Cris Collinsworth -- Jaelan Phillips is the best defensive player in the draft

Cowboyny

Reaction score
He definitely is the best defensive prospect in the draft.

Folks have gone off the deep end with the concussions.

In 2018, he suffered his first major injury (ankle), then twisted the other, then broke his wrist (had two surgeries), then had a run of concussions all in one season. That’s what led him down the path of contemplating football and taking a step back.

The concussions have not cropped up as a problem since. I’m interested in hearing the scuttlebutt from his medicals in a few weeks, but if he checks out I wouldn’t blink twice drafting him at #10.
It all comes down to what our doctors think.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
A team-building process.

DLaw is 29, & trending downward.
Gregory, and Armstrong are free agents after the 2021 season.
Anae is a fifth-round selection from the previous defense coaching regime.
Basham signed a two-year contract as a free agent.

The Dallas defensive line is devoid of talent, and young promising game-changers.

The idea that Dallas finds blue-chipper edge rushers later in the draft -- look at these gems since 2008:
Erik Walden, Brandon Williams, Sean Lissemore, Crawford, Ben Gardner, Ken Bishop, Gregory, Ryan Russell, Tapper, Collins, Ivie, Carrell, Armstrong, Jackson, & Jelks.

Given the high significance and importance of the position, the difficulty of drafting quality edge rushers in later rounds, you grab the best edge rusher in the draft early, and you immediately upgrade not only the DL, but elevate the overall defense (in particular, the secondary) by having the one player who can single-handedly pressure, and disrupt the QB.

Don't draft by being sacred -- sacred of what might happen.

Draft the best player at the most impactful position, and thus your overall team--building improves for the future.

Dilly Dilly.. You’re on fuego lately.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think being out of football in 2019 actually helped him. I'm not seeing any major injuries reported for the 2020 season and he still had high production. I'd expect him to be ok medically and then would consider him at 10. If my board says he's the best defensive player, just draft him and go.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Questionable medicals yet extreme talented? Hmm?!?! Jaylon Smith, Randy Gregory, Bruce Carter, Sean Lee ...

With the 44 pick in the draft the Cowboys select ...

rambo2

Reaction score
No right or wrong answer on Phillips and any pick in general. He could go high and flame out or he could drop and have an outstanding career. He certainly has the talent to be an interesting player in the draft. He could go anywhere between 10 and 36. I'd like to get him somewhere between 20 and 36. I would be ok with drafting Pitts, Sewell, or Surtain at 10 and then try and trade up from 44 for Phillips. They could even trade back to 13 or 15 and still get Surtain or Horn and have more draft capital to trade back up for Phillips, or Moehrig, or Onwuzurike.

John813

Reaction score
I'm just going to throw this out there... You may disagree....

I think you can avoid taking shots to the head that would cause a concussion a lot easier than almost any other position as a DE besides OL.

Also, he'd be rotating for a year or 2 because of Lawrence & Gregory so he wouldn't be over exposed.

I agree. Outside of fluke plays I can't think of too many times a DE can get blown up to the point of a concussion.

He would be rotated in which would be perfect for development but not running him out there every down wearing him out his rookie year.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
This guy should be our pick.

Outside of some medical concern or something else that we fans don’t get knowledge of there is no way the Cowboys should be passing on this player.

This is an opportunity that they need to capitalize on.

You don’t pass on players like this.

fivetwos

Reaction score
A team-building process.

DLaw is 29, & trending downward.
Gregory, and Armstrong are free agents after the 2021 season.
Anae is a fifth-round selection from the previous defense coaching regime.
Basham signed a two-year contract as a free agent.

The Dallas defensive line is devoid of talent, and young promising game-changers.

The idea that Dallas finds blue-chipper edge rushers later in the draft -- look at these gems since 2008:
Erik Walden, Brandon Williams, Sean Lissemore, Crawford, Ben Gardner, Ken Bishop, Gregory, Ryan Russell, Tapper, Collins, Ivie, Carrell, Armstrong, Jackson, & Jelks.

Given the high significance and importance of the position, the difficulty of drafting quality edge rushers in later rounds, you grab the best edge rusher in the draft early, and you immediately upgrade not only the DL, but elevate the overall defense (in particular, the secondary) by having the one player who can single-handedly pressure, and disrupt the QB.

Don't draft by being sacred -- sacred of what might happen.

Draft the best player at the most impactful position, and thus your overall team--building improves for the future.
Tremendous post.

Now I'd like to hear from everyone on board why Phillips is the better pick than Ojulari, all considered.

I don't think he is.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Not buying Phillips is best defensive player in draft. Most of his splash plays come from being totally unblocked - not gonna get that in the NFL except on rare occasion. Ojulari is best D player in my book.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
Major medical concerns AND a head case? Our 2nd rounder has been found!

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Jayson Oweh is the best pass rusher in the draft.

But if you have too many smallish DL you'll struggle to stop the run. Our current DE's are need 6'6" DT's to help them out. Isaiah Loudermilk would be good if we can get him in the fourth.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Tremendous post.

Now I'd like to hear from everyone on board why Phillips is the better pick than Ojulari, all considered.

I don't think he is.

6’5 265 Phillips

6’3 245 Ojulari

Not only is he bigger but looks much more athletic on film.

Phillips finesse game is on point and he just sheds guys like it’s nothing with his length and technique.

He is a prototype.

Ojulari looks like an end of the first round talent and Phillips looks like a top 5 pick.

rambo2

Reaction score
Tremendous post.

I don't think he is.
From looking at both, Phillips has more tackles and more tackles for loss. Phillips has better stats and technique in my opinion. Phillips usually beats his opponent and if he doesn't he figures it out and beats him later on in the game. Phillips is a longer, taller, faster athlete. Phillips is a little faster and a little quicker.

rambo2

Reaction score
You would be correct: I conjured up my comment based on other comments read here.
Again I urge you to actually go and watch him on several videos. He could be just the guy to put the Cowboys over the top. He has the potential of being a dominant player in the league.

rambo2

Reaction score
If the Cowboys trade back, I would go ahead and take Phillips if he is still on the board. I would risk it and take him between 13 and 22. He has too much upside for me to pass on him.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
Again I urge you to actually go and watch him on several videos. He could be just the guy to put the Cowboys over the top. He has the potential of being a dominant player in the league.

Will do.