Creed Humphrey

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Moss would’ve made us one of the better teams in the league for a long time vs being really bad for several years and mediocre a couple.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Claireborn over.......take your pik
In retrospect, it should have been Fletcher Cox.

I wasn’t mad at taking Claiborne. He and Janoris Jenkins were CB 1a and 1b that year, but Jenkins had baggage.

And what we gave up to get there was slightly in our favor (pick 45 for an 8 spot jump).

But in retrospect it was dumb to take a player they hand not met with, and as a general rule of thumb… don’t trade a 1st or 2nd to move up in the draft unless it’s for a QB or generational talent.

We could have had Fletcher Cox and Alston Jeffrey instead.

Both guys would go on to help the eagles win a Super Bowl 5 years later.

sbark

Reaction score

I wasn’t mad at taking Claiborne. He and Janoris Jenkins were CB 1a and 1b that year, but Jenkins had baggage.

And what we gave up to get there was slightly in our favor (pick 45 for an 8 spot jump).

But in retrospect it was dumb to take a player they hand not met with, and as a general rule of thumb… don’t trade a 1st or 2nd to move up in the draft unless it’s for a QB or generational talent.

Add in the great Seattle MLB as a possible choice

Agree on F.Cox.....a stud

kskboys

Reaction score
He turned out to be a good player......... AFTER Parcels took over , changed the defense, and moved him to OLB at age 31. He finally recorded a double digit sack year and made his first pro bowl at age 32. He was just an average NFL DE prior to the switch. But, he will always most be remembered as the guy we drafted instead of Randy Moss. It was Jerry's biggest mistake and he even admits it. We had a big need at WR at the time, and that whiff set in motion a chain of events that the organization never recovered. ..... that period during the late 90's when the dynasty fully unraveled was just one Jerry blunder after another and culminated in 3 straight 5-11 seasons under Campo.
No matter what Jerry says, Moss was far from his biggest mistake. Drafting Mo, for instance, was a much bigger mistake.

kskboys

Reaction score

You mean Brockers. We picked at 14, Cox went 12th.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Add in the great Seattle MLB as a possible choice

Agree on F.Cox.....a stud
He was also a possibility for sure. Although we had taken Lee and Carter in the 2nd round the previous 2 years, which is why I skipped over Wagner.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
You mean Brockers. We picked at 14, Cox went 12th.
Forgot that Cox went just before 14.

My bad.

Either we would have had Cox at 6 and no 2nd rounder, or someone like Brockers, Ingram, or DeCastro as a possibility at 14 and kept the 45th pick.

IIRC, the primary debate that year was Brockers v Cox on CZ, so half the board would have been disappointed with the brockers pick, haha

Hardline

Reaction score
If you knew all the players I would've taken over what we took throughout the years .You would want me running the Cowboys draft.
I miss sometimes but my prediction for getting it right rating is off the charts.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No matter what Jerry says, Moss was far from his biggest mistake. Drafting Mo, for instance, was a much bigger mistake.
Well, I think it was worse b/c the cowboys didn't just pass on Moss. They vocally passed on him and explained it all to the media. Moss went on to a HOF career. Sure we drafted Mo and it was a mistake, bit its not like the pick came down to Mo and a HOF player.

Swanny

Reaction score
He turned out to be a good player......... AFTER Parcels took over , changed the defense, and moved him to OLB at age 31. He finally recorded a double digit sack year and made his first pro bowl at age 32. He was just an average NFL DE prior to the switch. But, he will always most be remembered as the guy we drafted instead of Randy Moss. It was Jerry's biggest mistake and he even admits it. We had a big need at WR at the time, and that whiff set in motion a chain of events that the organization never recovered. ..... that period during the late 90's when the dynasty fully unraveled was just one Jerry blunder after another and culminated in 3 straight 5-11 seasons under Campo.
He was a good player from the start. He was no Randy Moss obviously but that does not mean Greg Ellis was a bad player. He was good. A decent first round pick. If he didn't have Randy Moss tied to his hip nobody would complain about the pick. Obviously it's a mistake not taking Moss. It was a mistake for everyone that passed on him.

kskboys

Reaction score
Well, I think it was worse b/c the cowboys didn't just pass on Moss. They vocally passed on him and explained it all to the media. Moss went on to a HOF career. Sure we drafted Mo and it was a mistake, bit its not like the pick came down to Mo and a HOF player.
Fletcher Cox, Luke Keuchly, both HOF worthy. And by trading up for MO, we passed on Bobby Wagner, who is a HOFer.

The Brockers/Wagner combo might've put us in the super bowl, and would've kept us from drafting Jaylon.

kskboys

Reaction score
Forgot that Cox went just before 14.

My bad.

Either we would have had Cox at 6 and no 2nd rounder, or someone like Brockers, Ingram, or DeCastro as a possibility at 14 and kept the 45th pick.

IIRC, the primary debate that year was Brockers v Cox on CZ, so half the board would have been disappointed with the brockers pick, haha
It would've been Brockers/Wagner. Yes, I'm still POed.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was a good player from the start. He was no Randy Moss obviously but that does not mean Greg Ellis was a bad player. He was good. A decent first round pick. If he didn't have Randy Moss tied to his hip nobody would complain about the pick. Obviously it's a mistake not taking Moss. It was a mistake for everyone that passed on him.
He was not worth the 8th overall pick in the draft. He was an average NFL DE. Consistent but nothing special......until Parcels arrived. Greg finally made a pro bowl in his 10th season.

Passing on Moss was a bigger mistake for us b/c unlike many of the other teams drafting around us, we had a desperate need at WR. Everyone had Moss mocked to us.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fletcher Cox, Luke Keuchly, both HOF worthy. And by trading up for MO, we passed on Bobby Wagner, who is a HOFer.

The Brockers/Wagner combo might've put us in the super bowl, and would've kept us from drafting Jaylon.
Right but nobody in Dallas was saying the pick came down to any of those players and Mo. The Cowboy were tied to Moss throughout the offseason and most mock drafts. Us not taking him was national news even before Moss played a game. Moss thought he was going to Dallas. Jerry has never talked about passing on Fletcher Cox or Kuechly. Those guys were never on our radar.

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
Remember, the Eagles traded with us to move UP, and we ended up taking Parsons. Basically, we got Parsons *and* a pick. In any redo of his draft year, he's probably the #1 overall pick. Again, all teams can look back in retrospect and point to draft picks they SHOULD have made.
Every damn team in every generation has a "shoulda, coulda, woulda". Nothing beats the USFL supplemental draft when the Giants had a young LT and passed on Reggie White. Could you imagine, who many believe the greatest and second greatest defensive players ever, both
coming after the QB.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
mazi smith over notre dame te michael mayer.
i wanted the mayer of south bend.
i'm a notre dame homer.
but he looked like a cowboys te.
cheers and go♧irish.
Mayer played against the Cowboys in the raiders game where they were facing our backups. He looked pretty average at best.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Moss would’ve made us one of the better teams in the league for a long time vs being really bad for several years and mediocre a couple.
BS. A WR does not block the DLine; a WR does not attack the Oline; does not defend the pass
Get the point?
We were going downhill fast when we COULD have drafted him.
He would have made little difference