Cris Collinsworth -- Jaelan Phillips is the best defensive player in the draft

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Lol, based on what?
Size matters in a game of inches. Just like a defense can't succeed with 5'10" DB's and 5'11" LB's...they need bigger DL.

Name a big and physical defense, throughout history, that has struggled in back to back years. If we keep our less than 6'4" 270--DE's then we need bigger, longer DT's to fill those voids.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Size matters in a game of inches. Just like a defense can't succeed with 5'10" DB's and 5'11" LB's...they need bigger DL.

Name a big and physical defense, throughout history, that has struggled in back to back years. If we keep our less than 6'4" 270--DE's then we need bigger, longer DT's to fill those voids.

He’s 6’-5” 257.

But never mind the fact he didn’t register a single sack last year and had only 7 his entire career.

fivetwos

Reaction score
6’5 265 Phillips

6’3 245 Ojulari

Not only is he bigger but looks much more athletic on film.

Phillips finesse game is on point and he just sheds guys like it’s nothing with his length and technique.

He is a prototype.

Ojulari looks like an end of the first round talent and Phillips looks like a top 5 pick.
The heights and weight mean zero when it comes to getting to the QB and you know that.

Phillips may be the slightly better player but the concussion thing isn't nothing.

Also, yet again I have a die hard UM fan friend that says that his money long term is on Rousseau over Phillips. He knows his stuff.

I can't discount that.

I would say this however, I'd rather chance Phillips then take the obvious safe route with Surtain.

Getting to the QB is the point, and I dont particularly care who does it, as long as they have a star on the hat.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My understanding of Phillips' situation is he was medically retired by UCLA and had to transfer to Miami to get back on the field.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The heights and weight mean zero when it comes to getting to the QB and you know that.

Phillips may be the slightly better player but the concussion thing isn't nothing.

Also, yet again I have a die hard UM fan friend that says that his money long term is on Rousseau over Phillips. He knows his stuff.

I can't discount that.

I would say this however, I'd rather chance Phillips then take the obvious safe route with Surtain.

Getting to the QB is the point, and I dont particularly care who does it, as long as they have a star on the hat.

I disagree about height and weight.

There is a prototype pass rusher for a reason.

From Charles Haley, Julius Peppers, Myles Garrett, and on and on and on.

The tall big athletic guy who can bend the edge and swat away blockers hands are usually the best.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He definitely is the best defensive prospect in the draft.

Folks have gone off the deep end with the concussions.

In 2018, he suffered his first major injury (ankle), then twisted the other, then broke his wrist (had two surgeries), then had a run of concussions all in one season. That’s what led him down the path of contemplating football and taking a step back.

The concussions have not cropped up as a problem since. I’m interested in hearing the scuttlebutt from his medicals in a few weeks, but if he checks out I wouldn’t blink twice drafting him at #10.
Don’t get me wrong, 3 concussions is never good and definitely cause for concern...but I also think you’d be eliminating a very large percentage of football players if that’s your limit on head injuries. He had a year + off and didn’t have issues at Miami so you’d be looking at almost 3 years concussion free going into the the NFL.
I just really hope he has good information. I know what its like dealing with the long term effects of concussions

Judging by the fact he considered walking away and decided against it, Im guessing he got the information he needed from DR's to feel safe with continuing a football career

fivetwos

Reaction score
I disagree about height and weight.

There is a prototype pass rusher for a reason.

From Charles Haley, Julius Peppers, Myles Garrett, and on and on and on.

The tall big athletic guy who can bend the edge and swat away blockers hands are usually the best.
All good.

You're not worried at all that he quit once before with no money at all....then bringing him into our entitled environment? I am a little.

Just debating, not arguing. I want the best fit same as you.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
1 thing we got going for us is Lawrence and Gregory will allow him to not have to play a ton early on and I think that would help to limit his risk.

So Gregory and Lawrence is one of the best things we have going for us yet you want to take a de with concussion issues? Another laughable post on a long line of laughers.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
All good.

You're not worried at all that he quit once before with no money at all....then bringing him into our entitled environment? I am a little.

Just debating, not arguing. I want the best fit same as you.

If his medical checks out I’m taking him over a corner all day every day.

That is how you win in this league on defense.

Corners are at a huge disadvantage.. DL can still make a big impact on games as long as they don’t hit a QB low or touch their face mask.

This is a bigtime talent. I don’t have access to everything scouts have access to as far as information but his college film is a Green light for me.

This is a premium talent at the most premium position on defense.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
We. As fans simply don’t have the information needed to make an informed decision on Phillips.

To make the best choice on where to slot him, the team will have to talk to his doctors, team doctors, his UCLA coaches, his Miami coaches, probably some team mates from both schools, and then have a chance to talk to him and ask questions. Only then can a good decision be made about a multi-million dollar choice.

It isn’t perfect but it is the best you can do to gauge his love of the game, competitiveness, and long term health.

In short: We lack the information needed to decide if and where Phillips should be drafted. By draft day, the Cowboys will know these things.

As for the player... I think he’s a very good prospect and I wish he didn’t have the questions because there would probably be a good chance that he’d be the pick at 10. If his health and love of the game are right, I think he’s going to be a double digit sack guy for a long time.

fivetwos

Reaction score
If his medical checks out I’m taking him over a corner all day every day.

That is how you win in this league on defense.

