any other very good WR but at this point, that possability has apparently not presented itself. We have who we have right now and if TO goes down, then we are in for a long season. To me, those are the facts.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
Sonny#9;2166274 said:
A lot of his production is a direct result of having TO across from him.

A lot of his production is a direct result of having a top 5 QB throwing him the ball.

Contrast that with your POS of team who couldn't get a TD pass to a WR until halfway through the season because of the POS QB you have.

Crayton 7 TD

Moss 3 TD
Randle El 1 TD
McCardell 1 TD
Thrash 2 TD
Lloyd 0 TD
Caldwell 0 TD
Mix 0 TD

Look at those numbers.

And yet you have the gall to come on here and talk trash about Crayton or try to diminish his production?

Boysboy

Reaction score
MaineBoy;2166150 said:
(that might be more a statement than a question but....)

so Jerry is going to go the whole year with the same situation we had in the Giant's game last year; If TO is out or not 100 %, the opposition triple teams Witten and Romo is left with Crayton or rookies ? with Crayton having to be the #1 or #2 go-to guy ?

I sure hope Zach Thomas can play WR if TO goes down or we're in a whole lotta trouble.

P.S. Interesting tidbit - was just at the dealership waiting room and they had an old Sporting News from the week before the Giant game - their prediction was if TO healthy we win, if TO's ankle still bothering him, Gints win.

IF we had drafted DeSean Jackson instead of Mike Jenkins with our #28, I think your thread rant would be "We're SCREWED if TNew can't go in week 1 'cuz Wade won't be able to use his own schemes" instead.

Chill out.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2166315 said:
TD production, from Crayton, is not the issue. Nor does it really answer the question of what happens if TO goes down. Everybody knows that if TO goes down, we are in real trouble.

And how is that different than last year?

How is that situation different than other team and any other franchise-caliber player? If it's only a couple games, we are ok. If his season ends on game 1, yeah, we are in trouble.

We are in real trouble if Owens goes down.
We are in real trouble if Romo goes down.

and

Pats are in real trouble if Brady goes down.
Colts are in real trouble if Manning goes down.
Chargers are in real trouble if LT goes down.
Browns are in real trouble if Edwards goes down.
Saints are in real trouble if Colston goes down.
Chiefs are in real trouble if Gonzales goes down.

Also, we were in real trouble if Emmitt, Troy, or Irvin got hurt during our Super Bowl runs, but somehow we survived.

That's how it works. The better the player, the bigger the loss if they get injured.

I don't see what people are fretting over. There is no way to plan for a contingency if TO goes down for the season. It's impossible. He cannot be replaced.

I cannot believe people are fretting over a situation that worked out wonderfully for us last year. Would it be great to add Boldin to the mix? Sure. But it is not necessary.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Tovya;2166314 said:
Hey buddy... where's your 'sarcastic' smiley face on this post? You just got penalized 10-yards for an illegal post.

you are penalized 15 yards for illegal use of correctly spelled words.

I win ;):cool:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
cobra;2166328 said:
And how is that different than last year?

It's not. We lost in the first round of the playoffs last year and the year before. Next question please.

Tovya

Reaction score
dargonking999;2166330 said:
you are penalized 15 yards for illegal use of correctly spelled words.

I win ;):cool:

LOL, you are crazy man.. oh well... I've just been creeping in shadows waiting for you to slip up! :D

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Tovya;2166336 said:
LOL, you are crazy man.. oh well... I've just been creeping in shadows waiting for you to slip up! :D

Meh you don't have to wait too long. I always mess up somewhere.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Sonny#9;2166229 said:
Not quite:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=2753
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6390
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=7027
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=7774
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=7801

Here's the real question: Are you comfortable with Crayton and Hurd at WR, should TO go down?

Every team in the NFC East has at least one area where one injury could be crippling:

Dallas: WR, possibly O-line due to unproven back-ups.
Washington: LB, possibly D-line.
Philly: RB (off the top of my head -- there are probably more)
Giants: WR (off the top of my head -- there are probably more)

actually sonny. If I were you I would be worried about your secondary. I think you have a pretty good group in that front 7. Your secondary I think is pretty weak. especially with rogers coming off an injury.

You can dog hurd if you want, but if you go back and watch that final game of the season where the Commanders beat dallas, smoot was abused all day and so were your safeties by Hurd and austin. Fred Smoot in particular, he was roasted repeatedly. Luckily for hm austin dropped a ball that would have been a 60+ yard touchdown. Hurd is a smart player with very good hands. He doesnt run exceptionally well but when you are smart you become faster.

For instance. Hurd put a wicked double move on Smoot.
http://www.4shared.com/file/57128361/8b8e33fc/hurdaustinwmv_full.html?dirPwdVerified=a4754a2

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY;2166332 said:
It's not. We lost in the first round of the playoffs last year and the year before. Next question please.
That's kinda weak ABQ. You gotta get to the postseason for that logic to even apply. You and I both know the past two postseason failures were for different reasons.

IN last year's regular season, the current WR corp was quite unsuccessful in the passing game. A not quite healthy T.O. and some other questionable things (Reeves pre-halftime coverage) is what caused them to lose to the Giants in the postseason.

At some point this team needs to get another #1 receiver on the roster, but the lack of a future #1 is not the reason for past post season failures. And having a future #1 receiver on this squad now won't be the reason they succeed or fail this postseason.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think if Dallas can establish a better running game it will actually make the passing game even more dangerous than it was last season. Too often Dallas would looking at 2nd/3rd and long situation if we can do a better job on the ground it will be much easier to dictate to the defense and open up passing lanes as well as creating better matchup against secondary’s.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2166332 said:

And what did that loss in the playoffs have to do with the concern you are expressing here? Or to put it another way, assuming we address the concern you are expressing here, how would that have changed the result?

We didn't lose in the playoffs because of "we would have been in trouble if Owens goes down." We lost in the playoffs because we got outplayed by the team that ran the table all the way to the Trophy. It happens.

Sonny#9

Reaction score
theebs;2166340 said:
actually sonny. If I were you I would be worried about your secondary. I think you have a pretty good group in that front 7. Your secondary I think is pretty weak. especially with rogers coming off an injury.

I was Training Camp the other day, and I am pretty concerned about our secondary -- albeit Landry wasn't practicing. Smoot is a good nickel-back, average 2nd corner. I love Springs. Rogers was playing well before he got hurt. And that is a long-term injury. Leigh Torrance is our Jacque Reeves. J.T. Tryon is an undersized CB with a huge chip -- he looked good in practice. We'll see there.

My hope is the Giants secondary wasn't anything to write home about last year either. Carter and Taylor could form a very formidable pass-rush.

Sonny#9

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2166315 said:
The person who asked, who could we have brought in, is the one who chimes loudest in this thread IMO. We have who we have until an option presents itself. I am for going out and getting Bolding, Williams or any other very good WR but at this point, that possability has apparently not presented itself. We have who we have right now and if TO goes down, then we are in for a long season. To me, those are the facts.

Very good points. To me, the Cowboys passing on a WR in the draft is a kin to the Skins passing on a DE/DT.