Cris Carter on Dez: He's not a great route runner

risco

Reaction score
The only QB who seems to have an idea where Dez is going on a consistent basis is Tony Romo.
I seriously doubt that- even with Tony, Dez has been seen on the sideline going crazy because he's not getting the ball. Dez seems to be embarrassed to be a team player. But most importantly, Dez needs to be a better WR and overall player. I truly believed that the early success the team was having without him would trigger something in him to make him better at his craft.

Verdict

Reaction score
why is he qualified? what makes him special. He never won anything, never even played in a super bowl and that is your standard for players right?

Chris cater was one of the best receivers of all time. Moreover Cater was a lot like DEz, and matured, a lot, to become a lot more like the person we WANT Dez to be. Dez should listen up.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I've always assumed it was one of the few things not really debatable around here. :laugh:

No, Dez has not been a great route-runner.
Is he better than he was his first two years? Yes.
Is he on the level of other top WRs as a route-runner (like Brown this weekend)? No

he's still a stud though

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
The only QB who seems to have an idea where Dez is going on a consistent basis is Tony Romo.
"You're the best receiver in this game so act like it!!" Tony Romo

Tony will whip him into shape...trust and believe.

odog422

Reaction score
Chris cater was one of the best receivers of all time. Moreover Cater was a lot like DEz, and matured, a lot, to become a lot more like the person we WANT Dez to be. Dez should listen up.

Carter got sober after getting cut. That's when he became a "professional" and worked on his game. Many would say that's maturing- recognizing the problem and taking responsibility for it.

I respect he made the change and I also agree on his take about Dez when it comes to Dez not improving his game. Route running: compare clips of the routes TWill runs to Dez. TWill leaves people twisted and gets wide open. Usually Coverage on Dez runs with him the whole route - his routes aren't a hard cover per se because of how he runs them.

With catching the ball. The shoulda been PI in the end zone where he was grabbed - I saw jimmy graham have the same thing happen to him that Dez did - CB pulled down the near hand. Graham one handed it for TD. Those are elite plays Dez has the talent and strength to make.

Not down on him, just saying I'd like to see him bring the same intensity to self improvement (route running) and catching the ball that I see on the sideline when things aren't going his way. Right now he's shown that he has talent, but appears content to get by on that and seems easily distracted. And I really can't ever recall him beating double coverage. Even though with the proper work, I think he could.

Just my take.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score

Dez should not listen to anyone outside of the building directly helping him at all.

Carter was on this same interview saying dez is mad and wants more targets speculating that he doesnt get along with dak.

Dez has never been thrown off a team for drugs and not doing his job the way Carter was. He was thrown off a buddy ryan team no less.

he is nothing like carter. Dez basically raised himself and has had to learn how to mature and go forward.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
I think if anyone has the right to criticize Dez it's a guy like Carter or Moss.

Do you agree with Chris?

Carter is an *****' loser but yes, Dez is not a great route runner. Frankly, Romo is the only one who can get the most out of him because of Romo's quick processing and reaction time. It's a bit sandlot between Romo and Dez -- Dez will improvise, Romo is good enough and quick enough to take advantage.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
He's 100% correct. Dez is a very poor route runner. This goes back to his days in college. He just got by on his athletic ability and just being bigger than the defenders. It's why we only run him on very limited types of routes. He doesn't have the ability like our other WRs to run a variety of routes. His cuts are poor. Hence why we hardly run him over the middle. He's good on fades and go routes. Which require very little precision.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
I don't agree with him being on that show that has an ignorant no nothing "analyst".

But, yes, I do agree with Carter. Dez doesn't seem to get the separation , nor run the crisp routes I had seen a few times in games a couple of years ago.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I don't think anybody has ever confused Dez with being a great route runner. But, that's not his problems this season. He got hurt which hasn't helped, but the bigger issue is the routes that he runs require more seasoned anticipation from the QB and Dak isn't quite at that level, yet. That's why Romo has had great success with Dez.

I have yet to watch the Browns game in full on All-22, but Dez was open often against the Eagles and if Dak didn't play so poorly, Dez would have dominated the entire game.

YR

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I don't agree with him being on that show that has an ignorant no nothing "analyst".

But, yes, I do agree with Carter. Dez doesn't seem to get the separation , nor run the crisp routes I had seen a few times in games a couple of years ago.

He got separation plenty of times against the G-Men and the Eagles. Dak didn't do his job on that front.

YR

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
A few times he did.. Seems other WR's are getting better separation, and open. While Dak hasn't been perfect, Dez is far from playing like a #1 WR. They both need work. More time together to gel. That would be good.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I don't want Dez telling young kids to get friends to take the blame for things he does thank you very much.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
At this point in his career, you just gotta take Dez for what he is. He's a very good WR in this league and every bit a #1 WR. Is he the best or in that discussion? I don't think so and obviously he has some weaknesses. If he's not on the level of Antonio Brown/Julio/etc. then fine...there have been plenty of WRs to play in this league who weren't on par with the elite tier of their generation but they were still very good and had productive/winning careers.