Corners are at a huge disadvantage.. DL can still make a big impact on games as long as they don’t hit a QB low or touch their face mask.

This is a bigtime talent. I don’t have access to everything scouts have access to as far as information but his college film is a Green light for me.

This is a premium talent at the most premium position on defense.
I hear you.

I just don't think it can be completely ignored.

Ron Leary....UDFA because of a supposed knee issue. He was able to play long enough to be worth a reasonably high pick.

Sean Lee....Dallas had him ranked 15th overall. In no way could they have accounted for his injury history in college in that case. Other teams drop him due to that and he is there in the second round. He was a great player when on the field, but not really on it enough. The injury concerns were legit.

Hey, we all know there are gonna also be guys that are straight busts just because as well.

It's a matter of risk vs reward.

Phillips seems like the kind of guy Jerry would want to roll with but the kid says no.

Again though, I can't complain about that....I want a rusher as well with that top pick, but the safer route in Ojulari is where I lean, although it's close.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
We. As fans simply don’t have the information needed to make an informed decision on Phillips.

To make the best choice on where to slot him, the team will have to talk to his doctors, team doctors, his UCLA coaches, his Miami coaches, probably some team mates from both schools, and then have a chance to talk to him and ask questions. Only then can a good decision be made about a multi-million dollar choice.

It isn’t perfect but it is the best you can do to gauge his love of the game, competitiveness, and long term health.

In short: We lack the information needed to decide if and where Phillips should be drafted. By draft day, the Cowboys will know these things.

As for the player... I think he’s a very good prospect and I wish he didn’t have the questions because there would probably be a good chance that he’d be the pick at 10. If his health and love of the game are right, I think he’s going to be a double digit sack guy for a long time.

Yep, that all goes without saying.

I’m just saying if his medicals check-out I’ve got zero issues drafting him even as high as #10.

The whole question of “does he love the game” isn’t even on my radar. Guys that don’t love the game don’t play with the kind of effort he shows on backside pursuit chasing down a running back or receiver on a bubble screen.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Yep, that all goes without saying.

I’m just saying if his medicals check-out I’ve got zero issues drafting him even as high as #10.

The whole question of “does he love the game” isn’t even on my radar. Guys that don’t love the game don’t play with the kind of effort he shows on backside pursuit chasing down a running back or receiver on a bubble screen.
Yeah, I don’t disagree. It is just my feeling that “love of the game” should be gauged for every potential draft pick, no matter what.

The guys who love to play the game, practice the game, and study the game are the one’s who I’d want on my team.

So really, with that part I wasn’t being specific to Phillips... it is just something I’d dig into for every prospect.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Best pass rusher in the draft. Too much medical baggage and other baggage to take at 10. If I were a playoff team it might be worth the risk in round 1. Passing on this player at 10 is the responsible thing to do.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I hear you.

I just don't think it can be completely ignored.

Ron Leary....UDFA because of a supposed knee issue. He was able to play long enough to be worth a reasonably high pick.

Sean Lee....Dallas had him ranked 15th overall. In no way could they have accounted for his injury history in college in that case. Other teams drop him due to that and he is there in the second round. He was a great player when on the field, but not really on it enough. The injury concerns were legit.

Hey, we all know there are gonna also be guys that are straight busts just because as well.

It's a matter of risk vs reward.

Phillips seems like the kind of guy Jerry would want to roll with but the kid says no.

Again though, I can't complain about that....I want a rusher as well with that top pick, but the safer route in Ojulari is where I lean, although it's close.

I don’t like safe..

Dallas doesn’t need safe or solid players.

We need some big splash play guys.. Especially on defense.

I get what you’re saying for sure but we need to make high ceiling moves.

Being a smart football team has got us no where and we are constantly doing the text book thing to do.

If they take Jaycee Horn or Surtain then I don’t blame them but Phillips is a guy that potentially changes a defense.

You got a chance to add a Joey Bosa starter kit to your team.

The absolute dream for me would be to move back and get Horn and then move up from pick 44 and get Phillips I just don’t know how realistic that is but that would go a long long way to turning this defense around.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I don’t like safe..

Being a smart football team has got us no where and we are constantly doing the text book thing to do.

If they take Jaycee Horn or Surtain then I don’t blame them but Phillips is a guy that potentially changes a defense.

The absolute dream for me would be to move back and get Horn and then move up from pick 44 and get Phillips I just don’t know how realistic that is but that would go a long long way to turning this defense around.
You think this has been a smart football team ? Lol

fivetwos

Reaction score
I don’t like safe..

I don't disagree at all.

I just don't see as much of a difference between Ojulari and Phillips as you do.

I won't be unhappy if Phillips is the pick.....its definitely a better strategy than to try to cover all day.

Remember the team has leaned toward safe when the kid got his credibility talking dad out of a couple of bad QBs.

fivetwos

Reaction score
What do they do that’s not textbook?

We almost never take risks anymore.
Surtain is definitely a Greg Ellis type selection. Safe.

Nothing spectacular about him, but may have the lowest floor of anyone in the top 10 mix.

As I said above, the team has taken on quite a safe approach (except when in negotiations with their own draft picks) since the kid has gotten more say.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
What do they do that’s not textbook?

We almost never take risks anymore.
IMO taking risks are not the issue, making very questionable decisions from a coaching and player standpoint are the issues.